E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Driveline Slop 6mt

09-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #23
madmantwo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 335i

While I was under the car, I tried rotating the driveshaft back and forth with the car in gear and there is a tiny bit of play which I felt normal to me. I have also replaced subframe bushings and differential bushings, no change. To me, it feels like a flywheel or guibo issue
      08-10-2021, 07:07 PM   #24
rustybimmer
Registered
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Digging up a very old thread, but GODSPD do you remember what the solution ended up being? This description is the closest on the internet I’ve read to my own issue and would love the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 09:14 AM   #25
razvanf
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E93

Sorry for reviving this old thread, this is the exact issue I'm having and this seems to be the most relevant discussion I could find.

335i E93, 117k miles, this is what I did so far:
- new driveshaft flange ("Giubo") and driveshaft bearing
- new differential bushings, subframe bushings, RTABs and rear M3 arms
- fresh diff and gearbox oil
- M3 gearbox mounts

The engine or the shifter don't move under load. This leaves DMFW, U-joints (so, new driveshaft), diff internals or half shafts. In 5th/6th under full acceleration there is some (hardly noticeable) vibration coming from underneath / rear.

It's getting too expensive to chase this down by replacing everything, any thoughts are welcome.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 03:44 AM   #26
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by razvanf View Post
Sorry for reviving this old thread, this is the exact issue I'm having and this seems to be the most relevant discussion I could find.

335i E93, 117k miles, this is what I did so far:
- new driveshaft flange ("Giubo") and driveshaft bearing
- new differential bushings, subframe bushings, RTABs and rear M3 arms
- fresh diff and gearbox oil
- M3 gearbox mounts

The engine or the shifter don't move under load. This leaves DMFW, U-joints (so, new driveshaft), diff internals or half shafts. In 5th/6th under full acceleration there is some (hardly noticeable) vibration coming from underneath / rear.

It's getting too expensive to chase this down by replacing everything, any thoughts are welcome.
Jack the car up, leave it in neutral and grab hold of the driveshaft and rotate it by hand. You should be able to feel where the slop is. Then try again with it in gear and see if the slop changes to rule out the gearbox.
Appreciate 0