E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Potentially going to buy an E90 330i -- lack of LSD question

10-28-2023, 03:55 PM   #1
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Potentially going to buy an E90 330i -- lack of LSD question

Hello.

I am looking at a really clean single owner 300i manual.

I am told that the car does not have an LSD and that creates problems for winter driving. I do intend this as a DD including the winter, but on really bad days I can borrow my son's truck or even drive the G80CX.

How difficult are these to manage in the winter without an LSD?

And does the lack of an LSD have an adverse affect on enthusiast and track driving? Can one still control rotation through power without an LSD?

This car is otherwise super clean and well maintained. I am trying to decide if lack of LSD is a deal-breaker for me.

I am looking for a second old-school car to complement my G80. The 255hp M52 is fine by me as a lighter slower car with a smaller envelope is going to be a lot more fun as a DD. We want to do the occasional track day with it, but the 330i is definitely going to be the "drive a slow car fast" kind of car to balance the G80.

Thanks.
      10-28-2023, 04:20 PM   #2
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
As an '06 MT 330i owner, I say get it and worry about the LSD later! These cars are the best E90 option IMHO, and it's a shame they only made them for one (long) year. With more naturally aspirated inline six horsepower on tap than any non M car (citation needed), it's the go-to E90! I can't say how it does in snow, probably poorly with its wide tires. But throw some skinny snow tires on it and report back with your findings!!!

Here's an example for getting LSD on the cheap:

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 04:25 PM   #3
8262S
Captain
Rep

Thanks!

This car comes with a second set of wheels and like new Blizzaks. So it has been driven in the winter, and will with us if we buy it.

I was also told that it had VANOS service done to it. Wasn't there a VANOS problem with cars of this era?

The only known issue on the car is a slight seep from the rear of the valve cover. The dealership wanted $1,200 to replace the gasket, but it never ate oil or dripped on the garage so the owner just kept any eye on it. Does that sound like a reasonable response or is the next owner going to be looking at a valve cover gasket repair?

I am frantically researching E90 330i's on this forum and elsewhere to inform myself before making a decision.

I was looking for an E46 330i, but stumbled on this E90 330i. I am looking for a fun, light, analog, NA car -- basically the opposite of our G80. Which we love, don't get me wrong!

I am trying to make a quick decision as to whether this car is "the one."
      10-28-2023, 05:54 PM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

The E90 isn't light...but it's great to drive! Be prepared to have some budget for maintenance/mods - suspension refresh, shocks/struts, valve cover gasket, etc, if you plan on doing track days at all.

I've had an eye on the racing diffs offering for ages now, but never seen a long term/DD review.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2023, 06:14 PM   #5
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
The E90 isn't light...but it's great to drive! Be prepared to have some budget for maintenance/mods - suspension refresh, shocks/struts, valve cover gasket, etc, if you plan on doing track days at all.

I've had an eye on the racing diffs offering for ages now, but never seen a long term/DD review.
Yes thanks.

It was pointed out to me that this does not have a sport suspension. But even if it did, it would be 17 years old with 90K miles and likely need a refresh anyways. So yes, a high quality suspension would likely be something we do in a year or so.

For now we would likely only do 1-2 track days a year, so hopefully it would be up for intermediate level track days a couple of times as is.

I read that it is 3,400 pounds. Not light, but lighter than my G80 (ugh).

Strange that I am just now finding out that RWD BMW's have open diff's. But their reputation as a great handling car is legendary, so the open diff must not be too much of a problem...?

Just test driving it I immediately loved the steering. I wasn't able to get too aggressive with it obviously, but if we buy it I can't wait to learn the car.

So these 2006 330i's are a good car, huh? I read they were only made for a year so they are kinda hard to find (at least in manual -- I found tons of E46 and E90 autos out there).
      10-28-2023, 06:20 PM   #6
8262S
Captain
Rep

One more thing.

Are there any known oil starvation issues with the N52 on the track?

If so, does a baffled oil pan resolve the issue?

My preliminary research indicates that it can an issue, but isn't as much of a problem as on other engines (would the turbo in the N54 and N55 be a factor?).

Again, we are novice to intermediate drivers. The only long constant turn is the right hand carousel at Road America.
      10-28-2023, 07:26 PM   #7
CLEAN13BOOSTED
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E93 3351

It gets harder to find the perfectly optioned clean vehicle as models change. Low miles and great condition are worth it if you're flexible on the LSD. My opinion as an automotive technician!
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2023, 07:53 PM   #8
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEAN13BOOSTED View Post
It gets harder to find the perfectly optioned clean vehicle as models change. Low miles and great condition are worth it if you're flexible on the LSD. My opinion as an automotive technician!
How concerned would you be about a slight oil seep out of the rear of the valve cover?

I am told the car does not burn oil, and the leak isn't enough to drip onto the garage floor.

Yes, I am thinking an open diff is just the way things are with non-M BMW's. I am sooooo glad I talked myself up from an M340....
      10-28-2023, 07:57 PM   #9
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

For getting around in the snow, the ABS fakie-diff does a pretty good job.

If you're already accustomed to rear drive cars in snow, the 2wd 330i will not be appreciably deficient. It won't rip the rear tires from a standing stop to dig down very well, but once moving the system is pretty brilliant.

It's god-awful on a race track. Also smokes the left side pads.
      10-28-2023, 08:06 PM   #10
CLEAN13BOOSTED
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't be concerned about seepage, especially since it's not enough to accumulate and create a drop on the floor. There are many seals on vehicles that can seep however considering age and miles, seepage is isn't generally anything that warrants repair unless it develops into a leak (drip).
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 08:39 PM   #11
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
For getting around in the snow, the ABS fakie-diff does a pretty good job.

If you're already accustomed to rear drive cars in snow, the 2wd 330i will not be appreciably deficient. It won't rip the rear tires from a standing stop to dig down very well, but once moving the system is pretty brilliant.

It's god-awful on a race track. Also smokes the left side pads.
How did the BMW 3 series develop such a reputation as a driver's car with an open diff?

Or is that reputation built on the road, where is doesn't matter as much?

(I am currently watching a YouTube vid on replacing the diff. This will likely be on the to-do list.)
      10-28-2023, 09:08 PM   #12
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Seriously just buy the car. You're an idiot if you don’t. Meant in a friendly manner from one enthusiast to another. Manual 330i. It's not even a decision, you just buy it. You'll not miss the open diff.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2023, 09:17 PM   #13
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Seriously just buy the car. You're an idiot if you don’t. Meant in a friendly manner from one enthusiast to another. Manual 330i. It's not even a decision, you just buy it. You'll not miss the open diff.
I take that comment as good advice.
      10-28-2023, 10:12 PM   #14
CLEAN13BOOSTED
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

No doubt, manual 330!, can't beat low miles and condition, loving my E93 I just found with a little over 22k miles!!! Just Do It!!!
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2023, 10:35 PM   #15
StradaRedlands
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.25]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [8.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.80]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.70]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Well, this is the E90 forum, so our opinions are biased, right!!!
Little seep is NBD, probably the valve cover (magnesium cover so just replace seal, not entire cover). Could be the CCV hose in the back of it. Probably replace that at the same time. Heck the whole system may need replacing, which requires intake pulled off.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-11617531423kt
Everything else is solid and good on the car, with a few known problem areas that are readily addressable. The MT in it is what your're buying, the rest is just packaging around it! No sport package, so the stock standard seats will kinda' suck... you're going to want to retrofit sport seats in. They're relatively inexpensive ($400ish) and fairly plentiful from what I've seen, at least in black. It sounds like seller knows the car and maintained it, so that's a BIG win for you!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 07:17 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8262S View Post
How did the BMW 3 series develop such a reputation as a driver's car with an open diff?

Or is that reputation built on the road, where is doesn't matter as much?

(I am currently watching a YouTube vid on replacing the diff. This will likely be on the to-do list.)
I've owned some model of a 3-series since 1987. My first, an E30 had an limited slip diff, the ones that followed a Z3, Z4, E46 Cabrio, and the E90 did not (do not - I still have 3 of them) have open diffs. I've really never had to drive the Z's or the E46 in snow, but the E30 and E90 have seen numerous trips in snow. I'll say the E30 and E90 weren't much different in snow performance. I mostly kept Pirelli P6's and any number of modern high performance All-Season tires on the E90. As Brian86 said the stability control system does a decent job mimicking a limited slip diff.

Two snow stories in the E90... in 2014 I got caught in a snow event in Northern Virginia. I knew there was snow coming, but I had a meeting in DC at a building with underground parking, where I was concerned my 4x4 pickup wouldn't fit. The E90 was below the wear bars on the tires, but still had some tread groves left. The snow came in early and quick. I went the flattest route back to my office and the snow accumulated to about an inch and a half over the two-hour s-l-o-w trip back. It was dicey, but I made it. I had to buy tires that day to get home the following day, 80-miles southwest of my office. It cost me a hotel room. Lol. Second story was just a few years ago. On a fresh set of Michie Pilots AS4's I got stuck in about 5 inches of snow. I live in the mountains west of DC. The arrival of the storm gave the state time to clear the roads, except with in 10 miles of my house. Dumbass me thought they had cleared the backroad over the mountain, but I got 600 feet up the road and realized nope, DOT had not cleared the road. If stopped I'd get stuck. Further back in the mountain the snow got deeper. I made it within 3 miles of my home, but the last steep hill got me, the stability control cut engine power going up a steep incline. Had to walk the last 3 miles home, get my neighbor and my 4x4. We cleared the snow from around the E90, I reversed back down and turned around and dove out back around the mountain on the flatter route home. Had not for the depth lifting the chassis off the road, I'd have made it. That was on All-Seasons.

I've pulled the diff, it's quite easy. You need a floor transmission jack for safety.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2023, 08:01 AM   #17
8262S
Captain
Rep

Thanks!

Living in WI I have used dedicated snow tires (Blizzak, Xi3, Alpin5 on M3) on all of our passenger cars. Outside of winter they get Pilot summer tires.

Our SUV get all season tires.

To be honest our sedans with snow tires are sometimes easier to get around in the snow than SUV’s with all seasons.

I am not a big fan of AS tires.
slupie105.50
      10-29-2023, 08:58 AM   #18
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
... On a fresh set of Michie Pilots AS4's I got stuck in about 5 inches of snow. I live in the mountains west of DC. ... I made it within 3 miles of my home, but the last steep hill got me, the stability control cut engine power going up a steep incline. Had to walk the last 3 miles home, get my neighbor and my 4x4. We cleared the snow from around the E90, I reversed back down and turned around and dove out back around the mountain on the flatter route home. Had not for the depth lifting the chassis off the road, I'd have made it. That was on All-Seasons...
Quote:
... Living in WI I have used dedicated snow tires (Blizzak, Xi3, Alpin5 on M3) on all of our passenger cars. Outside of winter they get Pilot summer tires. Our SUV get all season tires... I am not a big fan of AS tires.
CLEARANCE is the issue in any snow > 4" depth. "F30's" two stories are DIFFERENT. Story 1, he had WORN tires. Story 2, the snow had NOT been cleared, and the snow packed up under the LOW CLEARANCE car, preventing the tires from getting good contact with the pavement.

The E90 is good on the track, and with DSC/DTC is good on snow < 4" (if road recently plowed), IF the tires have good tread. Reason it is good on track: LOW ground clearance -- LOW Center of Gravity. Same reason it is NOT good in snow > 4" (LOW ground clearance ;-). 328xi (AWD) is great for traction, but has SAME limitation of LOW ground clearance. My 1983 Jeep Wagoneer went up steep unplowed 200' driveway in 11" snow accumulation. Same traction, GREATER ground clearance.

ONE car is NOT capable of doing everything. E90 will NOT be safe/ reliable in 5" of unplowed snow or more. That doesn't happen often in DC metropolitan area. WI winters differ.
George
Appreciate 2
      10-29-2023, 05:11 PM   #19
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!

Living in WI I have used dedicated snow tires (Blizzak, Xi3, Alpin5 on M3) on all of our passenger cars. Outside of winter they get Pilot summer tires.

Our SUV get all season tires.

To be honest our sedans with snow tires are sometimes easier to get around in the snow than SUV’s with all seasons.

I am not a big fan of AS tires.
I'm a fan of all-season tires where I live in the mid-Atlantic. My Z4 Coupe came with Pirelli high performance summer tires and my sport-package E90 came with Bridgestone REA high-performance summer tires. With planned use of both cars for my previous 80-mile one-way commute up to the Northern Virgina business district, in consideration of cost tied to both tread longevity and product pricing, I switched to high-performance All-Seasons once the Pirelli's and 'Stones wore out. The Z4 chassis does not lack for high levels of performance and grip offered by a well-tuned sport suspension, the E90 is quite capable as well. If there is a degree of tire performance degradation between the summer tires and all-seasons, it is barely noticeable with either car. For me all-seasons work quite well. With two ORV 4x4 trucks in the fleet, I have no need for a summer/winter swap on any of my cars.

Central Virginia has mostly mild winters. In my younger days I was "that guy" with the high-clearance 4x4 who was in the office even in the heaviest of snowstorms. Now I just take a PTO day

My point of the snow driving stories is the E90 really has no Achillies Heel with an open diff in the drivetrain. IMO, throw snow tires on it and it'd be a beast (precipitation depth notwithstanding); the numerous threads on the subject here on E90 Post confirm it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2023, 07:37 PM   #20
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Having owned both old school RWD BMWs with LSD and my e91 with the various electronics in Maine, I will take the electronics and an open diff in the snow every single time. The ONLY advantage to an LSD for driving is snow is it is slightly better for starting off from rest. From that point on it's a liability. Because if you give it just slightly too much gas, BOTH rear wheels spin and you pretty much instantly lose directional stability.

RWD, leave the nannies on, and proper tires, and you will be just fine. In fact, for the couple winters when I still drove it in snow, I preferred my e91 to the Saab 9-3 SportCombi it replaced, on the same performance winter tires. The Saab could get going a little better, but the understeer suuuucked once you got going, and with the much better weight distribution, the BMW stopped noticably better..

On a track, an LSD has major advantages and the Electonic nannies have major disadvantages, but public roads are not tracks.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2023, 10:40 AM   #21
Steage
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

Ten years ago I had a 335i and constantly cursed the lack of LSD.

I recently got a 330i and I haven't noticed it yet, it only makes 220lb-ft from the factory. Maybe I would feel differently if I was dealing with uphill hairpins on a regular basis?

On track is a different story and I don't have experience with these cars in the snow. The one winter I drove my E36 M3 in the snow with Blizzaks I still got stuck on icy hills despite the LSD...

There's also a lot more options these days than when I sold the 335 10 years ago. All it takes is $1-2k and you get a LSD pumpkin.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 11:14 AM   #22
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Quote:
100%. OP is overthinking this

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...30i-road-test/
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...erm-road-test/
Appreciate 1