E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > Canadian looking for help purchasing a new US vehicle

01-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
Orientexpress
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 MB 335i, E70 AW Diesel

Canadian looking for help purchasing a new US vehicle

The past few months I've been searching the USA for importing an X5 Diesel with certain options. I have been unable to find anything CPO even from a reputable dealership either. There has been a few hits on some of the so called grey market dealerships however I am a little hesitant as Ive read the stories about lemons and dealer buybacks. I even tried calling different dealerships to see if they would sell to a Canadian. The answer to all of them was we cannot.
If were to find a US resident who would be willing to place a order from a US dealer, register and title the vehicle in their state and resell to me privately this would be ideal. However I do not have relatives who are remotely close to any of the border states. Obviously I would front for the deposit for the new vehicle, registration and such. Why go through all this trouble some of you ask? Well currently as I special order a Canadian spec X5 35D my total comes up to $85,000 CAD
With a US Spec special ordered I have gotten an MSRP of $66,000 USD. Currently the CAD$=USD$. Now I've read many dealerships will sell 1000 above invoice. Invoice price is 60,000. The difference is huge. I just wanted to explore all options as I am set on purchasing a US vehicle for sure.

Vishnu PROcede V5 Rev.3 | Helix Intercooler | Vishnu DCI | Forge Diverters | AR OCC | AR Catted DP | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Aero Front Lip | Mtech Sideskirts | BMW 269 Wheels | 10&12mm Spacers | BMW SSK | F1 Autohaus LED | Rear Fog Light Mod

Last edited by Orientexpress; 01-07-2011 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
TENCHI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 G12, '17 E300

you cannot export new vehicles to Canada. I believe they have to have been registered in the US for at least a year.

btw, you aren't gonna give us a cashier's check for us to deposit are ya? cuz thats like the oldest scam there is.
      01-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Orientexpress
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I have heard this before that you cannot export a vehicle that has not been registered for at least a year. However, there are many used vehicles some of the even 2011's that can exported. I would assume once the title is yours you can do what you want with it. I also guess DMV rules may be different from state to state.

As far as purchasing yes of course there is a trust issue on both sides. But that can be worked out with an agreement both parties are comfortable with. My understanding from making a special order. Only a deposit is required which would be made by me until the vehicle arrives. Only after the vehicle arrives a full payment can be made which would also be made by me. I would just need a resident to title/register/applicable state taxes which I would also pay then have the vehicle privately sold with a bill of sale. This would become a used vehicle once its been titled.

Vishnu PROcede V5 Rev.3 | Helix Intercooler | Vishnu DCI | Forge Diverters | AR OCC | AR Catted DP | Bastuck Quad Exhaust | Aero Front Lip | Mtech Sideskirts | BMW 269 Wheels | 10&12mm Spacers | BMW SSK | F1 Autohaus LED | Rear Fog Light Mod
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M4

First: I wouldn't sell an X5d anywhere near $1000 over invoice. Everywhere in the country is nearly sold out; they're commanding close to MSRP.

Second: We can lose our franchise if we suspect a client is trying to do what you're proposing. I'm not going to risk my job or the livelihood of my co-workers so you can save some money.

Third: Maybe it's time to play by the rules or move south of the border?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Orientexpress
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473663

1. Its already done. 500 over invoice.

2. I am sure you don't know exactly what every client ends up doing with their vehicle. To the dealership all that is required to make a deposit is? A US address and drivers licence. No one is forcing you to sell anything. I simply was asking for help doing it. It is simple to say you will not risk your job so someone could save money however you would easily sell a person a vehicle over MSRP if he would purchase it to make yourself more money.

3. I did play by the rules. In fact everyone in the transaction is happy. The dealer makes his 500 dollar profit. The US resident titling and registering the vehicle and reselling it to me gets something. The state gets its State Tax. Canadian Government gets its share of tax. I end up still saving quite a bit even after the import fees.
Thanks for your valuable input.

Appreciate 0