E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No Crank, No Start

10-24-2023, 08:50 AM   #1
ForestHillsJackie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

No Crank, No Start

So my new-to-me 2007 328i (automatic) won't crank at all. Here is the background:
  1. When I got the car, there was a very heavy rain in NY and due to it being parked on an incline, a lot of water went into the passenger side footwell (inches). This was vacuumed out and dried. I checked the sunroof drains and cleared a minor blockage. It hasn't recurred.
  2. I changed the spark plugs and the battery.
  3. The past week, it's taken about 4 seconds to start when it sits overnight. During the day, it starts fine.
  4. I let it sit for a couple days and when I tried to start it, won't crank at all. I threw the battery tender on for a few hours to make sure the battery was fully charged.
  5. Still won't start. I checked the CAS relay, which is fine.

I hope it's not the starter because I don't have the time to teach myself how to change it. I had already blocked out this weekend to change the OFH gasket, but looks like I have bigger problems right now.

My Carly scanner (which is something I wouldn't get again) shows these codes:

00A0B0 - at 103,087 mi
00A0B4 - at 194,712 mi
00A10A - at 213,801 mi
00A168 - at 162,143 mi

The odd thing is this car only has 162K miles on it. (I bought it from a good friend with all the service records to verify this.)

Also, I drove the car without registering the new battery (which I switched to an AGM), but it was only a week while I waited for the Carly scanner. Now that I have the scanner, the car won't start so I can't even reprogram the battery.

If I end up checking the starter, what's the most versatile tool to have in my arsenal? I have a multimeter but was thinking about getting this: https://www.amazon.com/ANCEL-Automot...lbWF0aWM&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 06:25 AM   #2
jadams161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 335i. 2011 E90 328xi

You need a new starter and motor mount to frame ground strap. No way to really check them. At 162k you can assume that it is beat. Also while you have the intake and starter out i would HIGHLY recommend replacing the CRANK sensor that sits under the starter since they are known to fail at high mileage and its only $70. Removing the intake is super easy and there a ton of youtube videos to watch. Get a NEW Bosch or Valeo starter brand only.

Those codes are worthless, you need a scanner that can actually read BMW, like Bimmergeeks Protool.

If doing the OFHG, its actually a bit easier to get to the one bolt with the intake off, so do it all. Amazon has the starters.
Also replace the plastic mickey mouse flange with the aluminum one.
Appreciate 0