E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > UUC EVO3 SSK DIY supplement notes

10-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #1
bman8
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' E92 335i

UUC EVO3 SSK DIY supplement notes

Finally got UUC EVO3 SSK(no DSSR) installed on my E92 this weekend.

Thanks a lot to folks who shared their DIY online. I mainly followed Bill's online instruction http://www.billswebspace.com/335UUCEvo3DIY.htm

and jahwerx's http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102808 This is for BMW SSK however the removal steps are the same. Especially step 19 is very smart.

I didn't get a chance to take pictures. This is not a full DIY as well and I just want to add some tiny details which might be helpful:

1. The shifter boots is hold by a plastic rim with four small hooks. To remove the boots, instead of pulling the boot straight up, try pushing the rim toward the shifter to give a little gap, then pull it up.

2. No way you can pull off the stock shifter knob like the picture shown in UUC's instruction(unless you are the current governor of California). Adjust seat and find a comfort posture where you can leverage all of your upper body's strength is the key. When the posture is right, the shifter knob will come off without a fight.

3. Mask the trims around shifter with painter tapes. Because sooner or later you will lose patient and bang a tool on your trims.

4. After removing the heat shield, cover the sharp edge with tapes. I got some scuffs on my arm for not doing that. Don't forget to remove the tapes later.

5. Long needle-nose plier is very handy to remove the stock shifter nylon cup. I think it's easier to work with than the two flat head screw drivers.

6. As suggested in Bill's online instruction, cut down the shorter end of the L shaped hex wrench to half of its length. I thought I can get by this until found my car has absolutely no clearance on the left side for the unmodified hex wrench. I ended up bending the long end of the hex wrench to a short "L" shaped wrench. Wasted at least half an hour on this.

7. The UUC shifter should bent to the front and the left. When installed correctly. you shouldn't see any noticeable change in neutral. The UUC instruction has a picture you can compare it side by side when putting the shifter in.

8. Snap ring plier is very handy for locking the shifter in place. After feeding the snap ring into the pivot height adapter, use a flat head screw driver to push the snap ring into the locking groove.

9. Different than what you see in most online instructions. BMW and UUC has changed the circlip(locking the shifter with shift rod) to a close ended style on newer model year(mine is 09). The circlip can be easily removed by pushing the clip up then off.

10. If you want to adjust the shifter's height, don't try to loosen the temper resistant hex screw which is meant to be untouched. You should adjust the 25mm screw above the ball.

11. Since the under-body panel for this mod is almost in the middle of the car, it's a very natural thought to lift the rear end of the car to give more work space. I used ramps and roll ups to lift my car. If you've decided to use a jack to lift the rear of the car when it's on ramps(I won't recommend for this mod). CHOKE THE FRONT WHEEL FIRMLY AND LEAVE THE CAR IN 1ST GEAR!(you will eventually pull out of 1st during the mod). Remember the parking brake only locks the rear wheels. If you haven't done anything to prevent front wheels from rolling back, the moment your rear wheels off the ground, the car will roll down the ramp. For folks who do a lot works on cars I would highly recommend invest in a pair of ramps and roll ups from http://raceramps.com. Use "junk2" as coupon code to get 10% off. (I don't get a penny for doing this). Their ramps are made out of rubber compound in one solid piece. Much safer than cheaper "hollow ribs" design. I got the 67 inches and roll ups. The underneath clearance it gives is great.

Overall this is a fun DIY and well worth the time and money spent.

Last edited by bman8; 11-02-2009 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0