E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > OBD Port

11-10-2023, 03:37 AM   #1
Fourief
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

OBD Port

Hi Guys

Just a quick one I have a BMW E90 320i 2008 Model and the CAS was faulty initially there was a CAS3 in and I replaced it with a CAS2 which got the car to crank but no start. My question is this from when I got the vehicle the OBD port never worked I heard from someone saying that when the CAS is faulty the OBD gets disconnected can anyone confirm that

Thanks in advance
Francois
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 04:26 AM   #2
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e81

OBD is connected to JBE
CAS could not be swapped without previous transferring of the data from old CAS.
The manucaturer do not provide tools or information to transfer data to dealers.
The only official way is to order new CAS from dealer, which come with all data from factory.
So unless you have any non-official tools you have to put back old CAS to start car.
      11-10-2023, 04:48 AM   #3
Fourief
Rep

Hi "PTPending"

The old CAS3 is lost. So I had to get a different CAS I just happen to have a CAS2 we programmed to the car after that like I said the car started to crank and all KOMBI details displayed just not start. I wanted to try and use the OBD port just to make sure there was nothing else wrong but OBD port just not connecting has power though but not connecting. So what your saying is that the CAS has nothing to do with the OBD port its the JBE ?

Regards
Francois
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 05:03 AM   #4
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourief View Post
Hi "PTPending"

The old CAS3 is lost. So I had to get a different CAS I just happen to have a CAS2 we programmed to the car after that like I said the car started to crank and all KOMBI details displayed just not start. I wanted to try and use the OBD port just to make sure there was nothing else wrong but OBD port just not connecting has power though but not connecting. So what your saying is that the CAS has nothing to do with the OBD port its the JBE ?

Regards
Francois
the definition of the "CAS2 programmed to the car" is a wide.
If you have special aftermaket tools to do that then you have to understand whole engine start autorisation process and key interactions
if you simply coded the module using ncs-expert, thats not enough to enable engine start
      11-10-2023, 05:29 AM   #5
Fourief
Rep

Hi

Ok so let me explain when the CAS3 was bad that came with the car - I had an older one which was a CAS2 (white box). I then took it to a company that does programming on these units for BMW they asked me to bring the ECU, JBE, KOMBI and CAS also key to them to get programmed for the car which I did and when it came back the car started to crank and KOMBI worked not doors or any of that. But from the start the OBD port didnt want to work i bought this vehicle as a non runner and was told just the ECU got wet which wasnt the case. Now my question is I was told that when the CAS is wrong for the vehicle or doesnt work the OBD port wont work just trying to figure out if that is a correct asumption

regards
Francois
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 07:08 AM   #6
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

you need to figure out how the obd work in your car and check if your jbe is powered or not or its connectors inserted firmly to it and that you have appropriate cable - DCAN or K-line, compatible with car at least