E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Question on BMW Coilover Rates

10-17-2023, 05:11 PM   #1
MrBearBear
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Question on BMW Coilover Rates

So i've been looking into getting some coilovers on my 335xi (2007) as it has reached 125k miles with stock suspension, and it needs some new suspension. I was looking at Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers, but am not sure of the best spring rate to order them with. Do any of yall know what the ideal spring rate is for the car? I would greatly appreciate any feedback from anyone who has coilovers, especially on a car that is daily driven. (for me, its daily driver 85% of time, 15% performance driving)
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2023, 08:15 AM   #2
Jaronbwall
Driving cars and riding bikes really fast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

MrBearBear Can't answer your question but curious which brand you choose to go with! I'm leaning towards the Bilstein b8 or BC coil overs because I daily 85% like you. I'm in the same boat. I believe one of the struts got damaged because it's throwing off the alignment (cars pulls left). Posted in the forums but didn't get much response. Firestone wouldn't align it but my spec sheet showed a front right -2.5 camber; I don't have camber plates just the m3 lower control arms so that shouldn't be possible lol
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 10:54 AM   #3
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
I can chime in. I've had FA500s for about 8 years / 90k, and I drive 70% boston city roads / 30% highway, daily driver for 3 seasons. Full susp mod list is in my garage page for reference.

They are absolutely amazing as long as you select the rear springs stiffer than their standard rates. I believe their stock rates (8k/11k) are designed for the very soft bushings in the rear of the E9x. I originally ordered my set with stock rates and the bottom mounts set to adapt with M3 LCAs, and the rear end was way too bouncy. When doing the calculations, the spring freq was completely off between front and rear.

I switched to a 14k spring and had the rear struts revalved, and the setup is perfect for me. If I were to go more of a daily driver setup, I'd consider going to a 7k front. Impressive that they have lasted this long, rebuild/revalve rates are very reasonable, and the team at FA is great to work with.
Appreciate 1