E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > both front windows not getting power

11-05-2023, 07:07 PM   #1
ee90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E90 335i, E39 530i

both front windows not getting power

Has anyone had this issue before?

Both of my front windows do not go up and down at all.

I put a multimeter into the plug for the window motor and it’s reading zero.

The windows do not move even with the key fob, they do not move even with a reset. All I get when I reset the windows is the anti trap error. Checked all the relevant fuses, they were all fine. Disconnected the battery and reconnected it and nothing.

I’ve troubleshooted in inpa and Ista.

Things I’ve tried in inpa are:
- Auto window up and down. Rears working fine nothing from fronts

- read live data from the master switch, which inpa is saying that it is getting a signal from the buttons when pressed. But of course no movement

I’ve read the vehicle errors in ista and my frm module says it is fine it’s highlighted green.
(I have zero idea how to use ista so maybe I missed something?)

I’ve used vinKFP to try and re-write the frm module to default? Not sure if that does anything basically I just followed a guide on coding the frm it of course did nothing.

The one thing I haven’t tried yet is checking to see if the frm is short circuiting. I couldn’t read what job to choose in tool32 so I left it.

I’m leaning towards it being a wire that is broken or some wires that go to the frm being corroded. Before I check is there anything else I should try?

I’m fairly certain that the window regulators are fine because both doors have the issue. I will put 12v to the motor just to confirm.

Thanks and sorry for the long post but it’s pretty frustrating at this point lol
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 07:59 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Build Mo/Yr or Last-7 Characters of VIN are necessary when there is any electrical issue, as wiring/ fuses vary.
If you have 2007 model, Front Window fuses are F41 & F36. If 2008 or later, F41 & F81. Please provide VIN-7.
Also, if you have NOT tested BOTH the Driver Switchblock AND the Passenger door window switch, please report findings.

ISTA will:
1) Show "Inputs" to FRM Module when Window Switches are pressed; ISTA > FRM > Diagnosis Scan > Power Window Reg.Sw.Block;
2) Show Voltage from each of two Power Supply Fuses; ISTA > FRM > Diagnosis Scan > Supply Voltage (Power Window 30A/B);
3) Activate Front Windows if "Output" circuit from FRM OK: FRM > Triggering > Power Window Front > Open / Close;

If you have Driver door panel OFF, you can test Window Motor by applying 12V+ and ground to Blue/Gray & Black/Green wires,
reversing polarity to change Up/Down. See attached pdf's for HOW to use ISTA to Diagnose, and also HOW to use it as
a Shop Manual (see Wiring diagrams, etc).

I would suggest to BEGIN the Diagnosis by reading ALL fault codes in FRM & JBE Modules, and getting Fault Details for EACH.
Please let us know what you find. Example ISTA ScreenPrints are attached.
George
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Fault Memory & Test Plan.pdf (1.72 MB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf ISTA as Shop Manual.pdf (2.13 MB, 131 views)
Appreciate 3
      11-06-2023, 04:25 PM   #3
ee90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E90 335i, E39 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Build Mo/Yr or Last-7 Characters of VIN are necessary when there is any electrical issue, as wiring/ fuses vary.
If you have 2007 model, Front Window fuses are F41 & F36. If 2008 or later, F41 & F81. Please provide VIN-7.
Also, if you have NOT tested BOTH the Driver Switchblock AND the Passenger door window switch, please report findings.

ISTA will:
1) Show "Inputs" to FRM Module when Window Switches are pressed; ISTA > FRM > Diagnosis Scan > Power Window Reg.Sw.Block;
2) Show Voltage from each of two Power Supply Fuses; ISTA > FRM > Diagnosis Scan > Supply Voltage (Power Window 30A/B);
3) Activate Front Windows if "Output" circuit from FRM OK: FRM > Triggering > Power Window Front > Open / Close;

If you have Driver door panel OFF, you can test Window Motor by applying 12V+ and ground to Blue/Gray & Black/Green wires,
reversing polarity to change Up/Down. See attached pdf's for HOW to use ISTA to Diagnose, and also HOW to use it as
a Shop Manual (see Wiring diagrams, etc).

I would suggest to BEGIN the Diagnosis by reading ALL fault codes in FRM & JBE Modules, and getting Fault Details for EACH.
Please let us know what you find. Example ISTA ScreenPrints are attached.
George
Thank you for this I am going to try this tomorrow and get back to you.

The car is a 2009 model last 7 of the VIN is A515488
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 06:36 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee90 View Post
Thank you for this I am going to try this tomorrow and get back to you. The car is a 2009 model last 7 of the VIN is A515488
Attached are SSP wiring diagrams for "Windows Inputs" & "Windows Outputs" for your 2009 335xi. Please let us know what you find.
I am interpreting your initial post to mean that the Passenger Window does NOT work, either with Passenger Door Switch,
or Driver Door Master Switch. Please let us know if that is NOT the case.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BRG_N54375.50