E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How much is a 335d m sport with 33k miles worth?

05-12-2024, 02:24 PM   #1
Korndog
Rep
Drives: '03 Tacoma

How much is a 335d m sport with 33k miles worth?

I'm looking to buy a 2011 335d with black-sapphire metallic paint, m sport suspension and interior, red Dakota interior leather, 33k miles, and (probably) a Salvage title.

It has a harmon/kardon (rip) sound system, cold climate package, so that heated steering wheel and head light washing thing, automatic air conditioning, cruise control with braking, rear PDC... the whole 9 yards.

Car fax says this car was meticulously maintained, 1 owner(CA). However it was in a wreck, nothing major, just front bumper, plastics, and probably the oil cooler need replacing, and I'm guessing why it's for sale.

I am planning to keep this car for as long as possible 10-15, even 15+ years if I get lucky. Planning to do all the necessary deletes and mods and maintenance. But at the end of the day money runs the world, and I need this to make financial sense.

So, all that to say: How much is it worth?

-Korndog
Appreciate 1
POBEP394.00
      05-12-2024, 08:03 PM   #2
TekkaMaki
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xdrive

For reference last month I purchased:
2011 328i xdrive 36k miles $13k
Near mint, clean title.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2024, 08:17 PM   #3
autoart
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i e90 M/ 22 X3

On Autotrader their from $10-20k with higher miles without looking at each ones title.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 12:07 AM   #4
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
it is a tricky one.

on one hand mileage is super low with great specs on another - possible salvage title.

if all 33K are city mileage, there will be added cost of CBU, harmonic balancer, etc

I would say $10K, maybe $12K at most.
without salvage title 15K would be fair price, $18K tops.

I bought mine 335d with 130K miles for under $10K and all major maintenance in place 3 years ago.
Previous owner(s) spent $$$ in repairs an upgrades which I ultimately benefited from at the end of the day.
The only pricy repair was rear wheel bearing.
SCR pump failed too, but fellow forum member shipped me a used one for a price of 6-pack of beer, easy DIY

If you end up buying it and SCR cat, SCR tank and DPF will be taking space in your garage - I will be more than happy take it all of your hands for my future E91 335d project
      05-13-2024, 01:50 PM   #5
Korndog
Rep

POBEP,

Yeah, 15-18k for a clean title sounds about right, same for the salvage title. But on that, I have a really hard time believing its a salvage. This car is far from being a salvage(imo). If I were to guess, 5k in repairs from a shop. Parts are maybe 2-3k, even including labor I don't see this car qualifying for salvage title.

Regardless, in CA if you buy a car from auction is it always going to end up with a salvage title, or a rebuilt title? Or is it possible to get a clean title? Sorry, I'm not to sure how titles laws work in CA. I tried to look it up, but now I'm even more confused. For reference I live in WA.

Here's the damage:
View post on imgur.com

I mean its bad, sure. But its just the bumper, oil cooler, headlight, maybe fender liner, and that big plastic doohickey(core support?) at the front. Radiator, hood, and fender look... fine.

I was planning to pull that DPF so sure, Id be happy to sell it to you. Although about the SCR system, I was just planning to gut it and leave the tank. In order to ship it to you, I would have to sell it to you in one big piece as shown here:

https://www.bmwdirectparts.com/v-201...ust-components
(part 8)

So, I guess I would have to get a whole aftermarket exhaust system, at least everything before the mufflers?
Regardless, first I have to get the car.

But thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 03:49 PM   #6
BRG_N54
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Airbags?

You mean it hit that hard and no airbag deploy, or battery cable explosive fired? External damage is only part of the "I feel proud driving this car around" equation. Safety features are there for a reason and would all need to be replaced to make this a safe, road worthy lasting example.

How about the frame rail? Can't really see from these shots, but a hit that hard could have moved the passenger rail enough to make fitting the new body panels back on straight a major headache.

And yes, I think you would be facing a salvage title regardless, if the vehicle was in an accident and written off by the insurance company.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2024, 09:03 PM   #7
Korndog
Rep

Yup, no airbags deployed, all intact.

Not sure about the battery cable, I think its good because they car does have power, all the gauges light up, although it doesn't start... Hoping the oil cooler that's exposed just leaked oil out so the auction wont start it in order to not seize the engine. Or the ECU just wont let it start because of the damage. But it does have a check engine light, probably something to do with the fact it was in a collision.

Also don't know about the frame rail, its probably all good because all the panel gaps look fine. Although the hood looks a bit tweaked on the side that was in collision in comparison to the other side. It looks like the crash somehow involved pulling the bumper and all that foreword somehow, as show by the fact that the bumper carrier is visible and the the hood latch was pulled foreword.

So this leads me to think the plate that the plate the bumper carrier attaches to may be damaged, or maybe the bolts, but the frame its self is fine. Then again the hood is bent but that might be hinge?... I hope, might just be wishful thinking.

Ah well, salvage tittle or not its a great car with low miles. Weather or not it end up being a good financial decision is to be determined.
But nonetheless, thank you.

Edit 2: alright fine, since this forum refuses to use Imgur link properly, here a .txt lines of the photos I was trying to reference. (couldn't think of a better solution)
Attached Files
File Type: txt 335d photo links.txt (207 Bytes, 8 views)

Last edited by Korndog; 05-14-2024 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: Tried getting artsy fartsy with links, didnt work out
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 09:10 PM   #8
jdub486
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C dct/ e90 335d dd

My 335d m sport with excellent maintenance history will be up at IAA auction any day now. It was fully repaired after an accident with no air bags, but after delivery I discovered the frame rail was bent which was not disclosed by the body shop. Insurance ended up totaling it.

It's titanium silver over black. Full m3 control arms front and rear, stage 1 tune.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2024, 08:39 PM   #9
Korndog
Rep

Is this your number, lol?

https://www.iaai.com/VehicleDetail/39885590~US

Wow that's things a beauty, too bad its on the other side of the country for me. I love those rims though.
Appreciate 1