E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > just installed Perf. Exhaust-impressions

04-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328i Coupe

just installed Perf. Exhaust-impressions

I have a 328i coupe. If you're on the fence, maybe this will help. First of all, I hate loud exhausts. I think they're for kids and Harley guys. This performance exhaust is not loud, imo. It's refined. Grumbly, low, deep, a wonderful growl. When the windows are up I don't hear it that much, I just feel it. I mean it makes the driving experience feel different. And that's good, because I like the sound of an engine, but I also like the sound of my Logic 7. I love my engine, but it just didn't have quite the growl that I had with an old zhp model. This has the growl. I feel like the car has a more free-flowing feel to it. This is not drastic, it's there in a nice way. It doesn't throw you back in your seat (I never thought it would) but for those who have said that it might be almost a placebo affect, I must respectfully disagree. Strongly. I know how this car feels. I pay way too much attention to it. Ad it feels different.

I bought my exhaust from Evan, only way to go. He's a total pro. And it cost about $200 to install. I had my dealer do it because they're good, they're honest, and they know the car. And if anything goes wrong, they're on the hook. Not some dude at Midas.

I wasn't sure about getting a cold air intake, but now I might pop for that too down the road. I've never modded a car before so this was fun. The car now feels a little angrier, a little meaner, but in a very refined BMW way. I love the car, and I now love it even more.

Sorry, I don't do dynos and you folks have already seen a bunch of really nice videos, so no samples needed here. But it is sweet. Thanks to everyone who ever offered any advice on this. It really helped. Rock on!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
w00kiec00kie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 328i

everything sounded fine until you paid $200 for a 10-15 minute job to basically:
cut exhaust after secondary cats
bolt on new exhaust and pipe with parts provided
no welding whatsoever

tools required: something to cut exhaust piping
(lift recommended)
material used: none

they may know the car, but I'm not convinced that they need to be good to do this nor that they are honest for charging so much... then again it's a stealership for a reason...

the car does definitely feel different and revving the engine is easier (though I can't say that adding the perf intake helped, noticed more difference with the exhaust) but top end gain wise, who's to tell other than a dyno? (and I'm with you on not going on a dyno - dyno-ing for a possible 2-3 whp gain seems pretty worthless... if you're concerned with big hp, prob shoulda gotten a 335, right? )
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

True. Glad you're enjoying yours too. While I have a bit of 335 envy, I love my car, and a little more umph never hurt anybody, right?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
w00kiec00kie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 328i

I think with my luck, I would have turbo lag and blown fuel pump along with some overheated intercoolers all in one car...
But issues aside, I think 335 is a beast.

Then again, I'd rather have an M3 instead of 335 anyways. Just something against turbos or something.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
Evil E90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
I plan to get mine next month. At first I didn't like the sound. I thought it was too loud. Then I heard the Ikon and Remus. They seem so quiet against the BMW performance exhaust. I can't wait to get mine.

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

evil, with the windows up, it's not loud at all. You feel it more than hear it. with the windows open, it's there, but very smooth and refined. In a parking garage, it's a bomb.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Evil E90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfstout View Post
evil, with the windows up, it's not loud at all. You feel it more than hear it. with the windows open, it's there, but very smooth and refined. In a parking garage, it's a bomb.
Do you make alarms go off with it? It does sound very refined and not rice at all. Have you known of anyone who has gotten a modified exhaust ticket with the BMW perf?

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

In my parking garage at work (public) I used to set off some alarms with my zhp, and I hated that. No alarms going off now. Mine would never get a ticket. Just sounds like a nice snarly growl. Not obnoxious like some 911's I've heard, or a lot of the cheaper modded cars around town, and nothing at all like the Harley's that ruin many a beautiful evening here in Chicago. I would say soundwise it's about perfect. I like feeling it more than hearing it anyway.

Last edited by mfstout; 04-19-2009 at 06:16 PM.. Reason: sp
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
Evil E90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfstout View Post
In my parking garage at work (public) I used to set off some alarms with my zhp, and I hated that. No alarms going off now. Mine would never get a ticket. Just sounds like a nice snarly growl. Not obnoxious like some 911's I've heard, or a lot of the cheaper modded cars around town, and nothing at all like the Harley's that ruin many a beautiful evening here in Chicago. I would say soundwise it's about perfect. I like feeling it more than hearing it anyway.
Nice....thanks for your insight. I will order mine when I get my tax refund.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #10
Shazmonkee
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
Sounds like some impressions of the RE IKON exhaust with a resonator delete. Pretty cool!
Appreciate 0