E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 DIY headlight strange problem

05-14-2024, 04:46 AM   #1
OrestasX
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Hello everyone!

I made headlights, but encountered a very strange problem. When turning on the car ignition, the lights work perfectly as I planned. However, when starting the car and turning on the high beams, the left headlight works properly, but the right headlight sounds like high beam is glitching, opening and closing very quickly(check photo because I don’t know how call this part in English language). It feels like there's a lack of voltage to the right headlight on high beams. Also, I noticed that when the car is started, the right headlight shines weaker(low and high beam) than the left. Do you have any idea what might be causing this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 11:05 AM   #2
Peter Morrin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90(sedan) 328xi

Firstly, the fact that you made your own headlights, including projector high beams is very cool. Congratulations. We would love to know how you did this, and what parts you used.

To try to solve your problem the first place I would check is with a voltmeter comparing the lights that are working as designed with the one that is not. The first check would be for voltage, it should be the same. The second possibliity is a PWM (pulse width modulated) signal to the light. This is beyond my level of expertise, but you might find an expert here if you search with "PWM".

Good luck and share your build. Many of the headlight geeks would be interested.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2024, 05:04 AM   #3
OrestasX
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Peter Morrin

On the right side of the unstarted car(ignition on), the voltage at the light is 11.50V, when started it is 10.50V. On the left side, it is 11.9V, and when started it is 12.20V. I suspect that the light control module (FRM) needs to be replaced or the voltage needs to be increased programmatically. So, when the car is started, there is a lack of voltage on the left side and it does not work properly.

List of what is needed to make such headlights.

1) halogen headlights
2) led strip width 3mm
3) BI-Xenon projector (with devil eye led)
4) Angel Eye Halo Rings
5) Adjustable step down voltage regulator for led strip
6) Organic glass lenses that I used to cover the high beam reflector.
7) Glass tint film for lenses to cover high beam reflector
8) Paint cans, sand paper.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more photos of how I made it. If anyone is interested, I can upload some photos here of how it looks up close.

In the second photo, it is night and the lights shines very brightly compared to the original xenon.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1