E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Tuned 335 Guy Test Drives E90 M3 - Thoughts

06-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #67
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

OP, thanks for the review. I have not had the opportunity to drive a new M3, but coming from a tuned 335, it sounds like I will be disappointed because I am spoiled by the massive torque output. Also my car has got an lsd and M3 suspension mods too..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #68
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I'm pretty sure I was having fun driving it. Besides do you think M-drive doesn't make people look like better drivers then they are? Different strokes for different folks.
I shouldn't have worded it like that - it's certainly fun. It's just not very good at encouraging driver skill, because it does most of the work for you.

Same holds true for MDM to a lesser extent, but yes...
      06-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #69
v2bling
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: speed demon

c class is still for girls :X
Black Sapphire/Black Dakota/Bamboo/AnthraciteHeadliner/M-Tech Kit/Spoiler/Sports/Premium/Navi/HUD/Comfort/Rear Shades/ParkDistance/Ipod/Sports Auto w/Paddle/Logik7/30% Tint/Clear Bra/KW3/ Radenergie rs10 20"/Defi RedRacer Psi/Smoked front reflectors/ LED interior lights

Soon: Rpi Catback, GIAC or EVOtech flash, Dinan Rear Strut, OEM M5 Mirrors
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2009, 11:05 PM   #70
Insider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I test drove the E92 M3 as well. It was a real slow-poke at my high altitude.
      06-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #71
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurray14 View Post
I shouldn't have worded it like that - it's certainly fun. It's just not very good at encouraging driver skill, because it does most of the work for you.

Same holds true for MDM to a lesser extent, but yes...
I knew what you meant. I was just busting balls.

I think MDM helps just as much as the GTR's systems do. Sure, it doesn't have three diffs to control like the GTR but, everything else is there (throttle, dif, brakes, suspension, trans.). I think the M just lets you feel like it's more you doing that then the electronics helping you.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #72
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

I have to agree with the review... somewhat.

You have to make some tradeoffs with the M3. The problem is, that 99% of you guys are coming from modded 335's into test driving M3's. Of course it's going to feel like a slug on the bottom end. Having a V8 does not equal having TQ all the time. There have to be some tradeoffs. You can either have a V8 with loads of torque, or a V8 that rev's to 8300+ (8600 if you get certian types of software).

It's a much different approach compared to the 335i et al.

I came to the M3 from a E92 335i. I do miss the torque of the N54, but I could never make the switch back to a modded N54 after having a modded S65. I know the N54 when tuned is faster... I have lost to one (JB3, catless DP's, intake, etc.). However, the M3 is a more complete package from the factory.

I love doing autox, and enjoy getting out on the track from time to time. I don't daily my M3, so for my purposes, it's a much better package.

I am glad that BMW makes these two distinct cars, both of which have a very strong following and active owner communities.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #73
Septro
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 e90 335xi

^ Well said.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 10:52 AM   #74
ArktisE92
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 (Sold) / GT3RS / SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
You have to make some tradeoffs with the M3... It's a much different approach compared to the 335i et al.
Well said--four pages and 70 posts later I think you summarized it best. I came away with a very healthy respect for the M3. Is yours a 6MT or DKG? I'd agree with another M3 driver's comment that the S65 is better enjoyed with 6MT...

p.s. If the new X5/6M is any indication, a force-fed powerplant may well be within the realms of possibility for the E9x M3 LCI... now THAT would be a game-changer...
SOLD — '07 E92 335i 6AT ZSP | Drivetrain: Procede CANBUS | Supersprint Catback Quads | Suspension & Handling: Sachs Performance Coilovers | Brembo GT 380/345mm BBK | Breyton Race GTS + Michelin PS2 19's | Vanity: M-Tech Bodykit | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | MFD Air Scoops | ///M Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2009, 11:05 AM   #75
bogdan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArktisE92 View Post
Well said--four pages and 50 posts later I think you summarized it best. I came away with a very healthy respect for the M3. Is yours a 6MT or DKG? I'd agree with another M3 driver's comment that the S65 is better enjoyed with 6MT...

p.s. If the X5/6M is any indication, a force-fed powerplant may well be within the realms of possibility for the E9x M3 LCI... now THAT would be a game-changer...
I have the 6mt, and I enjoy it immensly! With Dinan software, there is nothing like telling yourself to stay on the gas until that 8600rpm is reached. It's a completely different aural experience up there.

Don't get me wrong, I love the DCT! However, the slower, less complicated, and more mechanical approach is what I desire when it comes to transmissions.

With the V8tt going into the X5/X6 M's, I could see the next gen M3 motor being a derivative of that...much like the S65 is based off the sonerous V10.
My dog swallowed my FOB. Luckily it was Comfort Access so I could still drive the car. Of course I had to take him with me everywhere and every time he rolled over the windows went down.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2009, 05:23 AM   #76
ArktisE92
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 (Sold) / GT3RS / SLK55

Lightbulb C63 Test Drive

A week after the E90 M3 test drive I got behind the wheel of a W204 AMG C63. Was an interesting drive and I'm glad I did it. It's a very nice, but also very different car. A couple quick thoughts:
  • What an engine. There's torque down low, mid-range and up top--the -63 simply oozes power. Very linear delivery starting from ~2.5k rpm. Effortless acceleration is an understatement. The avalanche of torque appeals to the lead-footed driver in me but lacks the instant throttle response and "finesse" of the S65.
  • Great soundtrack, but lacks real feedback. The -63 has plenty of growl but the exhaust note doesn't feel as "informative" as the S65 (which I thought was first-rate in this area) or even AMG's own -55. Whereas the M3 "sings" its exhaust note like an audible tachometer, the -63 has this muted growl inside the cabin. The soundtrack's there, but civilized and just enough to hint at the angry V8 up front. In a way it's surprising in an almost turbo-like, bassful way, notwithstanding the NA powerplant .
  • Handling. Spent ~30 minutes in the twisties and came away feeling like I drove an upgraded C-class--in both good and bad ways. Steering is light and accurate, but lacks the razor-sharp feedback of the M3. Turn-in can be a tad mushy at times, particularly when cornering at speed. Suspension tuning is firm (my test car had standard shocks w/o the AMG Performance Package) and the chassis is quite planted under most road conditions, notwithstanding some lateral movement on bumps and fast corners. Overall, it's a very civilized ride but doesn't "inspire" you to chuck the car around...
A couple posters previously mentioned that the C63 is a very different car--can't agree more after the drive. Overall I thought it was a very fun car to drive, but to me the fun's 99% derived from the brilliant powerplant. The rest of the car might as well be all painted in beige, if you know what I mean

Sorry if this offended any Merc fans out there--hopefully it's less "accusatory" coming from a fellow AMG guy...
SOLD — '07 E92 335i 6AT ZSP | Drivetrain: Procede CANBUS | Supersprint Catback Quads | Suspension & Handling: Sachs Performance Coilovers | Brembo GT 380/345mm BBK | Breyton Race GTS + Michelin PS2 19's | Vanity: M-Tech Bodykit | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | MFD Air Scoops | ///M Lip Spoiler

Last edited by ArktisE92; 06-23-2009 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 0