E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Can't handle the COBB....

06-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #23
wisco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 328XI / 07 E93 335I

I have lots of experience (unfortunately) and personal testing on this topic.

Radar would have had your V1 chiming desperately.
Every time I have shot laser from my lrb laser gun (I own one) the V1 has never failed to come on. I also have a quad head laser interceptor which works *remarkably* well when the heads are visible to the laser.

Part of laser gun training is being able to visually, and without technology gauge the speed of a moving vehicle. Were you doing some sort of assholian clown shit on top of all this or maybe did this cop see or hear you on another street just before this episode? Sounds like he gotcha and wrote you up for the minimum - maximum ticket he could give you. I see a 49 in a 25 but wow he just wanted to stick it to you.

I would go to court without an attorney and see what they want to do for you before you spend the money. If you ask the city prosecutor he will tell you that the cop probably just eyed up your speed. They usually drop your first ticket ever anyway. Or reduce it to zero points which doesn't do anything for insurance. If you aren't getting what you want the first go around then feel free to pay for an atty. The court will grant you more time to hire counsel.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #24
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I wish I still had the same excitement over stage 1 power.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #25
packinDSS
Lead Foot
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlevin2 View Post
So i thought i would share my bitter sweet story about my first impressions with my COBB AP. I recieved it yesterday after much anticipation. Updated the firmware, downloaded some of the latest maps, and i was off to garage to install it. Installation was a breeze just like i imagined. 15 mins later i started my car running v2.02 93! I couldnt wait to feel the difference. My cars a 08 335xi btw. So i started pulling out of my garage and everything felt fine. I had no lights or codes thrown. I live in Hoboken NJ which if anyone knows is a huge cluster F of traffic/people. Much like Manhatten but with worse roads. So i decieded to cross the bridge into Weehawken to try and give it alittle gas. I coudlnt and woudlnt take it over 30 in Hoboken. I reach my first open streatch of road and HOLY!!!! My car has transformed . I honestly cant believe the difference. It just wants to PULL and PULL. I come from an 01' Jetta 1.8T that was also tuned, but i never felt any drastic changes like this. I made sure to keep it below 50 as i know alot of cops are in the area. I spent about 10 mins driving around then decieded to go home. I pull up to the final light before the bridge to Hoboken along side this old Jeep. We slowly drive off and i notice my lane is ending soon. So i again give it some gas to pass the guy and move into his lane. I have a V1 custom installed and everything i swear it didnt go off. Next thing i know im being flagged over by 3 cops just standing in the middle of the road. The officer told me he got me doing 50 and that part of the road is a 25!!! I couldnt believe it! I have a clean driving record and havent gotten a speeding ticket in years. The officer ended up being the biggest douche ever. Basically screaming and acting as if i killed his family or something. So he gave me a ticket for 50 in a 25. I did some research and find out that anything 25+ in NJ is a mandatory court apperance too I swear i couldnt of hit 50! But have no way to prove it. Well anyway... As for the COBB AP. WOW what a great tune! Now if i can only learn to control myself with it.

Twice the speed limit........judge has the option of suspending your license!!! You may want to get an attorney
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #26
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Nice story, I'm in hoboken all the time bc my fiance lives there currently.

I bet they got you on the road right before hoboken where you can turn right to go into the tunnel and go to NYC. They stand there all the time. You have to drive real slow through there at all hours of the day/night. Its really annoying. They use laser and my V1 doesn't pick it up.

If I were you, I would get a attorney or try and negotiate before court. Tell them you'll pay any fine they ask just as long as you get no points.

Maybe i'll see you around!

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #27
Mlevin2
Private
Rep
Drives: 08' 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisco View Post
Were you doing some sort of assholian clown shit on top of all this or maybe did this cop see or hear you on another street just before this episode?
haha there was no "assholian clown shit" going down at all before the episode. Like i said i just gave it some gas to pass someone and then bam. The cop couldnt of heard me but could have seen.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #28
Magic-Man
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
To answer your questions. The ticket states that my speed was measured by a "speed measurement device". Thats all. And yes my V1 alerts me all the time.

I will be getting my attorney involved on this to get it lowered hopefully to something smaller as to have nothing on my record. Im def willing to pay more for that.
LOL @ thinking a V1 is a get out of jail free card every time
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #29
wisco
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 328XI / 07 E93 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Man View Post
LOL @ thinking a V1 is a get out of jail free card every time
No but the laser interceptor is pretty gosh darn reliable...

And for the guys that say the V1 didn't go off while being hit straight on with laser I have to say it's hard not to call b.s on that. The only time the V1 doesn't go bat sh*t is when your car is being hit with laser directly from the side at over 1200ft. (and laser can only take your speed from a max angle, I would have to check the handbook but I'm guessing no more than 30 degrees) The nice thing with wide angle shots is that they actually reflect a lower rate of speed than actual because the gun doesn't know it's shooting at an angle. Check out the guys of lidar site, I have done the same testing and can verify that. I'm assuming they use prolaser 3 in your state.

Do you know what type of gun they use in that area?

Have you seen it from the side as you drive past it?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #30
BobS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

I'm not sure how they hit you and it doesn't go off, but i'm familiar with where he got ticketed and my v1 doesn't go off. Maybe there is something wrong with my v1? Its 5 years old, it could have a issue. My v1 works everywhere else though. They might be shooting the laser at a angle.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #31
Mlevin2
Private
Rep

To be honest i think i was shot by another officer up the road. There is that little entrance where all these buses park. I noticed as the cop flagged me over he was being told of another car speeding, on his walkie. He asked if he should pursue or not. As to why my V1 didnt go off. I couldnt tell ya. Kinda frustrating though.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:43 PM   #32
Magic-Man
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
To be honest i think i was shot by another officer up the road. There is that little entrance where all these buses park. I noticed as the cop flagged me over he was being told of another car speeding, on his walkie. He asked if he should pursue or not. As to why my V1 didnt go off. I couldnt tell ya. Kinda frustrating though.
B/c radar detectors don't go off every time. I don't care if it's a V1 with a flux capacitor. It's not 100%. The only thing 100% is don't speed.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #33
Mlevin2
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Man View Post
B/c radar detectors don't go off every time. I don't care if it's a V1 with a flux capacitor. It's not 100%. The only thing 100% is don't speed.
This is very true. But....can still be frustrating
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #34
Litos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk

Quote:
I couldnt tell ya. Kinda frustrating though.
cops can actually go to "radar training class" or something like that, meaning they can issue a citiation based on how fast they "think" you were going without using a radar.

and by "think", i mean "trained to judge" how fast you were going....

you have to get certified though.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #35
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
Trade your car in for a Yaris, you'll never have the "too much power" problem
cool car
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 01:59 PM   #36
syncro
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i (E92)/ 340i MPE (F30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee212 View Post
Was goona buy a COBB til this thread, I dont think i want/ready for that much power.
Your a softer man
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 02:02 PM   #37
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
cops can actually go to "radar training class" or something like that, meaning they can issue a citiation based on how fast they "think" you were going without using a radar.

Oh yeah, certified to guess how fast your going so you can be extra a$$hole.

Awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #38
AU335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee212 View Post
Was goona buy a COBB til this thread, I dont think i want/ready for that much power.
to each his own, but you shoulda saved money and got a 328i xP
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #39
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post

Not in the commonwealth of VA, in VA they have to record the speed on a certified device. In fact w/o documentation of the radar gun being calibrated that day then the ticket is tossed out, I've actually seen this happen. I mean its BS if it just becomes "cop said so, so its automatically the truth." Honestly, most cops have 'little dick syndrome' fany way and go batshit if you disagree with them
Appreciate 0