E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > question for those w/ DPs and misfires - suspecting O2 sims

06-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
2wheelsrbetter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: hot rod

question for those w/ DPs and misfires - suspecting O2 sims

i've been getting misfires and 1/2 engine limp lately, mostly in morning when cold, sometimes when crusing just on/off throttle. i have a jb3 w/ O2 sims for my catless DPs. just cleaned intake valves (34k on clock and they were filthy btw), replaced all plugs, dealer just replaced hpfp and injector #6. 2 days after i got misfires on 4 5 & 6 again, but goes away after warm-up. i didn't save the codes but they were the same as i had before above work, pre and post lambda sensors.
my question is do i just need to tweak my O2 sims if this is only happening cold or cruising on/off throttle? i've adjusted a few times but i've been getting codes either way - been a pita to be honest, to the point where i want to put my stock DPs back on. car ran great before them.
anyone else have a similar issue??

07 e90 335i
13 mk6 GTI
13 f30 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
all the bms o2 sim does is alter the signal from the secondary o2 sensors, to make it seem like there are cats still in place. pretty unlikely that the o2 sims are causing your misfires. it could be that the primary o2 sensor on bank 2 was damaged during the dp install, however.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

What if it's just on cylinder 5 even after I change my plugs and switch around the coils?
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
2wheelsrbetter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: hot rod

right but if i turn the O2 sim up or down too much the ecu would adjust with more or less fuel no? based on the before/after cat reading.

i thought maybe the sensor was damaged on instal, but i was REAL careful with them. also thinking it wouldn't be intermittent if something was damaged.

so it did it again this morning, i haven't pulled codes yet, just shut down and restarted. 10 sec in when start-up idle starts to drop, it goes real rough and then into limp.

reason i'm thinking it's sim related is that cyl 6 is still misfiring, after a new injector, new hpfp, new software, changing coil packs (coil pack is simply the plastic piece on the plug right?).

i haven't reset all adaptations, but i thought with getting new software from bmw that wouldn't be necessary. might try that tonight.

thoughts??

07 e90 335i
13 mk6 GTI
13 f30 335i
Appreciate 0