E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Gaza's build No.2- 2016 PIC Updates

11-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #287
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Apologies the pics didnt upload in order but im sure you can figure them out
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #288
umut335i
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
Apologies the pics didnt upload in order but im sure you can figure them out
Looking good man! Did you need the replacement disks? Looks like a neat job man!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #289
simmo1985
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 Edition M Sport 320D

Nice work. Car looks great!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #290
achu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Daaamn, you been going in with the DIY lol, can't say I'm surprised though!

Nice job with the rear tweeters, I considered this but I didn't think there'd be enough of an improvement to bother... When I get m3 seats, if they have a tweeter hole already cut then I'd get some components otherwise I won't bother...

For the issue with the mids and tweeters being mutually exclusive, have you tried a passive crossover? It could sound terrible if not tuned properly though... The other option would be to replace the speakers with components instead of a coax and tweeter?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 03:54 AM   #291
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by umut335i View Post
Looking good man! Did you need the replacement disks? Looks like a neat job man!
What discs buddy? I think the answer is 'no' as I didn't replace anything but not to sure what discs you mean. Other wise yeah it came out neat...factory looking so I'm please. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo1985 View Post
Nice work. Car looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu View Post
Daaamn, you been going in with the DIY lol, can't say I'm surprised though!

Nice job with the rear tweeters, I considered this but I didn't think there'd be enough of an improvement to bother... When I get m3 seats, if they have a tweeter hole already cut then I'd get some components otherwise I won't bother...

For the issue with the mids and tweeters being mutually exclusive, have you tried a passive crossover? It could sound terrible if not tuned properly though... The other option would be to replace the speakers with components instead of a coax and tweeter?
Bro DIY is what makes the build for me...otherwise its boring and you end up with a car that you haven't sweated and bled over! lololz

The hardest part (made easy with my dremel and cutting disc) was cutting out the plastic. Nerves will get the better of you (or at least me) when cutting the leather but tbh once the hole is cut in the plastic to use as a guid its difficult to over cut the leather. I just used a scalpel.

For me this was more weighted on the aesthetics side...I've always loved the look of the tweeters in the rear doors. BUT....as for improvements I'm not to sure this can be written off.

Firstly my rears weren't working. After my set up had been tuned by Mak I blew the rears as they were shitty oem ones and probably couldn't handle my enthusiasm at the shows! ! So I've been without rears for a month or so. Now with the MS8 the sound that comes from the rears is weird. It almost sounds like you're playing music in an echo-ey metal drum that's then being played in a large room with only hard surfaces. It waves and pulses at different frequencies like someone is playing with the volume nob. Its so weird to describe and tbh if they were the only speakers playing you'd swear there was something majorly wrong. But combining this output along with output of the rest of the speakers in the system (all being controlled by the MS8) and wow. As I've not had them playing for a month or so getting them back has made a huge difference. They won't help with SPL by no means but on an SQ basis and listening to music as a decent (normal) level...WOW! UNREAL. I really rate the MS8 BIG TIME!!!! I think the negativity surrounding it comes purely from people who don't know how to set it up correctly. What this thing does for my music and listening satisfaction is simply amazing!

As for getting them to sound at their best...again...the MS* will tune accordingly and get the best out of them when the tweeter and mid are combined. This is what the MS8 does...it listens and then adjusts so I'm excited to hear what it adds with the tweeter. Making both work is simply a wiring job but before I cut anything I need to speak to Mak and make sure there isn't another way without cutting wires.

Components are an option but fitting is a nightmare with the limited depth available. Best and easiest route for me was an oem speaker and getting my hands on the bmw individuals and tweeters. Saves having to mess around with fitment.

Last edited by gaza01; 11-04-2014 at 04:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #292
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

So today i took a dive up to Jammy's to have my CIC installed. He made light work of the install and it was soon up and running.

The drive home i had a good butchers around. Love the interface and the controller...especially at night when its lit up! But most of all for me was the improved sound quality over CCC. Mak had told me to expect this but i didnt realise it would be that much better.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 11:06 AM   #293
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #294
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Good seeing you today Shaun, thank you SO SO SO SO SO SO SO much for practically putting in my new headliner for me. Yes I know I am crippled but even if I wasn't I know you'd still have done it for me your that good brotherin!

Can't be more grateful!

Your CIC with that extended fox red leather is just toooo much for me bro, CHEEEESE!! Love it.

Jammy the man once again!
      11-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #295
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Shaun nice mod the CIC I see these all the time and wish I had it in mine from day one but you know what apart from using the screen for music(controlling my Dension 500)I honestly wouldn't use all the facilities hence I've held off...... well for now at least

But its the speeed and control of these units that immediatly struck me when I first used a CIC equipped car made and does make my CCC unit look/feel rather clunky.

Jammy's a good man I collected a headlining from him a couple of months back(sill haven't fitted it yet)and when I knocked at his door he thought I was the man to look at his showerhe'll remember

But the next job for me is the headliner which will really do he trick for me re the interior... for now.
      11-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #296
Ess
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Looks great Sean, very envious, my car hasn't got iDrive at all
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #297
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Good seeing you today Shaun, thank you SO SO SO SO SO SO SO much for practically putting in my new headliner for me. Yes I know I am crippled but even if I wasn't I know you'd still have done it for me your that good brotherin!

Can't be more grateful!

Your CIC with that extended fox red leather is just toooo much for me bro, CHEEEESE!! Love it.

Jammy the man once again!
Sam no worries man...always here to help!...and thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Shaun nice mod the CIC I see these all the time and wish I had it in mine from day one but you know what apart from using the screen for music(controlling my Dension 500)I honestly wouldn't use all the facilities hence I've held off...... well for now at least

But its the speeed and control of these units that immediatly struck me when I first used a CIC equipped car made and does make my CCC unit look/feel rather clunky.

Jammy's a good man I collected a headlining from him a couple of months back(sill haven't fitted it yet)and when I knocked at his door he thought I was the man to look at his showerhe'll remember

But the next job for me is the headliner which will really do he trick for me re the interior... for now.
I know what you are saying regarding CCC vs CIC. It was always my sticking point as well...but with jammy's offer it just had to be done! Music clarity is so much better...its the most striking improvement for me.
As for the headliner...get it sorted asap. Its a subtle mod...not a huge impact visually but it creates a really nice interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess View Post
Looks great Sean, very envious, my car hasn't got iDrive at all
Thanks Seb...but not having Idrive is not the end of the world. You can easily have CIC.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 06:46 AM   #298
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yesterday was a LOOOOOOOONG day. I hired a lift for the day so wanted to cram as much as possible in while i had use of the lift. Planned to do engine oil transmission fluid, rear diff oil, intercooler, charge pipe and dps!...a tall order i know.

Well only got through engine oil, rear diff oil and dps.

Dps were a nightmare...ish! Took 12hrs but i only had 2 main sticking points. One sticking point chewed into 2hrs but now i know it wont be an issue. The second sticking point eat into the best part of 5hrs! I simply couldnt get the inner pipe onto the turbo and get the clamp around it. With advice from Kev335i i finally got someone to hold the pipe for me and the clamp was on. Next time i think i can get through this in about 4hrs
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #299
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Pics
Pic of no dp on the car and first dp off

Bloody app again messing up uploading and the order
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #300
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

More pics
First pic is the dps installed. Looks like they are touching but that's just the picture angle
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #301
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Bit confused here mate lol, you fitted a dpf delete and a downpipe?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #302
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_335d
Bit confused here mate lol, you fitted a dpf delete and a downpipe?

Cheers
Blame the app! Lolol
Pics were in meant to be uploaded in order

Anyway my car is a petrol so no dpf for me. I removed the 2 catted downpipes and replaced them with catless downpipes
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #303
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

Ok haha thought it was a D
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #304
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
Yesterday was a LOOOOOOOONG day. I hired a lift for the day so wanted to cram as much as possible in while i had use of the lift. Planned to do engine oil transmission fluid, rear diff oil, intercooler, charge pipe and dps!...a tall order i know.

Well only got through engine oil, rear diff oil and dps.

Dps were a nightmare...ish! Took 12hrs but i only had 2 main sticking points. One sticking point chewed into 2hrs but now i know it wont be an issue. The second sticking point eat into the best part of 5hrs! I simply couldnt get the inner pipe onto the turbo and get the clamp around it. With advice from Kev335i i finally got someone to hold the pipe for me and the clamp was on. Next time i think i can get through this in about 4hrs
They are tricky, but fair play in doing it yourself Shaun, fair play you could of quite easily had it gone wrong disabled your car, time wise I bet after 12 hours you could've quiet easily wished you'd not of bothered but you've done it. Next time as you say you'll remeber certain things and it'll become easier.

The inner pioe(bank 2)is the tricky one and the one we've seen with particular issues on certain pipes as you say room is tight, if you've got long thin arms and happen to have long fingers you're at an advantage thick arms big hands and 335i pipes don't exactly work in harmony

Main thing though is that they are on, I trust sensor wise you didn't encounter any issues and wire wise everything though tight is in its correct place.

But great effort
      11-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #305
Greg330
Major
Rep
Drives: E91 335i

Patience of a saint! It looks like bloody hard work fitting dp's!!

Bet it sounds rude now though!!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #306
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Shaun,
From texting you on the day and you almost throwing in the towel, to this is just testament to your attitude... never give up.

Real dedication buddy and from painting your own 3 piece wheels to give it a better finish than PROFESSIONAL bodyshops to now this.... you have some talent and very good knowledge dude.

Hats off.
      11-24-2014, 04:09 AM   #307
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Steve so far so good. I made sure to note exactly which sensor when where so all good. Sound wise its amazing! But yes as u say long skinny arms would work a treat...unfortunately i am not that lucky! Lol.

Greg thank you. By far the most difficult thing ive done on the car to date!

Sam thanks for the support buddy. I did nearly give in. I was literally on the brink of calling Steve and telling him to expect my car turning up on a tow truck the following day.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #308
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Well the day didnt start to well. Mrs knew i had things planned but thought it was a good idea we went xmas shopping. Was supposed to go to A1 to see steve to get my adaptions reset but by the time she was finished going into EVERY possible shop there just wasnt enough time to get down to A1.

So on to the second part of my plan for the day!
Firstly big respects to Sam (Awbimmer). This guy is relentless! He's been searching for a deal on airride kits for months now and struck gold yesterday. Managed to get us each

Dual 444c compressors
Dual 2.5gal tanks
Dual water traps
3/8" lines
Airlift performance struts
V2 management! (Read his buold thread for the saga behind that)
And some other bits all for a FANTASTIC price!

Cant wait to get this fitted!
And as such my 9mth old, 5k miles BC coIlovers will be up for sale soon if anyone is interested
Appreciate 0