E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2006 BMW 330i with N52 long crank

02-12-2024, 04:11 PM   #1
TuaLaoch
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

2006 BMW 330i with N52 long crank

So I have read a bunch of posts about the problem I am about to ask for help with, but they all seem a little different than the issue I am having.
I am experiencing a long start with my 330i. It always does it after the car has been sitting for a while. The car rests in a temperature controlled garage, so it doesn't get very cold or very hot.
The starter turns the engine over just fine and it will usually fire right up after even a short run time. No grinding noises or anything. However, if the car is parked on a hill, it will long crank and I occasionally smell gas. Is it a fuel pump issue? I have turned the ignition on without cranking for 30 seconds or so and it doesn't make a difference. Is it an injector problem or vanos maybe? The starter seems strong and I have no codes.
It never fails to start, just takes a while sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 06:02 AM   #2
TuaLaoch
Rep

Thanks for the input. I'll look into it. I would think I would get codes if the crankshaft or camshaft sensors were having a problem, no?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 09:29 AM   #3
sabino56
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

I have same 2006 330i and had similar but not as bad, no smell in cabin. It was the fuel pressure regulator. You can check by putting fuel pressure gage on rail and watching how fast pressure drops - google checking Fpr or similar and I found something.
That said, I think quickest easiest quick check is to pull up the rear seat and there are plates covering fuel pump on passenger side and FPR on driver side. 3 fasteners and you can look at top. They are plastic and tend to crack, leak. I posted pics of mine somewhere here when I checked mine. If they look bad, I’d replace them. If problem remains then you can do the fuel pressure check.

I’ve also heard of bad ground strap causing a slow crank but your description sounds like it’s cranking fast just not starting.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 11:33 AM   #4
TuaLaoch
Rep

That's correct. The starter is cranking just fine. Just to be sure I put on a temporary ground using a heavy jumper cable to the ground lug and the engine, no change in the way it cranked or started.

Yeah, it definitely seems like a fuel pressure issue to me since I have no codes that would indicate crank or cam sensor problems. Well, I have no codes at all and no SES light.

Thanks for the info. I will check those and I was leaning toward the fuel pump or the pressure regulator, too.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 03:29 AM   #5
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

I had this same issue with long crank times when my eccentric shaft sensor failed on my 2006 330i.

Once the car was warm it started no problem repeatedly but after sitting overnight it would crank really long on the first start. Eventually within a few days it wouldn't start at all.

I had no codes for the ESS either, that was the worst part. Eventually I saw some codes related to thermal overload of the valveteonic motor.

As others said above, the easiest thing would be to first check the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump housing for cracks/leaks. Really easy on the E90 sedans to remove the seat bottoms. But if that doesn't lead you anywhere and if you ever see codes related to valvetronic thermal limits or anything else valvetronic related, it might be your ESS.

Another quick and easy check is to remove the ESS connector and inspect. If there's any oil on the pins in the harness it's most certainly the cause of your problem. There isn't supposed to be oil in the wiring harness

As soon as I swapped out the ESS all the starting problems were resolved.
Appreciate 1