E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Got a call from BMWNA, oil cooler retrofit!

06-17-2007, 10:47 AM   #243
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverState View Post
Just wanted to be clear, either way, but clear. The sentence I quoted above does not have the word apparently in it, nor does it end with a question mark, and stands alone without depending on the following sentence to convey a point. So that's why I ask the question. Not trying play games, just wanted to know if you knew something the rest of us don't.

So far, I haven't heard of guys with the oil cooler having problems, but I could be wrong.
Yes I should have said my case but I doubt my experience will be an isolated one as the summer heats up and more STEPs see driving schools. I'm told by someone very close to the situation that all 15 335s at the Autobahn school in IL Limp and they all have coolers. They suspect excess coolant temp as well. It's just so frustrating to go into Limp after just 15mins of lapping. There were countless E30s, E36s, E46s, E90s and even an old 2002 and my STEP 335i was the only car out there to have overheating issues. Who knows what my oil temp would have done had I been able to go the full 30mins. I'd like to think it would have stopped rising at 290 deg.

Does anyone know for certain at what coolant temp the car goes into limp? It would seem from those graphs it's right around 240-245 deg F.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #244
Nemesis335i
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have the step without the cooler and ran some twisties this weekend. With it being 75F outside, within 5 miles of moderate driving I hit 280.

I have a call into bmw, I hope to hear back soon.

Last edited by Nemesis335i; 06-19-2007 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2007, 11:38 PM   #245
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

I dont think I am going to get it until I get into problem- we should all calm down...
      06-19-2007, 08:20 AM   #246
335I talian Stallion NJ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4 3.0I

I am getting it because of the possible impact on resale value as well as long term high oil temp on the engine if I decide to keep the car for many years
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #247
AHY
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, e70 3.0 m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335I talian Stallion NJ View Post
I am getting it because of the possible impact on resale value as well as long term high oil temp on the engine if I decide to keep the car for many years

bingo! That was my reason, and they accepted it. Took about 1 month total from 1st email to retrofit. I got the oil cooler done last month. They've done 4@ my dealership (before mine). btw, I did not sign the disclaimer...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 11:21 PM   #248
flukey
Go big or go home!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Chance of oil cooler retro fit without sports?

I received my e90 2007 335xi in early May with everything (premium, cold, step, auto) EXCEPT the sports package. I basically decided not to go with the sports package because I was told by my sales representative that the only upgrades the sports package added were the sports steering wheel and the sports seats (previous car was a 2001 330xi and the sports seats hurt my back :\). It was my understanding that no performance related parts differed. That being said... it was an easy choice for me, no sports package. I drive very hard and am disappointed that the oil cooler is only available as retro fit for the sports package. I was wondering if anyone could answer these questions:

1.) Is it definite that the retro fit is only being done to sports package e90s?

2.) Have any of you inquired for non-sports package e90s?

3.) If no one has, do you think I might have a chance by calling BMWNA?

BTW I'm new to the forums. First post!

PS. The bmwusa.com website indicates no top speed differences for the 335xi (all versions getting a 130 mph limiter). Does anyone know if the 335xi sports package has the 155 mph limiter instead of the 130 mph limiter?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2007, 11:29 PM   #249
bimmerFUD
Free Your Heel
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukey View Post
Does anyone know if the 335xi sports package has the 155 mph limiter instead of the 130 mph limiter?
Not unless you also opt for the summer performance tires, which is an additional option on top of the sports package.

Welcome!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 03:52 PM   #250
doubleapex
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i cp

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukey View Post
I received my e90 2007 335xi in early May with everything (premium, cold, step, auto) EXCEPT the sports package. I basically decided not to go with the sports package because I was told by my sales representative that the only upgrades the sports package added were the sports steering wheel and the sports seats (previous car was a 2001 330xi and the sports seats hurt my back :\). It was my understanding that no performance related parts differed. That being said... it was an easy choice for me, no sports package. I drive very hard and am disappointed that the oil cooler is only available as retro fit for the sports package. I was wondering if anyone could answer these questions:

1.) Is it definite that the retro fit is only being done to sports package e90s?

2.) Have any of you inquired for non-sports package e90s?

3.) If no one has, do you think I might have a chance by calling BMWNA?

BTW I'm new to the forums. First post!

PS. The bmwusa.com website indicates no top speed differences for the 335xi (all versions getting a 130 mph limiter). Does anyone know if the 335xi sports package has the 155 mph limiter instead of the 130 mph limiter?
In order to have your local BMW center to install a retro-fit oil cooler in your 335i coupe, the following conditions must be met:

1. Your coupe was built before March 2007
2. Your coupe has been overheating
3. Your coupe has the sport package

If you do meet the above 3 conditions, contact BMW NA customer relations at 800.831.1117 and express your concerns.

The following will then happen:

The BMW NA customer relations rep will forward your information and concerns to BMW NA exec offices. The exec offices will contact you within two to three business days. The local BMW Center of your choice will be contacted, and the retro-fit parts will be ordered. Upon arrival, the retro-fit kit will be installed free of charge.

On a side note:

I have a 335i coupe without the oil cooler and with the sport package and it's not overheating, and I've driven it hard in hot weather. In fact, I took it on a 7 hour road trip at 85mph average in 95+ temps, without any problems. Chances are, you wont have any either.

Hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 05:52 PM   #251
Spazdoc
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 C63S, 2001 S4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleapex View Post
In order to have your local BMW center to install a retro-fit oil cooler in your 335i coupe, the following conditions must be met:
Or sedan. Don't forget, we still exist....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #252
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

Double A,

Thank you for that information. In regard to your experience; I recently took my vehicle on an extended trip in warm weather, averaging 82 mph. With air-conditioning on I experienced a steady 250 to 260 degrees. Now if that was the only type of driving I expected to do I would have not opted for the sports package.
Spirited driving around the hills by my house results in 260 to 270 after short bursts.
My intention is to take my sports sedan and attend driving courses, probably once a year. I suspect I will experience higher temperatures there. Point is, I purchased a performance sedan with a sports package to drive in a sporting manner. Given that the car was sold to me under the guise of a “performance” car (why else would you advertise a 155 top speed vs. 135 for non-sport?) I expect it to act like a sports car. As far as I’m concerned, I never want to find out what it takes to overheat my sports sedan, particularly while in the course of doing whatever it is I purchased it for.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 06:23 PM   #253
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

Quote:

On a side note:

I have a 335i coupe without the oil cooler and with the sport package and it's not overheating, and I've driven it hard in hot weather. In fact, I took it on a 7 hour road trip at 85mph average in 95+ temps, without any problems. Chances are, you wont have any either.

Hope this helps...
It's not the 85mph locked up that's the problem, it's at lower speeds where you are up and down shifting and not locked, and working the STEP hard.. Since the Auto is cooled by the jacket water, it adds even more load when it's working on the shifts on top of the fact that it's the only source of cooling for the oil (no external cooler) as well... that's when you see the high temps. In truth, the STEP is more in need of the external oil cooler than the standard because of that..

In "D", it's not a real problem, agreed. Start using the STEP like a manual in the twisties and you'll see temps climb as Magna3 points out..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #254
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Hope this helps...

No offense buddy, but what you describe is hardly driving a BMW "hard." I have a step sport and can easily reach 295 before slowing down because of the limp mode issue. I can drive the car up the mph spectrum to 110-120 and back down on Atlanta highways and get to those high, high temps. Driving 85 for 7 hours is easy driving. If the car had heat problems based on such driving, it would constitute a gross defect.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2007, 08:03 PM   #255
gracie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

HELP

MY CA says that the retrofit is ONLY FOR THE COUPE. IS THIS CORRECT?

"THIS IS ONLY FOR THE COUPE. CALL CUSTMER SERVICE AND GO THROUGH THE PROCESS. I WISH YOU LUCK. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:47 AM
To: Sales Users - Email
Cc: Jake Logan
Subject: 335i Coupe Oil Cooler Retro-Fit Kit

You may have some previous customers having concerns about the lack of an oil cooler in their car, especially since post March production they are installed in the 335i Coupe with the sport package. Should they want the retro-fit cooler installed here, the following conditions must be met:

1. The coupe was built before March 2007
2. The coupe has been overheating
3. The coupe has the sport package

If your customer does meet the above 3 conditions, have them contact BMW NA customer relations at 800.831.1117 and express their concerns.

The following will then happen:

The BMW NA customer relations rep will forward their information and concerns to BMW NA exec offices. The exec offices will contact them within two to three business days. Our service department will then be contacted, and the retro-fit parts will be ordered. Upon arrival, the retro-fit kit will be installed under warranty.

On a side note:

My 335i coupe without the oil cooler and with the sport package and it's not overheating, and I've driven it hard in hot weather. In fact, I took it on a 7 hour road trip at an 85mph average in 95+ temps, without any problems. Chances are, they wont have any either.

Hope this helps...

Aaron Allsopp

CREVIER BMW Client Advisor

Cell: 714.809.3336

Office: 714.835.3171

Fax: 714.836.7051
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 11:54 AM   #256
doubleapex
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

my understanding is that the retro-fit is for coupes only...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #257
Nemesis335i
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have the sedan and will be getting the retro fit next week.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #258
doubleapex
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis335i View Post
I have the sedan and will be getting the retro fit next week.
I belive you are the exception and not the rule, at least that's the word from BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #259
gracie
United_States
Rep

Hi All,

My Hubby just spoke to BMWNA and it looks like we'll be getting the retrofit. The lady he spoke to was real professional and took care of everything. We have a SEDAN.

Why would it be different for a coupe than a sedan? Wasn't it supposed to be installed in both E90 and E92's with sport?

I don't know, but the next car we buy (and we buy a new BMW every 3 years it seems) will NOT be from CREVIER. They just didn't stick up for us like the other local dealer who most likely will be doing the retrofit. My hubby drives FAST and HARD and we're going to vegas this weekend. I tell you our temp easily hits near 300 degrees before he starts slowing down. Isn't supposed be to driven that way as shown on BMW's commercials and ads?

Gracie
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #260
doubleapex
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie View Post
Hi All,

My Hubby just spoke to BMWNA and it looks like we'll be getting the retrofit. The lady he spoke to was real professional and took care of everything. We have a SEDAN.

Why would it be different for a coupe than a sedan? Wasn't it supposed to be installed in both E90 and E92's with sport?

I don't know, but the next car we buy (and we buy a new BMW every 3 years it seems) will NOT be from CREVIER. They just didn't stick up for us like the other local dealer who most likely will be doing the retrofit. My hubby drives FAST and HARD and we're going to vegas this weekend. I tell you our temp easily hits near 300 degrees before he starts slowing down. Isn't supposed be to driven that way as shown on BMW's commercials and ads?

Gracie
Crevier, or any other dealer, has nothing to do with getting the retro-fit approved. It is the consumer that has to call BMW NA to get approval, not the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 01:56 PM   #261
gracie
United_States
Rep

Crevier took two weeks to get back to us, then said we couldn't do it if you didn't have a Coupe and to call BMWNA. The CA responded via email and said about overheating problems, "... Chances are you won't have any either." We had already told Crevier that our car was running VERY hot.

Another dealer responded immediately and said to call BMWNA and gave us the 4-1-1 on this oil cooler issue. He said if you drive the E90 HARD, temps may get that high.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2007, 03:11 PM   #262
doubleapex
BMW Fan
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie View Post
Crevier took two weeks to get back to us, then said we couldn't do it if you didn't have a Coupe and to call BMWNA. The CA responded via email and said about overheating problems, "... Chances are you won't have any either." We had already told Crevier that our car was running VERY hot.

Another dealer responded immediately and said to call BMWNA and gave us the 4-1-1 on this oil cooler issue. He said if you drive the E90 HARD, temps may get that high.
Sorry about the confusion you experienced at our service department. Obviouslly the person you spoke with didn't have all the information at the time you needed it, and for that I appologize.

I don't have an oil cooler in my car, I drive my car hard, and I work at Crevier...and I won't worry abou an about the oil cooler, unless my car heats up like yours is. Some cars are running hot, while many others aren't. It may seem like most are, because people only take the time to post complaints--not compliments. Although overheating is an issue with some 335's, most will run just fine, even while driven hard, even without an oil cooler.

I've spoken with BMW NA, and they have told me several times that only the Coupes are approved for the retro-fit if the car is overheating. Wheter or not this makes sense is unimportant, however, they are obviouslly making an exception for your specific case. However, it is possible that their policy has changed within the past four days (which is when I last spoke with them about these concerns).

I'm just glad your situation is being taken care of. However, please don't hold our sales department responsible for one service advisor being slightly uninformed. I promise that if you were my client, had you phoned me personally (as many of my clients do), I would have helped you with your issue immediatlly.

Take care Gracie...

Aaron
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #263
DrivesOnPotholes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Just got off the phone with BMW NA. They approved the retrofit immediately after I told them, that it was showing 280 during highway driving and that it's going to get worse when summer arrives in Socal. All in all, pretty straight forward, other than the release form they're asking me to sign.

The BMW rep said it was backordered though and I was wondering for those who already got the retrofit, how long it took to get the part?
      06-25-2007, 04:57 PM   #264
island111
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

Strang, I have noticed that driving easy with the retro fit my oil temp is 235-245 most always. If I put the trans in DS and shit easy at around 3-4000RPM my temps go to 250-255. I wonder if an AIR to oil cooler is really the fix or did the car really need a bigger innercooler and or radiator? 4,000 miles not a drop of oil used. Will the monitor in the I-Drive system show a 1/2 QT down or just when it's at least a QT..
Appreciate 0