E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > 2007 328i Coupe Pricing Question

07-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
Daika
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

2007 328i Coupe Pricing Question

Hi Guys,

I was hoping I could run my current thoughts on pricing by you all - make sure i'm not too off base.

I'm looking at a couple 328i 2007 CPO coupes in the Southern California area. I've found a few cars that have the color scheme I like. They all have roughly 30k on them, sports & prem pkg, as well as NAV.

The list prices for them at the dealers i've visited have varied from $28k to $30k. Upon my initial visit, all dealers have told me they can't budge on price. This is of course complete BS on their part - i'm planning on emailing them with prices I view as more realistic.

With the one listed at $28k (prior to tax/title and all that stuff), the carfax makes it sound like its been sitting on their lot for 2 months now. Despite their insistance that they can't cave here ("it's a loss leader already!"), i'm guessing they're starting to get a little desperate.

So, based on galves, i'm showing a trade-in value of $20,225.

I'm going:
+$1,500 for getting it mkt ready
+$2,000 for CPO

Based on that, i'm assuming the dealer is in for $23,725.

Add in $1,800 in profit that gets me to roughly $25.5k. At that price the dealer makes a 7% return over 60 days of holding. To me that sounds reasonable. Am I too far off base - can i offer less (or should I offer more) and still have a shot here? I'm planning on offering roughly the same price for the one listed at $30k. For models without nav, i'm looking at making offer prices closer to $24.5k. I don't mind visiting every dealership within 100 miles of LA if i have to - i just want to make sure my numbers are reasonable.

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daika View Post
Hi Guys,

I was hoping I could run my current thoughts on pricing by you all - make sure i'm not too off base.

I'm looking at a couple 328i 2007 CPO coupes in the Southern California area. I've found a few cars that have the color scheme I like. They all have roughly 30k on them, sports & prem pkg, as well as NAV.

The list prices for them at the dealers i've visited have varied from $28k to $30k. Upon my initial visit, all dealers have told me they can't budge on price. This is of course complete BS on their part - i'm planning on emailing them with prices I view as more realistic.

With the one listed at $28k (prior to tax/title and all that stuff), the carfax makes it sound like its been sitting on their lot for 2 months now. Despite their insistance that they can't cave here ("it's a loss leader already!"), i'm guessing they're starting to get a little desperate.

So, based on galves, i'm showing a trade-in value of $20,225.

I'm going:
+$1,500 for getting it mkt ready
+$2,000 for CPO

Based on that, i'm assuming the dealer is in for $23,725.

Add in $1,800 in profit that gets me to roughly $25.5k. At that price the dealer makes a 7% return over 60 days of holding. To me that sounds reasonable. Am I too far off base - can i offer less (or should I offer more) and still have a shot here? I'm planning on offering roughly the same price for the one listed at $30k. For models without nav, i'm looking at making offer prices closer to $24.5k. I don't mind visiting every dealership within 100 miles of LA if i have to - i just want to make sure my numbers are reasonable.

Thanks for the help.
Great! You already have your homework done before your first post! Very impressive. Welcome!

I think you are in the ballpark. 25.5 should be a good price even for the dealer (not sure if presence of navigation system, keeps the price same). Now keep in mind every CPO car is different, there is different expense involved in bringing it to CPO certification.

Dealers anticipate making certain profit. I had a friend up off a car, where the dealer showed him everything and said we have to make about 1000-1200 on the car, and this XX,XYZ is our cost.

Be patient, try finding cars which is listed for about 28-29, and from there on you should be able to negotiate. Go with a reference, or recommendation through friends or other forum members, CA with known reputation helps!

Good luck finding the right car, it will be coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
DJPlayer
Private
Rep
Drives:

25.5 or 26.5k sounds about right. It seems to always depend on how long they've had the car sitting at the dealership.

I passed up some 328i's that are exactly as you specified w/o the NAV for 24k asking price. Think they would only have done 23.5k or so. So depends on the dealership and what they invested into the car.

After dealing w/ numerous dealers I got annoyed and merely starting offering my price from the start. I don't even talk to them anymore.. unless they can at least come near my price first. I got sick of wasting my time w/ certain dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJPlayer View Post
25.5 or 26.5k sounds about right. It seems to always depend on how long they've had the car sitting at the dealership.

I passed up some 328i's that are exactly as you specified w/o the NAV for 24k asking price. Think they would only have done 23.5k or so. So depends on the dealership and what they invested into the car.

After dealing w/ numerous dealers I got annoyed and merely starting offering my price from the start. I don't even talk to them anymore.. unless they can at least come near my price first. I got sick of wasting my time w/ certain dealerships.
What price do you think is a good one for your specs?

Have you left a deal of 23.5k on an 07 with ZSP,ZPP etc.?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
BMW328E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: pre-E90

daika, i am looking for 07-08' 328 sedan in LA,too.

share we shall the information together?

how about your payment,leasing or buying of finance?

Last edited by BMW328E90; 07-25-2010 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: modify
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
jferrell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Mazda3

They should be able to provide you with exactly the amount of work done and cost, add in warranty itself and then add margin. Consider however also this, it's gross profit prior to expenses but after cost of goods old.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
cxc511
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328 6MT

For what it's worth, I picked up my CPO 2007 328i coupe 6 MT with sport, premium, heated seats, 29k, excellent shape for $25.5 this March. I feel like I got a great deal but it's 6 months later so I would expect you to be able to find a car for the range you mentioned. FYI - the original asking price on the CPO sticker was $28,900 and it had been on the lot for a couple months.

If you find a car you want, present an offer and I think you'll be surprised at how the dealer's tone will change. If a dealership doesn't want to negotiate, clearly they are in the wrong business and work with someone else!
Appreciate 0