E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension for Non Sport Package 328i

09-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
ni8shadow
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i 6MT

Suspension for Non Sport Package 328i

What would be a good suspension set up for an e90 328i non sport package? The BMW Performance suspension would cost me $2400 installed with all those additional parts so I am considering going after market.

Looking for handling comparable to the sports package ver.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
snipersix
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Retired 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
i would say Koni yellows with H&R sport springs
2017 M2 Coupe:|Black Sapphire Metallic|DCT|Nav/Idrive|M Performance CF Spoiler|M Performance CF DCT Interior| M Performance Gloss Black Kidney Grills| M Performance Steel Pedals | Eventuri CF CAI | 19" Brixton Rims | KW V3 Clubsport |
Retired: |2008 328i Sedan|Montego Blue|
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
ni8shadow
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok ill take a look at those and see. Where would I have them installed? Dealer? "Uncle Bob's Suspension Shop?" Dealer informed me that when changing suspension and ride height you also have to change some "software." What is that and how/where do you go for that?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
Samuel L Jackson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

Eibach and Bilstein. That's what Alpina uses.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

If you're looking for a moderate drop while maintaining a smooth ride, I would recommend the Koni FSD & Eibach Pro-kit system. Let us know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
ni8shadow
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Modest drop and "sport package" handling is what I am looking for. I am looking into the combos stated so far(thanks bty). Are these the ONLY part I would need to get that modest drop and "sport package" handling? I have a bare bones base model, only one I could find with manual trans.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #7
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni8shadow View Post
Modest drop and "sport package" handling is what I am looking for. I am looking into the combos stated so far(thanks bty). Are these the ONLY part I would need to get that modest drop and "sport package" handling? I have a bare bones base model, only one I could find with manual trans.
Transmissions have nothing to do with the suspension. The Koni FSD & Eibach springs will give you a little lower drop than the sport package since the drop is based off of a sport package equipped vehicle. It will be a little firmer than the stock sport suspension and will give you better handling. It will fit just fine with your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
ni8shadow
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Handling better,similar, or i little "worse" than the sports package with the FSD/eibach combo? And do most places adjust the lighting angle and "computer inputs" for the new suspension?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Since the car will sit lower, it will have a lower central gravity thus better handling. As for your other questions, I'm not sure what you're asking about. The suspension is not really tied into the car's computer so there's no need to adjust anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #10
ni8shadow
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Evan@ Tischer said it's not so much new software, but coding differences to tell the car a change was made and how to handle it. I don't know how to adjust the "codes" or adjust the headlight angle to compensate for the lower ride height.

Lower center of gravity is good, but what about "stiffness?" I keep hearing about it. Stiffeness is usually is followed by "great ride" or "very responsive." Will the FSD/Eibach give me this "stiffness?"

I talked to some people and they mention the sport package came with sway bars. Is that true?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #11
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Evan@ Tischer said it's not so much new software, but coding differences to tell the car a change was made and how to handle it. I don't know how to adjust the "codes" or adjust the headlight angle to compensate for the lower ride height.

Lower center of gravity is good, but what about "stiffness?" I keep hearing about it. Stiffeness is usually is followed by "great ride" or "very responsive." Will the FSD/Eibach give me this "stiffness?"

I talked to some people and they mention the sport package came with sway bars. Is that true?
Yup- but the OEM sways are not that thick thus there is some body roll there. If you're looking to reduce the body roll, we carry the H&R sways for your vehicle here.

As far as the coding- I think he meant just how the car handles overall (DSC, DTC, etc. working in conjunction with one another). I've not heard of the suspension being controlled by the ECU.

This combo will be a little stiffer than the stock sport suspension (as they all are). However, the nice thing about the Koni FSD is that under normal driving they will "soften" up to give you a smooth, comfortable ride and tighten up when you are cornering. The ride is still going to be a little bit stiffer than stock but not harsh at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #12
ni8shadow
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

FSD's are self adjusting? So on my communte they act like stock suspension, and if I go on canyon runs they turn into "sport" suspension?

Are these better in the handling dept. than the koni sports? I understand the koni sport/yellow are adjustable with the "turn of a dial."

Last edited by ni8shadow; 09-18-2008 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
FSD's are self adjusting? So on my communte they act like stock suspension, and if I go on canyon runs they turn into "sport" suspension?

Are these better in the handling dept. than the koni sports? I understand the koni sport/yellow are adjustable with the "turn of a dial."
Yup you got it. Basically it's softer when you're just driving around town but when your drive becomes more aggressive the shocks will stiffen up even more. Performance-wise, H&R sport & Koni Yellow/Sports will give you an even firmer ride than the Koni FSD & Eibach kit. Since the H&R springs have a lower drop, you should get a better performance although the difference probably won't be noticed by the average driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #14
Ron@Modbargains
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996TT/ae86

Quote:
What would be a good suspension set up for an e90 328i non sport package? The BMW Performance suspension would cost me $2400 installed with all those additional parts so I am considering going after market.

Looking for handling comparable to the sports package ver.
You are in socal - and looking for a comparable sports package - go ST's (you can your not living in snow area so take advantage of it)

or if you want to go H&R Sport springs and Koni yellow shocks .

You can always spend more and go with the KW variant 2's or 3's but it doesn't sound like you are looking for more just a good sports suspension that would be the ST's.

Let me know if you have any questions, will be happy to help.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 07:49 PM   #15
ni8shadow
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm a newb when it comes to suspension so how would you adjust the Koni's? There's a knob or something...but you have to put your car on a lift to adjust it right?

What are the pros/cons of coilovers vs. shock and spring combos? The recomm. ones looks real nice, but I also have no knowledge of coilovers. They too are "customizable."
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #16
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

The best value is to buy a sports package from someone that has replaced theirs. I would imagine you could get a complete set -- shocks, springs, sway bars -- for under $500 for the parts. Install at a BMW dealer could run close to $1000. You might find a good shop that would do it for $600 or 700. So the minimum would be about $1200. A complete BMW Performance suspension installed for $2400 is actually an excellent choice IMO. You keep BMW warranty on everything, increase the resale value of your car, and can be assured that you have a well-engineered package. If you are experienced at tuning suspensions, then coilovers and adjustable sway bars are great, although now you are looking at 3k or more installed.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #17
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Quote:
I'm a newb when it comes to suspension so how would you adjust the Koni's? There's a knob or something...but you have to put your car on a lift to adjust it right?

What are the pros/cons of coilovers vs. shock and spring combos? The recomm. ones looks real nice, but I also have no knowledge of coilovers. They too are "customizable."
The front shocks are adjusted inside the engine bay with knobs on the top of the shock that you turn to adjust the dampening level. The rears must be removed from the car and are adjusted by twisting the shock piston.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #18
ni8shadow
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

you have to remove the rears to adjust them? wow...same for the coilovers?
Appreciate 0