E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > AC Compressor Walking heavily, but not broken

11-09-2023, 12:49 PM   #1
BlueWaterMetallic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i sedan, RS7 2023

AC Compressor Walking heavily, but not broken

Hi all, I noticed a couple of months ago that my AC compressor pulley was wobbling a little bit. I didn't think much of it until now, where it is seriously moving. However, there is no sound of squeaking or rubbing and the AC works beautifully. Should I replace for fear of it slipping out and the engine consuming the belt or wait till something truly breaks?

also a lot of the pulleys have already been replaced under my ownership

Alternator, tensioner+idlers too.

also if the belt shreds i have my oil pan gasket+crank seal under warranty so it should be covered if the belt breaks off again

Thanks, RS
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 03:53 PM   #2
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I would not wait for the belt to break, and I do not think crank seal failure caused by a broken belt will be covered under crank seal's warranty.

If the shear blocks inside the compressor pulley is failing, you can try to see if replacement shear blocks can be sourced off eBay. Given how little information is available on such parts, you may have to get a new compressor. These are direct-drive compressors AFAIK, so there is no bearing in the pulley.
Appreciate 0