E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Akebono vs PowerStop Z16 vs Z23

04-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Akebono vs PowerStop Z16 vs Z23

I installed new rotors and pads a few months ago, specifically the Centric PQ-PRO pads because the marketing material said something about low noise and low dust. They are squealing badly when lightly braking at low speed despite applying synthetic brake grease on the ears and applying a quieting compound (permatex) on the backs of the pads. I've removed them twice already, cleaned them and the calipers, and reinstalled with grease on the ears and anti-squeal on the backing, yet they're still noisy. Braking performance is great, but they are also extremely dusty just like the OEM BMW (Textar?) pads.

I'm tired of the noise and tired of my wheels getting dirty just a day or two after cleaning them so I want to install ceramic pads - Akebono, Powerstop Z16, or PowerStop Z23.

Akebonos sound nice, but I heard some old reports about them clunking when changing direction. Is this still an issue?

I'm leaning toward the Z16 because they're cheap and this is just a daily driver, no track usage and just some occasional canyon cruising at the posted speed limits. These don't include any hardware, but I installed all new guide pin bushings, plastic caps, and new retainer clips when I last replaced my brakes a few months ago and have no problem reusing them.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I installed new rotors and pads a few months ago, specifically the Centric PQ-PRO pads because the marketing material said something about low noise and low dust. They are squealing badly when lightly braking at low speed despite applying synthetic brake grease on the ears and applying a quieting compound (permatex) on the backs of the pads. I've removed them twice already, cleaned them and the calipers, and reinstalled with grease on the ears and anti-squeal on the backing, yet they're still noisy. Braking performance is great, but they are also extremely dusty just like the OEM BMW (Textar?) pads.

I'm tired of the noise and tired of my wheels getting dirty just a day or two after cleaning them so I want to install ceramic pads - Akebono, Powerstop Z16, or PowerStop Z23.

Akebonos sound nice, but I heard some old reports about them clunking when changing direction. Is this still an issue?

I'm leaning toward the Z16 because they're cheap and this is just a daily driver, no track usage and just some occasional canyon cruising at the posted speed limits. These don't include any hardware, but I installed all new guide pin bushings, plastic caps, and new retainer clips when I last replaced my brakes a few months ago and have no problem reusing them.
I run the Akebonos on both of my cars and they are super quiet and never had any issues with either car, front and rear ever clunking or any strange noises. Now keeping in mind these are definitely not going to be as effective for stopping as the OEM pads because they are ceramic IMHO the trade off is worth it. Oh yeah and brake dust is basically non existent (maybe the tiniest amount) with the Akebono pads.

for the record I run the Zimmerman Z coated rotor and the Akebono pads... they are a great combination and rust free thanks to the Z coated rotors on the hub and other parts the pads don't touch.
Appreciate 1
feuer4282.50
      04-23-2020, 01:09 AM   #3
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookalikehuuh View Post
I run the Akebonos on both of my cars and they are super quiet and never had any issues with either car, front and rear ever clunking or any strange noises. Now keeping in mind these are definitely not going to be as effective for stopping as the OEM pads because they are ceramic IMHO the trade off is worth it. Oh yeah and brake dust is basically non existent (maybe the tiniest amount) with the Akebono pads.

for the record I run the Zimmerman Z coated rotor and the Akebono pads... they are a great combination and rust free thanks to the Z coated rotors on the hub and other parts the pads don't touch.
Thank you! I'm leaning toward the Akebono pads, just wanted to make sure there are no issues with clunking. I was considering the Power Stop rotors for half the price, but have heard a few not so great things about them.

I really don't care about losing that bite from the OEM pads, the amount of brake dust is absurd. Also the noises I'm currently getting despite using anti-squeal, and even removing the pads cleaning them and reinstalling them with more anti-squeal and silicone grease.

I'm currently running Pagid high carbon rotors which are coated, so no rust issues. They're only six months old so practically new. I just need to ditch these Centric PQ PRO pads I currently have.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 08:25 PM   #4
E90Dom
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Did you end up going with the Akebono or something else?

How have they been holding up?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2023, 09:26 PM   #5
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Power stop make good track pads. Their street pads are just ok. For street and zero dust Akebono is better option.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 12:45 AM   #6
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Dom View Post
Did you end up going with the Akebono or something else?

How have they been holding up?
I installed Akebono pads and they're great. No clunking, no squealing, nearly zero dust. I did notice the difference in initial bite compared to the old Textar pads, but it's not a bad thing. You adapt easily to it and forget anything about it after a short drive.

Ironically I bought a 330i shortly after making the original post which came with Akebono pads on the front and Textar pads in the rear, so if I don't wash my car for a few weeks the front wheels are still silver while the rear wheels look dark gray from all the dust.
Appreciate 1
feuer4282.50
      04-19-2023, 10:39 AM   #7
mattanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Recently installed the Akebono pads as part of my brake refresh, as well.

The reduction in brake dust is massive, and they feel great for spirited street driving. For street pads, they seem hard to beat.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 11:59 AM   #8
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I've tried a few others, and I keep coming back to the OE pads. Nothing seems to have the same bite for me.
Appreciate 0