E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > left inside brake pad wore out fastest. concerned?? EDIT: the pins look good. The pis

05-24-2023, 10:41 AM   #1
MaconPaul
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i Convertible 6M

left inside brake pad wore out fastest. concerned?? EDIT: the pins look good. The pis

I have many years old brakes on my e93. The dash said 1200 miles left on them but no brake light yet. Front right started grinding. I took the pads and disc off yesterday. The front left they were worn but functional. The sensor was just getting eaten into. The right side the inner was metal on metal while the outside were very thin. I’m gonna attach pics. Should this 1 or 2000 mile difference in wear pattern be a concern?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2023, 11:50 AM   #2
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Maybe the caliper piston or the slide pins are sticking. I change out the rubber bushings with each set of pads. The instructions say not to use grease, but some members claimed to see residuals on their pins.

Check to see if the caliper piston is easy to push back into the caliper, clean the pins as well as the bracket. Aftermarket rebuild kits are inexpensive, therefore maybe try rebuilding it for $3 plus shipping. I would rebuild both sides just to see.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...epair+kit,1720

Bushings are $5.30 per axle FVP brand:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+bushing,11515
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2023, 04:26 PM   #3
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

I had similar problem when i greased the pins and some dirt got attached to it.

Thus the sliding pins were pretty sticky & stucky and inner one wore out faster.

I don't grease them and now i checked new pads for wear when was adding mud flaps - looked even.

Lots of controversy for this but nobody specifies where they drive only some theory and references to documents.

I drive multiple times per day on gravel road where is very sandy - that's why i won't put grease there.
100% city driving - probably won't matter. I wouldn't put since it's open to weather elements design.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2023, 05:18 PM   #4
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

That looks perfectly normal. One hit backing plate, but they are all down to less than 1/8"

Getting them to all wear down perfectly evenly is just chasing your tail.
      05-25-2023, 09:15 AM   #5
Eriksson7700
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i RWD 6AT

This is 100% normal. The inside pad always wears faster on older cars because that’s where the force is being applied by the piston. I’ve done some cars where the inside pad is 3mm and outside can be 6mm. It’s just because of worn out braking system. No concerns there.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2023, 06:01 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'd say your right front brake caliper has a slightly sticking piston. Have you been replacing the brake fluid every 24 months? You've probably already replaced the brakes and buttoned it up, but if not, you should open the bleed screw and push the piston back in with it open to get the oldest fluid out of the caliper. Then once the system is back together, flush out the old brake fluid.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1