E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPFP failure/updated DMS software/turbo lag/wastegate rattle questions

08-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
JayD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

HPFP failure/updated DMS software/turbo lag/wastegate rattle questions

Have a June 2008 production 335i in the shop for intermittant long crank. No codes present. Currently no turbo lag or wastegate rattle. Service Advisor says everything checks out ok, pump is within specs. Will update software with current software fix. (something related to the startup of the engine to help prolong the fuel pump). Software currently on the car is the original that was out at the time of production. (DME 81 / 30.0.1 or around there). I have read many of the SIBs on the wastegate rattle, turbo lag induced software and current update that is designed to add to the robustness of the HPFP at startup. I am a bit confused and wanted some clarification. Do I need to instruct the tech to impliment the turbo lag software retrofit to my update? I think based on my production date, I dont since everything I read seems to be tailored to production dates prior to Mach 2008. I should have the upgraded wastegate actuators and I am not DME 80 with older software. Does the most current software (2.38 I think) have the turbo lag retrofit already in it? It seems BMW thinks if the car was built after March 2008, there should not be any turbo lag or wastegate rattle issues. (just HPFP issues)

thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Spazdoc
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 C63S, 2001 S4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I had my software update done a while ago, and the lag retrofit done as well, but because of some cruddy starts and having the software updated again.

I wonder also if I need to have it updated again with the lag retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
faded67
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 AW 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Have a June 2008 production 335i in the shop for intermittant long crank. No codes present. Currently no turbo lag or wastegate rattle. Service Advisor says everything checks out ok, pump is within specs. Will update software with current software fix. (something related to the startup of the engine to help prolong the fuel pump). Software currently on the car is the original that was out at the time of production. (DME 81 / 30.0.1 or around there). I have read many of the SIBs on the wastegate rattle, turbo lag induced software and current update that is designed to add to the robustness of the HPFP at startup. I am a bit confused and wanted some clarification. Do I need to instruct the tech to impliment the turbo lag software retrofit to my update? I think based on my production date, I dont since everything I read seems to be tailored to production dates prior to Mach 2008. I should have the upgraded wastegate actuators and I am not DME 80 with older software. Does the most current software (2.38 I think) have the turbo lag retrofit already in it? It seems BMW thinks if the car was built after March 2008, there should not be any turbo lag or wastegate rattle issues. (just HPFP issues)

thanks for the help
No Wastegate retrofit (conversion Option) for your model year. Applies only to Sept 07 and earlier I believe.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Spazdoc
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 C63S, 2001 S4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by faded67 View Post
No Wastegate retrofit (conversion Option) for your model year. Applies only to Sept 07 and earlier I believe.
Do you have the TSB for the wastegate retrofit (fix turbolag)? I had it before, just had my car reprogrammed last week, and need to go back into the dealer (Service Engine Soon light), so I wanted to have it done at the same time.
Appreciate 0