E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Evolve and Birds mods to my 335i - review

12-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

Thumbs up Evolve and Birds mods to my 335i - review

OK, so I decided to improve what I have (2006 335i E92 SE, 23k miles) rather than change to a new car. I was happy with the performance, but hey, who wouldn't want more? - I wasn't happy with the poor traction and the crashy ride, and slightly vague high speed handling.

So, I replaced the worn out runflats with Conti 5P's which I must say I like the more miles I do on them.
Then off to Birds to have their "Dynamics package"; this is their B3 suspension, Quaife LSD, anti roll bar kit, and rear subframe bushes. What's it like? In short, good, really good. Gone is the unyielding OEM set up, and instead you get three major benefits.
First, more comfort on our awful roads - although don't expect limo-like waftiness, you still feel bumps and ridges, but you can feel them being cushioned much better than before.
Second, much improved car control. The car feels more stable, more planted and gives far more feedback when pushing it. I feel more confident and can judge the road better than before.
Third, and for me the biggie, the traction out of corners is way, way better. You can now actually use the power without it being spun away - and this isn't just a track benefit, it really counts in normal use. Not all the time, unless you drive like a loon, but when it matters, like when you've pulled out in front of an oncoming car approaching you faster than you thought - my error, but I can now power away from a problem, then wave an apology later.

Would I recommend the Birds package? Well, let me say Birds are great; very friendly and professional. My only reservation is the cost. Don't get me wrong, quality doesn't come cheap. And I think the Quaife is fantastic value (note: mine has the bolted crown thingy which is cheaper than the welded by some distance). The Dynamics package I think is slightly less good value even with the LSD included. Only you can judge if you can afford £4k plus, but like I said.......it is really good. On its own, the Quaife would be a top, top mod.

Now to Evolve, who I went to a few weeks after Birds. I had their stage 1 remap done, and they fitted Supersprint back boxes at the same time. The stage 1 took me from 303 hp and 310 ft lb on the dyno (it was a very cold day so the machine reads a little low) to 366 hp and 405 ft lb.
Impressions? Imran is a smashing guy, really nice bloke and clearly knows his stuff. As for the car after the remap - wow! The driving characteristics are similar to stock, but more, much more, of everything. Fantastic shove, and very linear. The car happily pootles around, but nail the throttle and, gulp, this thing is crazy, I love it! The Supersprints are nice and fruity, with a deep note, but not boomy or resonant; lovely. Purposeful.
Would I recommend the Evolve remap? Damn right I would - for £499 it is a steal. Imran is a top bloke too, Rizwan is also charming.

So there you are. Hope this helps anyone considering any, or all, of the above.

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Great review. Utterly insane amount of money to spend. But not many better handling cars for sub 50k on the road I wouldn't have thought than a Bird's fettled 335 e92
      12-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #3
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Great review. Utterly insane amount of money to spend. But not many better handling cars for sub 50k on the road I wouldn't have thought than a Bird's fettled 335 e92
Only a fully fettled car... at Birds, but with added extras? Can't think of one off hand.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Nonsense.

Any Lotus or Caterham to begin with....
      12-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
Nonsense.

Any Lotus or Caterham to begin with....
Plus a Boxter Speedster / Spyder thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Only a fully fettled car... at Birds, but with added extras? Can't think of one off hand.

But then again, it's not exactly sub £50k
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 03:28 AM   #6
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Great stuff Mike.

I've ended up in a similar position to you - but in more stages over time rather than one big jump.

Glad you like it. The B3.5 suspension really is something else, just shows how good a well designed fixed rate package can be - why BMW don't do it i'll never know.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #7
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
good review....enjoy your new car!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 08:10 AM   #8
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Great review. Utterly insane amount of money to spend.
Oh no! My wife has joined the forum LOL!
My only defence is the "it stops me hankering after a new car, so it is actually money saved really........." line - although the wife doesn't look convinced by that if I'm honest.

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

Quaife LSD is without any doubt one of the best mods you can do to a car like the 335. Makes a massive amount of difference to driveability when you're enjoying a spirited drive .
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Im running Hartge dampers and H&R bars.

Quite firm, but a better ride than oem and excellent on track.

Brakes - like the M3 - are the weak link on this car.
      12-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE

Garage List
I always thought what would insurance think if you say you have LSD fitted, I guess most wont even understand what it is, or just put your price up??

Then again, most people prob don't tell the insurance hoping that they will never find out [depending on where it is].
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #12
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Hampshire View Post
Oh no! My wife has joined the forum LOL!
My only defence is the "it stops me hankering after a new car, so it is actually money saved really........." line - although the wife doesn't look convinced by that if I'm honest.

Mike.
You could also use the line that it "makes the car safer, as there's more traction and grip". And also the line "it's more comfortable, so I won't get a bad back"...

Or...

"I never complain when you buy shoes/bags/clothes so don't moan at me when I spend on my car..."

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it!! The Birds kit makes such a big difference to the driveability of the car, and the LSD is still the best modification available IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #13
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
6 month old M3?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
You could also use the line that it "makes the car safer, as there's more traction and grip". And also the line "it's more comfortable, so I won't get a bad back"...

Or...

"I never complain when you buy shoes/bags/clothes so don't moan at me when I spend on my car..."

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it!! The Birds kit makes such a big difference to the driveability of the car, and the LSD is still the best modification available IMO
Cheers Tony......you are speaking from experience by the sound of it! I'll try one or two of those lines out later........
Wife's car is a 6 year old RAV4 that she loves to bits; she can't see the point of spending anything on upgrades at all. Shoes though, different story, bless her heart.
Mike.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Thanks for the feedback Mike. Your car is very well sorted now
Appreciate 0