E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > No start after vcg (p0015-p0016-p13b4)

05-20-2024, 03:10 AM   #1
Beck2902
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 325i 06

No start after vcg (p0015-p0016-p13b4)

I recently did a vcg replacement on my n52n with plastic vc, and therefore the harness including the many cam sensors, vanos solanoird was plugged out.
I also changed the sparkplug (if it relevant)
After the replacement it was running on 5cyl, and Quick realized it was one of the coils not completely plugged in. After it startet up like normal, although I think it was ticking abit more than usual, anyway I drove at short amount to see if it was still leaking. Under the drive, when the clutch was pressed the rpm while idle was jumping from 400-800rpm and not long after it stalled when idling, the engine had no problem with a little gas, but lacking power. Quickly drove it home at shut it off, when trying to start it, it was cranking not started but with a tap on the gas it did but running rough. I shut it of and checked all the plugs and rinsed them but still no, I’m worried it’s the timing that’s off but while checking the chain it was not loose, all sensors was working before the vcg replacement, my other teori is the valvetronic motor. What the fix? Thank in advance. Codes p0015, p0016 and p13b4
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 10:32 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck2902 View Post
I recently did a vcg replacement... [AFTER VCG replacement] when the clutch was pressed the rpm while idle was jumping from 400-800rpm and not long after it stalled when idling, the engine had no problem with a little gas, but lacking power. Quickly drove it home at shut it off, when trying to start it, it was cranking not started but with a tap on the gas it did but running rough... Codes p0015, p0016 and p13b4
Welcome to the Forum! Here are "BMW Fault Code Lookup" definitions of those 3 codes; MSV80 used where NO MSV70 definition is provided. Click on LINK to see Fault Info sheet, with "Service Notes" at bottom of each:

P0015 | 2A87 | DME: Exhaust VANOS, mechanism | MSV70
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...EAMgA0ADAANAA=

P0016 | 2A98 | DME: Crankshaft - inlet camshaft, reference | MSV70
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...QANAAyADAANAA=

P13B4 | 2A98 | DME: Crankshaft - inlet camshaft, reference | MSV80
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...EAMQA0ADAANAA=

If you had NO Valve Gear Faults BEFORE you replaced VCG (ALWAYS check for Fault Codes BEFORE disassembling anything ;-), the FIRST thing to check is that Connectors are NOT Swapped for either VANOS Solenoids or Cam Position Sensors. Swapping VANOS Solenoid connectors is common occurrence.

See ISTA ScreenPrint showing Intake VANOS Solenoid (Y6275) located ABOVE Exhaust Solenoid. The wire at Socket #2 on Connector that SHOULD be attached to Intake (TOP) Solenoid is White/Blue.

Attached to NEXT Post are ISTA ScreenPrints for wiring colors, positions/ Connector Views. If connectors have NOT been swapped, I would use Scan Tool that can display Live Data, or Diagnostic Software such as INPA/ ISTA to see actual Cam Position/ Angle for Intake & Exhaust at warm idle, AND VANOS Solenoid function.

If further info is needed, please:
1) Provide Last-7 Characters of VIN so we can provide CORRECT ISTA data.
2) Indicate Make/Model of Scan Tool or diagnostic Software (INPA/ ISTA) available.
3) If you have a multimeter, we can suggest tests if desired.
George
Appreciate 1
BRG_N54372.50
      05-20-2024, 10:34 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

ISTA ScreenPrints related to Prior Post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BRG_N54372.50