E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > ASR Turbo Upgrade

04-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #67
JoeyFiasco
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
The shot is breaking down into 02 in the combustion chamber and really it shot should have nothing to do with the turbo upgrade. If anything it could make more power with a turbo upgrade. With that said, the fuel system is going to max somewhere in the 5xx range, so that will have to be addressed. I will do a turbo upgrade with nitrous, so I hope I can answer some questions here.
right, i was just wondering the relationship between increased airflow and size of the nitrous shot. I get that you would be making more power regardless.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #68
GreenPlease
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e92

Quote:
now they will have CHRA upgrade competition from Rob Beck.
I thought he was just offering upgraded turbine/compressor wheels and a wastegate fix? He's upgrading the sleeve bearing as well? Hmmm... I'll have to take another look at n54tech...

Sadly, our turbo housings are quickly going to become a bottlneck in our systems, those TD03s are just tiny Also, the intake is also probably a pretty significant restriction at such high power levels. I recently read that the reason the Z35is makes an extra 15hp over the 335is strictly due to a less restrictive air intake. Could be marketing bs but our intake looks far from optimal IMO.
      04-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #69
BMWCadet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 MR M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
I am sorry, but I was always frusterated by the cloud around ASR. Rob Beck is offering a similar upgrade for $2k less and fixing the wastegate problems!
I can understand that and that ASR's pricing will be too high for most and right on the money for others.

The comment about making the same power with nitrous and stock turbos is misleading because for one you can't make those numbers without nitrous. Second, the stock turbos drop like a rock once they're around 5500-6000rpms while those ASR/Rob beck/EPL turbos won't, therefore you have more power for a longer period of time.

I don't know who Rob Beck is or what he does exactly or if he has the expertise that the people at ASR does, but if pricing was equal across the board and you lived in Florida, would you not go with ASR's product?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #70
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCadet View Post
I can understand that and that ASR's pricing will be too high for most and right on the money for others.

The comment about making the same power with nitrous and stock turbos is misleading because for one you can't make those numbers without nitrous. Second, the stock turbos drop like a rock once they're around 5500-6000rpms while those ASR/Rob beck/EPL turbos won't, therefore you have more power for a longer period of time.

I don't know who Rob Beck is or what he does exactly or if he has the expertise that the people at ASR does, but if pricing was equal across the board and you lived in Florida, would you not go with ASR's product?
If you say that making power on nitrous is misleading, then you need to say the same for methanol or race gas or whatever. Power is power. I can make that power anytime I want just like you guys. I do agree that power will fall on stock turbos at high rpms for sure and it is the reason I will upgrade too.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 10:03 AM   #71
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianthegreat View Post
n54tech.com has a detailed thread going on about the upgrade
Thanks. I browsed through the first few pages there and did a search here and on google, so I get the picture on the project he's working on but still have no idea who this guy is.

The price point looks great, but looking for info on whether he owns a respected shop, has done proven work on other turbo platforms, etc.

I noticed he posts here once in a while in my searches - Rob if you can fill in the blanks here it would be great. All I can seem to find to go on is a couple multi-page threads on n54tech and e90 post.

thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #72
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I doubt anyone is going to be able to run nitrous as well as upgraded turbos to begin with. ASR already mentioned that they are at the limits of the stock fuel system even with meth.

Add a "50" shot and the DME won't be able to correct anything once it's out of fuel running super lean and either breaking rods due to knock or melting pistons due to heat. I'd wait for injectors/fuel pump upgrades before going with both nitrous and upgraded turbos.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #73
klipseracer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvieira24 View Post
I doubt anyone is going to be able to run nitrous as well as upgraded turbos to begin with. ASR already mentioned that they are at the limits of the stock fuel system even with meth.

Add a "50" shot and the DME won't be able to correct anything once it's out of fuel running super lean and either breaking rods due to knock or melting pistons due to heat. I'd wait for injectors/fuel pump upgrades before going with both nitrous and upgraded turbos.
Thats why there is this thing called a wet shot.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #74
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
My question is how will be the fuel consumption with upgraded turbos? With the increase of airflow, won't tuners have to increase the flow of fuel?
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #75
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltecBX View Post
My question is how will be the fuel consumption with upgraded turbos? With the increase of airflow, won't tuners have to increase the flow of fuel?
Maybe use the right foot less and stay out of boost? That is the one benefit of really laggy cars, you can have an open throttle blade at low RPM to reduce pumping losses and still not use much fuel because you aren't cramming much air in, yet.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #76
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipseracer View Post
Thats why there is this thing called a wet shot.
I'm going to assume this is a joke...

Wet shots don't have magical injector & fuel capacity upgrades on demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltecBX View Post
The tune will have to provide more fuel until the hardware can no longer provide one with more fuel. At that point the stock in tank pump, HPFP and injectors will be the limitation.
Appreciate 0