E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > How much should I set aside for building my business?

03-05-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
calieigh
Registered
Rep
Drives: sdf43

How much should I set aside for building my business?

I have just started a cleaning business and I only have a couple of clients (presently). I didn't need much money at all to get started but what I'm trying to figure out is how to determine what dollar amount or percentage I should be putting back into my business or putting away in some savings account for my business. I currently have a SMALL cushion of funds put away for cleaning supplies, etc.
      03-05-2010, 04:18 AM   #2
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
the usual rule of thumb is to be able to support yourself for 3-6 months (depending on the business) without any income coming in.
      03-05-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
Cosmop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Yeah without knowing you monthly expenses it's hard to tell you a dollar amount but six months is a good place to start.
Create a separate money market account for your savings that you don't dip into like your operating account. Use this account for purchasing more expensive equipment to invest in your companies growth.
Also try to build up a large cushion in your operating account so you don't have to put unexpected expenses on a credit card. Try to self finance everything, credit card debt will suck the oxygen out of a small business very quickly.

Also, you should be the last person to get paid at the end of the month. Each month your pay check should be different. On a bad month you might not make anything, on a great month you reap the rewards. I've seen too many small business owners try and pay themselves first no matter what there actual gross revenue is and it's the fastest way to go out of business.

Last edited by Cosmop; 03-05-2010 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
I agree with cosmpop
pay off everything/everyone first. You don't want debts or to dodge anyone.

I usually reinvest into the business around 70%-80%. But my business needs a big money cushion in case shit hits the fan.
I don't know much about your field OP, however I would assume keeping a good working environment, enough cash to keep you afloat for 6 months (salaries, rent, utilities, misc expenses), up to date equipment (depending how important this is for your field) and most importantly, the budget to expand if that's your bag is how much you should reinvest.
      03-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
Cosmop
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

One more piece of advice...
If your serious about making this a real business, get a good accountant to do all your business tax filings. They cost a lot but worth every penny. I know you're from the UK but here in the US you don't want to mess up with the IRS. This is another area I see a lot of small businesses neglect and ultimately get shut down over taxes.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Loans baby, loans.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
Laser McCool
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46

You need to talk with a Banker.. Cashflow is king....