E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BMW E90 CVBS Project - Front & Rear Cam, Screen Mirroring...and DVR!

08-26-2023, 09:13 AM   #1
VickyK
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

Garage List
2011 BMW 325i  [0.00]
BMW E90 CVBS Project - Front & Rear Cam, Screen Mirroring...and DVR!

So I was running Autofocustech Reverse cam emulator for a couple of years. Worked solid but I decided to try a random video module purchased online.

There was a few reasons prompted me to wire this one up. Mainly BMW stopped producing newer Maps for CIC (yes im a fan of their navigation), which resulted me using google maps more and mounting my phone somewhere. So i thought it would be great to find a way to do screen mirroring. (Requirement 1)
Yes, im aware there's a ton of android HUs, but don't wish to replace my stock CIC screen. (requirement 2) as i feel its a waste of money in my opinion when all i want is navigation and you endup paying features you don't use in those fancy HU.
So i bumped into this RVC cam module which ticked all the boxes for me because it had additional AV input, for front and AV2(360 cam,etc) which i thought.. hmm if id convert a Chromecast to CVBS, feed that to AV2 that would be a solution for screen mirroring

Plus recently some P plate driver hit my front bumper, luckily its just the bumper and nothing beyond and it got fixed. However i was a bit annoyed as the insurance agent mentioned "Oh if you had dashcam its easier to fight your case" which in the end i got blamed.

So, I thought if the parking cams are powered permanently i can make use of the video feed into a DVR or blackbox. Not that i wish to deal with insurance again, but I got screwed once, so this is just a safe guard. (Requirement3)

So came up with this whole build which i have completed - The result: Reverse camera with dynamic guidelines, with front cam , with both looking OEM, AV switchable input for screen mirroring plus camera feeds going into a DVR!

Below are the parts before install which i have used:
1) RVC Camera module for CIC - can find in online commerce portals like Ebay, etc
2) Front and Rear Cams suited for E90
3) 2 Channel DVR recorder
4) 2 units of composite Video Distribution Amp (VDA)
5) Google Chromecast
6) HDMI to AV converter
7) A bunch of AV cables

Equipments prior install :

Name:  Equipments1.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  341.9 KB
For screen mirroring input, i used a Google Chromecast paired with a HDMI-AV converter. Video will be fed into the new module. Stereo audio will be fed into front AUX.

Name:  Equipment2.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  360.8 KB

Wire the Reverse cam all the way to the front. There is many guides on how to do this, wont go in detail. Front cam can be wired through the firewall under the Driver footwell, route it alongside ABS till the bumper.

The new module requires you to tap Canbus connection, which I have done from the back of CIC, along with power. Total 4 connection you need to make, Can H, can L, Power and Ground. Refer to pinout diagram below for CIC
Name:  CIC pinsss.png
Views: 815
Size:  65.5 KB

The Chromecast will be sitting under the armrest, the camera module will be slotted on the left of CIC compartment, and the DVR on the right side.

Purpose of using a powered VDA is to not have a signal degradation of video over a Y splitter.

Below is an overview of video signal diagram of this project

Name:  signal diag.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  42.6 KB

Installation in progress (Removed center console, CIC, panels)
Name:  Installation1.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  360.0 KB

Power for the Cams, VDA as well as the DVR is being tapped from the cigarette lighter circuit (I find this the safest as its standalone and shared fuse with no other module)

Here how it looks like under the armrest:
Name:  Cast Console.jpg
Size:  315.2 KB

Once everything is installed , below are the final results :

Reverse camera interface - has dynamic lines following steering wheel

Name:  Reverse Cam Feed .jpg
Views: 790
Size:  257.3 KB

Front Camera when switching from R/P to D - stays for abt 10secs, afterwards it goes to the default menu page.

Name:  Front Cam Feed.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  148.4 KB

AV2 [Chromecast Feed] - Selected by pressing Idrive menu button for 3secs.
Name:  Chromecast Standby Feed.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  113.7 KB

I used a wallpaper found in internet to make a cool OEM looking standby screen for the chromecast . I can mirror google maps here from my phone.

Also, I pre-wired a video cable from the DVR output and placed it near the chromecast. I can patch that video feed to CIC screen when the need arises.

Name:  DVR Output.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  241.2 KB

And below is how the camera looks on the body of the car, looks like came stock

# Update: got a better front camera which is more flush and nicer
Name:  new front cam.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  144.7 KB

Name:  Reverse Cam.jpg
Size:  203.2 KB

Note: To make the PDC radar vertical, you need to make changes to the CIC via coding. Otherwise if you use just the dipswitches, it will look like below:
Radar horizontal setting (not oem looking)
Name:  CIC screen DIP.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  204.6 KB
Radar vertical setting, (oem looking but radar is screwed up)
Name:  20230825_224549.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  106.7 KB
I prefer it looking more oem, hence coding of CIC is needed to properly align radar.

Change the CIC trace files with below parameter:
PDC_DIRECTION
vertikal

So after install i could say below are the pro's and cons:
Pros- Functions perfectly to suit my purpose, may be overkill for some. Not expensive , OEM looking camera interfaces. Able to cast screen and having a DVR blackbox.

Cons: 1.Inputs are analog signal, so don't expect superb pic quality. You can see horizontal scanning visible especially when viewed full screen.
2. Module doesnt support AHD camera, only CVBS.
3. Require knowledge of coding the CIC to make the radar in vertical position, making it not really a wired-only setup. PDC button will bring up 2 vertical radar images, compared to the default 1 prior coding.
4. Complex as utilizing many products to make this work

Bonus info:
You can actually emulate Android auto from your handphone itself. Yep, you read that right.

Open developer setting - search for Android Auto and start Server
Name:  Android Auto Setting.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  46.4 KB
Install and then Launch the App called HeadUnit Reloaded, you can still find some free APKs over the net.

Run in self mode and bam! you got yourself a working android auto from your phone which now can be mirrored to the CIC.
Name:  Head Unit Ser Output.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  65.1 KB

Overall I'm pretty happy with this build as it fullfilled all my requirements. I have made few electronics enhancements in my E90 in the past and i think this is the final one that that I wanted to work on my car.

Below is a clip of the retrofit in action

Cheers

Last edited by VickyK; 10-16-2023 at 10:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2023, 04:46 PM   #2
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Thumbs up

Very nice kit!
      10-01-2023, 10:43 PM   #3
VickyK
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808AWD325xi View Post
Very nice kit!
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 10:33 AM   #4
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

I appreciate that this is a little old now (August '23), but I've just stumbled upon this post.

To go with what you are saying, BMW still produce map updates, I'm currently running version 2024-1.
I love your inginuity, but did you not consider just adding an MMI box to your exiting setup? Something like the Mr12volt MMI, being the only one on the market that taps into the MOST fibre optic network and gives you a digital sound signal, as opposed to using the AUX port for an anologue signal?...

Although I am running the MMI, I use my camera emulator, similar to what you previousley had
Attached Images

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 09:22 PM   #5
VickyK
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
I appreciate that this is a little old now (August '23), but I've just stumbled upon this post.

To go with what you are saying, BMW still produce map updates, I'm currently running version 2024-1.
I love your inginuity, but did you not consider just adding an MMI box to your exiting setup? Something like the Mr12volt MMI, being the only one on the market that taps into the MOST fibre optic network and gives you a digital sound signal, as opposed to using the AUX port for an anologue signal?...

Although I am running the MMI, I use my camera emulator, similar to what you previousley had
Hi there.

To answer your questions -
1. BMW does not produce new maps for CIC for all regions. US and UK had it, but Australia stopped at 2020.
2. MMI 12v - I did come across that, but then I will be paying for functionality in that box which is a waste and that i would not use. like carplay, andriod auto, Bluetooth etc. Mic wont be as good plus i didnt want that box overriding the car's L7 audio decoding, equalizer, bass, etc.
. I got andriod auto streaming from my phone, with cost almost $150USD compared to MMi which is almost $500USD
I dont play audio from aux, my music files are WMA lossless played back from USB. Audio is pretty important to me, thats why i even retrofitted entire L7.

So the price point and needing only the important features made me do down this route.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 03:44 AM   #6
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyK View Post
Hi there.

To answer your questions -
1. BMW does not produce new maps for CIC for all regions. US and UK had it, but Australia stopped at 2020.
2. MMI 12v - I did come across that, but then I will be paying for functionality in that box which is a waste and that i would not use. like carplay, andriod auto, Bluetooth etc. Mic wont be as good plus i didnt want that box overriding the car's L7 audio decoding, equalizer, bass, etc.
. I got andriod auto streaming from my phone, with cost almost $150USD compared to MMi which is almost $500USD
I dont play audio from aux, my music files are WMA lossless played back from USB. Audio is pretty important to me, thats why i even retrofitted entire L7.

So the price point and needing only the important features made me do down this route.
Firstly I wasn't aware of Australia not getting map updates, so far play there, and I use Google maps anyway with BMW mapping as a back-up only!

As for the rest of the set up, I think you may have missed my point, and that is that although I think it's great what you've achived here, you could have simply installed an MMI box instead. Now I appreciate that the Mr12volt MMI is quote expensive, but it is the best on the market, but I used it just as an example because it doesn't use the AUX as it's input point like the other MMI's do. But you can pick up a standard MMI box for as little as £160 and that has everything already in one box and would be hidden away.
As for the microphone, the Mr12volt box now comes with a specific loom that connects directly into the OE microphone, so no additional microphones are required. Also when I had my original MMI box it also used the OE microphone. Also there is no problem in your existing L7 system, the Mr12volt just taps into the MOST fibre optic network and acts as a CD Changer, and a standard MMI just plugs into the AUX, so no affect on the L7.
So you're currently using the AUX for the sound that is cast from your phone, so it would be no different in sound quality using a standard MMI box, and some MMI's now can also use a Bluetooth connection to the headunit (if you had Bluetooth Music Streaming in the first place).
And another advantage with the MMI is that you have skip track function with the steering wheel buttons and control of the phone via the iDrive controller. You still have the rear, front or 360 camera inputs for parking, as well as mirrorcast and USB input (music and video). And a really usful addition is the ability to use "Hey Google" by pressing the speach button on the steering wheel.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking what you've done, I'm impressed with what you've put together hear to achive what you wanted, I just feel that you could have got all of this with the one MMI box.

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 01:54 AM   #7
VickyK
Private
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I understand what the Mr12V can do. But i got what I need working with a fraction of the price.
Appreciate 0