E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Biting the bullet....

03-07-2007, 04:14 AM   #1
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Biting the bullet....

(reposted from general E90 area)

....and ordering my first BMW this week!!

I'm being told that in order to receive an M Sport E93 in time for UK plate change (on September 1st) I need to be ordering now. Does this sound right? A near-6 month build time? or is this the dealer just wanting to have me sign on the dotted line as soon as possible?

If it is correct then I will be committing this week...

I'm going for 325i M Sport (manual) with 225 M wheels, leather and wind deflector.

I would have loved to have gone for a 335i M Sport, but at £42,000 ($80,898 USD) it was too rich for me - the 325i M Sport even to my, fairly lowly, spec (no nav, premium sound etc) is £37,995 ($73,145 USD) which is by far and away the most I have ever spent on a car....

Now the quandry - colour combination. I know this has been covered many times before, but I just don't know what to do. Whatever I get, I'm going to be living with for at least two years, if not three, so I've got to get this right.

The combo I really liked (Le Mans Blue and Lemon Dakota) does not show as possible in the bmw configurator - it appears lemon is available on saloon (sedan) only, and not coupe or convertible.

My first choice (after le mans blue with lemon) would be white with coral, but whilst white is very en-vogue in the UK right now, I could find that in a years time, no one wants white anymore and I'm left with a very unfashionable colour combo on my hands.

I would like black (again, with Coral int) but black tends to hide the lines of the M Sport bodykit, which I certainly don't want!

Which leaves me with Sparkling Graphite (again, with Coral - is anyone getting the hint I like the red leather??!!) which I think is going to be the way forward. Would love to hear what you guys think of that combo, and see some pics if anyone has them....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
normski
Rep
Drives: Golf GTi

I was in my local dealer the other day having pretty much settled on an S3 when I decided to have a peak at the 3 coupe.

I obviously wasn't impressed with the SE for "sportiness" but the salesman beat me to the question with "we will have the new M-sport in shortly, so if you weren't in a rush we could get you one within about 6 weeks from you seeing it, or you could even wait a bit longer to order and have it for September".

He showed me some "for internal use only" paperwork showing the build times and I am confident that I could order in two months and still get it before the 57 plate.

I am also looking at the 325, and he suggested that a £2,500 to £3,000 discount wasn't out of the question.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Are build times for coupe and convertible similar then?

If so, I'm obviously being hoodwinked into ordering sooner than I need to. I deally I'd like some time to trawl a few dealers and check out some different colour combinations...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
normski
Rep
Drives: Golf GTi

I can only suggest you call a different dealer and ask them the question to make sure you aren't being duped.

My dealer said they have the capability to make so many cars so quickly, that even with new models they can discount them and get them in a standard time.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Sheps, I think you are being hoodwinked into signing up early. In all the time I've been on this forum I've never heard of an E90/E91/E92 taking longer than 3-4 months from order. Mine was 3 months from order.

In terms of colour, I would go for black with the coral. The black looks great and you can see the M-Sport lines when its nice and clean! White and coral might be a bit of risk in terms of resale value, but it would look flash!

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty View Post
Sheps, I think you are being hoodwinked into signing up early. In all the time I've been on this forum I've never heard of an E90/E91/E92 taking longer than 3-4 months from order. Mine was 3 months from order.

In terms of colour, I would go for black with the coral. The black looks great and you can see the M-Sport lines when its nice and clean! White and coral might be a bit of risk in terms of resale value, but it would look flash!

Good luck!
I've got to agree with the MF beauforty- there is no way your car is likely to take any longer than 3-4 months MAX for delivery, from the day you order it.

From my own experience, stealers will notoriously do anything they can get away with, to get an order out of you.

Some dealers will be 'queued' to receive their allocation before others, but there isn't a huge difference in waiting times between different dealers around the country.
What does vary is the amount of bullsh*t they will give you to get your order, the price you will pay & the quality of the aftercare you will receive- choose wisely!

My advice would be to try phoning a few different dealers, locally & nationally, & be amazed at the different replies you will get!

I think Paul (aka the MF / beauforty) ended up with a better deal on his car , by going to a dealership in Bristol, rather than one nearer to where he lives in London.

Viv

Last edited by vivekk; 03-07-2007 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
miopyk
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 987 Boxster & R56 Cooper S

I think delivery on an e93 might be a different story to the coupe and saloons. The conversation I had with my dealer a couple of weeks ago suggested that if I ordered one then I would be looking at June/July delivery.

As it is nearing it's on sale date and more info appears in the press I would expect the demand to increase. Convertibles have always had longer delivery time in my experiance. I had to wait 7 months for my second e46 vert back in 2002 just after the MSport version was released.

To be sure though I'd ring a few dealers and ask. You never know what they can do until you ask.

Overall I'm glad I put my deposit down on my e93 last summer as I've now only got a couple more weeks till it arrives

Miopyk
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2007, 04:02 AM   #8
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
I think Paul (aka the MF / beauforty) ended up with a better deal on his car , by going to a dealership in Bristol, rather than one nearer to where he lives in London.

Viv
This is true, the deal I got was just astounding compared to what I could get in London.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
southsider1972
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335 M Sport

Ordered E93 335 M Sport on monday, they are telling me July delivery. Would have liked to have seen one in the flesh but figure once it is released the waiting periods will shoot up!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

All ordered!!!

E93 325i M Sport

I went for Black Sapphire with Coral Red dakota.

The wife convinced me that white might not look quite so cool in two years time....

The only options I plumped for (over metallic and leather) were a wind deflector and 225 M wheels (will be adding Alpine navigation and sound system, hence no i-drive/navi/premium sound options).

Am committed to my current car (Impreza) until September, so have requested a September 1st delivery date.

Cannot wait!!

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 11:26 AM   #11
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Congrats Sheps!! Black with red leather is gonna look awesome! Now for the wait................
Appreciate 0