E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > VANOS solenoid SOLV wiring

09-17-2023, 02:44 PM   #1
Dingsky
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 2006

VANOS solenoid SOLV wiring

Hi everyone, this is for E90 320i 2006 N46 engine.

Has anyone ever come across a situation where the wiring for the intake and exhaust solenoid valves was accidentally swapped?

In the second photo, you can see the original wiring configuration: the top cable connects to the intake solenoid, while the bottom cable connects to the exhaust solenoid valve.

When I disconnected the top cable (going to the intake) and scanned for fault codes, it indicated an error related to the exhaust. Conversely, when I swapped the cables, disconnecting the bottom cable (going to the exhaust) caused an error in the intake solenoid. This made me suspect a wiring mix-up.

However, I had reservations because when I swapped them, the wiring appeared to be crisscrossed, with the bottom connector going to the top solenoid and vice versa. To confirm, I opened up the harness and checked the wire colors:

As per wiring diagram:
White/Gray corresponds to the intake solenoid valve.
White/Red corresponds to the exhaust solenoid valve.

In the attached photo, it's clear that the top connector is indeed for the exhaust, and the bottom connector is for the intake. Could you please confirm if this is the correct wire orientation for the harness? Or could there have been previous work done on this harness by someone else?

Thank you for your insights.

Best regards,
Attached Images

Last edited by Dingsky; 09-17-2023 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 05:46 AM   #2
Dingsky
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 2006

Hmm so no one really had issue with wiring? anyone?
Appreciate 0