E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > new to bmw

09-24-2023, 12:41 PM   #1
just_that_guy
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw

new to bmw

Hi im new to bmw so i dont know anything about them let alone e90s but im currently looking at upgrading my current daily. Im sorry in advance if you get these questions asked frequently and have to deal with them.

But how reliable are the e90s sedans with automatic? Do they make good daily drivers? Are they pretty easy to work on yourself? What is the mpg like? Are they expensive to maintain and insure?

I know it all varies from person to person, i just want a general idea of how these cars are thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 01:42 PM   #2
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_that_guy View Post
Hi im new to bmw so i dont know anything about them let alone e90s but im currently looking at upgrading my current daily. Im sorry in advance if you get these questions asked frequently and have to deal with them.

But how reliable are the e90s sedans with automatic? Do they make good daily drivers? Are they pretty easy to work on yourself? What is the mpg like? Are they expensive to maintain and insure?

I know it all varies from person to person, i just want a general idea of how these cars are thanks in advance.
E90s are fantastic cars. Once you have the bug, it's hard to shake off. They are inexpensive entry level cars you can get for around $5-$8000 for good ones. Don't worry about the overall mileage so much, but focus on finding one that has been exceptionally maintained and documented. Seriously better to get a 200k car from a single OCD owner than a 100k car with five owners from a used car lot.

Avoid an X drive car unless you truly need the AWD capability. Otherwise it's a maintenance hassle, lowers your MPG, and steering is slower. Think really hard about your location, commute, and needs. If you really need the AWD capability, look at a 2011 or 12 X3. Same engine but in a wagon on stilts! Significantly better ground clearance to clear all those snow drifts!

Avoid cars from mid-west and northeast due to rust/corrosion. Southern/Florida cars have potential for water damage, so really research. West coast cars are good ones but can lead a hard life in hot climate. PNW are the best IMHO.

Parts are plentiful, community is legit, most repairs are straightforward and highly documented here and on youtube. Start with the N52 straight six. Great motor with minimal problems. I would say don't get a 335i turbo car till you know you way around the N52. 2006 330i model year is the best due to the fancy intake that gives you an extra 20 or so h.p. from the factory.

Auto trans is solid IF maintained (see previous point re. maintenance).

Gas mileage kind of sucks by contemporary standards. They get close to 30mpg cruising on the freeway which is pretty good, but as low as 17mpg in the city, which sucks. Depends on your commute type.

Unless it's that unicorn from a single owner that documents everything, best to get a pre-purchase inspection done. The only real big issue I like to have done before I would get a car is the oil pan gasket & engine mounts. If those have been done, the rest of the problem areas (valve cover, timing belt, oil filter housing, radiator) are easy-ish and inexpensive to DIY.

Jump in, it's worth it!!!

Last edited by StradaRedlands; 09-24-2023 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 5
      09-24-2023, 01:44 PM   #3
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
Check out the FAQ: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1517476
Appreciate 1
lowrydr3101860.00
      09-24-2023, 08:26 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

If you want an automatic, then look for a far newer BMW than an E90. Last E90 production model was 2012. So the newest one is already 12 model years old. If you find the rare car that was driven just 5,000 miles a year it will have over 60,000 miles on the clock. By asking the questions you have, it's probable you may not have the financial resources or mechanical skill set to own an old BMW.

If you are buying a BMW for the prestige of the Roundel rather than the driving dynamics and want an automatic, then get the newest model you can afford. Without good knowledge of how automobiles operate and the skillset, space, and tools required to maintain an old BMW, your experience may not be pleasant. If you are used to Japanese appliance-like reliability most old used BMWs will not provide you with a similar experience. At this point most E90 on the market are in need of intensive refurbishment.

The E90 is one of BMWs best 3-series chassis, but it takes commitment to own one at this point.
Appreciate 2
E93Dude389.00
      09-25-2023, 05:38 AM   #5
redhatcode29
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_that_guy View Post

Research the types of engines used, thats how you buy a bmw. The least should be N52.

If you have decided to buy a bimmer as old as the e90, be prepared to do an overall maintenance.

The gearbox ? You can rebuild it.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18719.50
      09-25-2023, 07:08 AM   #6
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
If you can't do most of the work yourself and have to take it to the shop every time, you're going to go bankrupt.
Appreciate 3
      09-26-2023, 10:58 AM   #7
jbellk75rt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If you want an automatic, then look for a far newer BMW than an E90. Last E90 production model was 2012. So the newest one is already 12 model years old. If you find the rare car that was driven just 5,000 miles a year it will have over 60,000 miles on the clock. By asking the questions you have, it's probable you may not have the financial resources or mechanical skill set to own an old BMW.

If you are buying a BMW for the prestige of the Roundel rather than the driving dynamics and want an automatic, then get the newest model you can afford. Without good knowledge of how automobiles operate and the skillset, space, and tools required to maintain an old BMW, your experience may not be pleasant. If you are used to Japanese appliance-like reliability most old used BMWs will not provide you with a similar experience. At this point most E90 on the market are in need of intensive refurbishment.

The E90 is one of BMWs best 3-series chassis, but it takes commitment to own one at this point.

This, though a bit harsh is the reality. Do research the various engine options as it makes a huge difference in driving and maintenance. I got lucky with mine and bought an N52 which suits my needs. Official service is horribly expensive as are parts. If you can spin your own wrenches then the price is bearable. The driving experience though is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 11:08 AM   #8
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnikon View Post
If you can't do most of the work yourself and have to take it to the shop every time, you're going to go bankrupt.
Yeah this. I have about 8000$ in parts alone. With labor that becomes what at least 15 000$?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2023, 02:47 PM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellk75rt View Post
This, though a bit harsh is the reality. Do research the various engine options as it makes a huge difference in driving and maintenance. I got lucky with mine and bought an N52 which suits my needs. Official service is horribly expensive as are parts. If you can spin your own wrenches then the price is bearable. The driving experience though is worth it.
Yeah I'd say getting a N52 and bringing it up to a good reliable point is going to cost much less compared to a N54 for example. Also depends on what previous owner did on the car already, if someone buys my car for example haha... they'll get a damn well maintained car.
Appreciate 2