E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > CCC to CIC upgrade instructions 2024

05-21-2024, 06:20 AM   #1
dazz100
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E90 2008

CCC to CIC upgrade instructions 2024

Hi
In 2020 I posted a question about CCC upgrade options here:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1772394

I purchased salvaged parts for a CIC upgrade but then I had a serious accident 2021 that still affects me.

I am now looking to complete the CIC upgrade. I know there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of posts on upgrades. I am seeking pointers to the best instructions for completing the upgrade in 2024, including coding. Sending anything anywhere for coding is too expensive from my country. I have done some basic coding and I program computers, so I just need a good set of instructions.

I want to fit a reversing camera. The CIC stuff came with a multi-media box https://f00.psgsm.net/p/814061/BMW_pip_BM09.pdf It looks like I can plug in a generic backing camera like this one: Search Aliexpress for "GreenYi Vehicle Rear View Camera BMW 3 Series "

I'd like to replace the hard drive, primarily to keep a backup but also because I have a spare 250G HD in the bottom of a drawer.

I don't have the VIN of the donor vehicle. I think I remember reading that someone had figured out how to get things working without a CAN dongle.

Can someone please provide links to the best instructions? Thanks in advance.

Dazz
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 11:21 AM   #2
BRG_N54
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Green '07 & Arctic '08 335i's

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Software tools are the hardest part

I just recently did this on two cars, only one had the 6FL option, which made it a bit more straightforward.

This is the guide I followed, and while the method still works 100%, finding some of the tools needed was, for me, the more difficult part of the task.

I did not need the donor VIN's for any of the pieces (CIC, Combox) but I did need both CIC's to be C1A firmware, in order for the FSC patch method to work as advertised. Not sure if you know what version the CIC is, I just made sure to get mine post 2010, one was 2012 the other was 2011.

Once I had the hardware together, finding the correct version of FSTool2 and finding Jaeger's code generator took weeks. Then I had trouble getting the 1b file off the unit, it took several tries with different USB sticks before I got the file and was able to generate my activation code for NAV.

Overall, very pleased with the end result. I am primarily a Spotify listener, but I have a few CD's that are not available there. I was recently marveling how I can just pop the disc in and copy it to the internal HDD, it does everything I need car audio to do and was relatively inexpensive, about $300 each car. I also replaced the CIC controller, not necessary if you don't want to bother with sourcing new trims for the center console, but I like the additional function buttons for less distraction while behind the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 12:57 AM   #3
dazz100
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRG_N54 View Post
I just recently did this on two cars, only one had the 6FL option, which made it a bit more straightforward.

This is the guide I followed, and while the method still works 100%, finding some of the tools needed was, for me, the more difficult part of the task.

I did not need the donor VIN's for any of the pieces (CIC, Combox) but I did need both CIC's to be C1A firmware, in order for the FSC patch method to work as advertised. Not sure if you know what version the CIC is, I just made sure to get mine post 2010, one was 2012 the other was 2011.

Once I had the hardware together, finding the correct version of FSTool2 and finding Jaeger's code generator took weeks. Then I had trouble getting the 1b file off the unit, it took several tries with different USB sticks before I got the file and was able to generate my activation code for NAV.

Overall, very pleased with the end result. I am primarily a Spotify listener, but I have a few CD's that are not available there. I was recently marveling how I can just pop the disc in and copy it to the internal HDD, it does everything I need car audio to do and was relatively inexpensive, about $300 each car. I also replaced the CIC controller, not necessary if you don't want to bother with sourcing new trims for the center console, but I like the additional function buttons for less distraction while behind the wheel.

Thanks for the info.

I think I have a problem already because the date code on my gear is 08/40 so well before 2010. If doing a CIC conversion isn't practical with this firmware/version, should I look at selling what I have and buying a later version, or even an Android version?

The gear I have is in the photo. The grey box in the middle is a multimedia box that looks like I can plug in a backing camera. The cut wires don't appear to be related to CIC.

I think I have all the cables I need for the BMW parts. I think I will need extra cables to connect the multi-media box to the head. Those I can get from Aliexpress.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 05:29 PM   #4
BRG_N54
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
That sure looks like everything needed for the swap. The only part that needs to be newish is the large grey box to the right in your picture, the one with the volume knob and cd slot. The rest can be any vintage, one member here did just that, sourced a newer CIC radio and was all set. I think I got mine for around $100US from eBay.

However, there is another piece of the puzzle not pictured, and that is what's in the trunk. If you have a TCU/MULF they are still not going to get you USB audio streaming. For that you need to replace those items with a newer COMBOX. This is all outlined in the post I referenced above.

AFAIK, if you replace with android, only the screen gets changed out and you keep the rest of the BMW parts that came with your car. The new unit then plugs into the AUX connector and that's it. Most of them also have provision for a backup camera without needing that multimedia box you have.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 11:23 PM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

mulf 2 hi will do usb music but not bluetooth streaming .
Option 6lf
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 03:03 AM   #6
dazz100
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep

Hi
Fitting an Android is not something I really want to do. In saying that, I fitted an Android unit in my VW Polo and that has been a success. I'd much prefer to use OEM parts where possible.

My car is fitted with a 6x CD changer, which I have never used. I don't know if I have a TCU/MULF. I will need to look. USB music is something I probably wouldn't do. The reversing camera and GPS maps I would definitely use.

Knowing I can use a 2008 screen is really good info. It will be much easier to source just a radio. Wreckers here charge much more that $100 for this stuff.

e-bay is very high risk for me, because there is not chance of a refund if something is faulty. e-bay has no foothold in my country. They got rejected by the population in favour of the local auction website. Perhaps the only country where e-bay failed as a business. I have purchased from e-bay USA, but it is the option of last resort for me.

So my next action is to find a radio. I will most likely go silent on this forum until I get one. I will study the procedure and load up the software. I can practice on my CCC system.

Thanks for you help.

Dazz
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 04:23 AM   #7
dazz100
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep

Hi
I just looked in my car, and it is not fitted with either the TCU/MULF. The front of the boot is empty. There is wiring in place, but not connected to anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 06:11 AM   #8
dazz100
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep

Hi
Just reading the linked instructions which include:

"CIC patcher V2 ... Cons: Only works CICs from USA or ECE regions running C1A firmware. "

Chances are any CIC head unit I source will be from Japan or South Africa.
How can I know what firmware a head unit is running without buying it first?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 06:43 AM   #9
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

depends what you are doing with your car, but android unit are very useful fur tuned N54/N55 (tuning app and monitoring) and aggressive driving... ''Waze !''' and keep the car OEM-Look. Also sharing the cellphone hotspot with the android unit you'll have traffic, streaming, youtube, etc. 'Assuming if you like OEM look, you don't use a cellphone holder...'

I did it in my audi, and xtrons made a android unit that looks like OEM and keep OEM functions, very cool.

I'm in the process to swap CCC to CIC, but I'm swaping EVERYTHING (even speakers), and I even think I'll swap the FRM. So technically, I shouldn't have any issue, but will take 4-5 days to complete and need a complete donor car .

Then Ill shop for an android unit. Probably late July.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2024, 05:59 PM   #10
dazz100
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep

Hi
My objectives are modest.
I want GPS maps and my wife wants a backing camera.
My previous coding experience has been with Japanese gear, but that has made no difference.

My hypothesis is that "Only works CICs from USA or ECE " is because they haven't tested on Japanese gear.

I traced the source of the FSC CIC patcher to here: https://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=23198

but the site won't accept new registrations. I can't id/contact intel123 the author of the script.
Appreciate 1
oVeRdOsE.3325.00
      06-03-2024, 06:54 PM   #11
dazz100
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep

BMW CIC Head date

Hi
The previous posts indicate I should get 2011 or later head/radio.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2010 CIC head/radio with a date stamp: 27 10.
so probably not the right version.
Is there a way of knowing what firmware version is loaded by inspection?

The supply of used head/radios is very limited here so I expect it to take a few months to find one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 10:38 AM   #12
BRG_N54
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz100 View Post
I have the opportunity to buy a 2010 CIC head/radio with a date stamp: 27 10.
so probably not the right version.
Is there a way of knowing what firmware version is loaded by inspection?
Unfortunately, the only way to find out the firmware is by querying it, so it has to be powered up and connected somehow. I was able to find one 2012 and a 2011 off of eBay, they both worked. You might be limited for the regions you are specifying, but you can widen your search to other vehicles, I think the X5 has compatible CIC's also.

Not sure of the expected results, provided your statement that the patcher will only work with US & Europe units. I have also heard that CIC's from Japan will have different radio standards as well, and might just confuse the whole conversion even further.

Here are a few downloads you will need; The SWPatcher you were looking for and the proper version of FSTool2.

Since you have no TCU/MULF you will also need a COMBOX to get Bluetooth music streaming and phone connectivity to work. Again, try to find the newest one possible, but make certain it is the BN2000 model, not the BN2010. It should have a black multipin connector on one end, not the white one. You will either need to re-pin your existing connector, or obtain an adapter cable for the COMBOX connection.

Last edited by BRG_N54; 06-04-2024 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: Removed camera stuff
Appreciate 1
JonEQuest250.00
      06-04-2024, 05:26 PM   #13
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
The best way to do this in 2024 is to retrofit the cic and hook up a CarPlay system. No combox needed. No iDrive nav activation/cic patcher needed. The CarPlay handles calls, music streaming, nav, backup camera and so on. Much simpler install and frankly the iDrive nav is useless except when out of cell coverage.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2024, 06:02 PM   #14
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

I am Android all the way and would like to be able to use one of the Android screen units. That way I can have true apps, connection to my JB$ or MHD, etc. and backup camera. My ONLY reason for not buying one yet is there seems to be two choices. (1) The Mr12Volt which is a way to mirror your phone and uses the MOST bus for great audio, but not it's own true system. (2) One of the many Chinese Android units that connect through the horrible aux port and ruin the sound. I have the Logic7 system now and I swapped from CCC to CIC and added a combox. So my system works fine and sounds awesome, but is stuck in the last decade. There has to be some way to get an Android screen and connect it into the MOST loop for true direct sound. I wonder if anyone has connected and Android unit to one of the MOST audio input adapters and if so, how did it sound?? If someone made an Android unit that connected directly to the MOST loop like Mr12Volt does, they would sell like hotcakes.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2024, 07:05 PM   #15
dazz100
Enlisted Member
New Zealand
Rep

CIC Head date : is it new enough?

Hi
A CIC head unit is for sale locally.
Attached is a photo of the label, including the date code.
Is this unit young enough to complete a CCC to CIC upgrade?
Will it have the right firmware?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0