E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Sac valley member chat thread

02-11-2014, 12:09 AM   #3433
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjb View Post
What's up Eric!

The ex still drives the ML. I drive the 335i. I'd like to get a larger, more practical yet not too costly 7 passenger SUV. I think I've narrowed it down to the honda pilot or ford explorer.

I know I'll get one eventually. Just trying to decide if I do that first or a new home. New home makes the most sense so I'll likely drag my feet and get the ride next year...

I like your idea of an Audi. I think my next move will be a sporty 5 seat sedan. A little more room would be nice too!
How much are you looking to spend on for your SUV?

I bought my X5 4.8 at Carmax (took me 2 months of searching before the best deal popped up) and paid $25k for a fully loaded 2007 x5 at 60k miles. It has a lot of extra too.

I have Navigation, Sport Package with Sport Seats, Heated seats, Technology package, adaptive control, Rear view camera, Rear Heater controls (forgot the name of it in both the second and third row seats)19 wheels, 3rd rear seat, Hifi Audio, Convenience package, Blue Tooth, USB with iPhone connection, Self-leveling suspension, Heated/dimming/folding Mirrors, roof rack, Alarm and Self Adaptive Xenon Head lights.

I was just looking for a few basic features like 3rd rear seat, adaptive control, hifi audio, and heated sport seats. The rest was just a huge bonus with the car i found

If your willing to keep an eye out you can get a good deal at carmax. My car was 4k under private party blue book! I had it shipped from LA as well.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:59 AM   #3434
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAC83 View Post
Does anybody know of any good BMW shops in Sacramento? Earlier today, my car has decided not to build any boost, run like crap, and throw a CEL out of nowhere. A little while ago, I went to start it to see if I could find the problem.. Hard start, stumbles to life (barely), and then chokes and dies.. Currently won't start. Any help would be appreciated.
to my best guess, your injectors took a poop on you.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:51 AM   #3435
Gamma6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

I finally got it to read. After going thru a ton of drivers. I pulled 3 codes:
11829 Injection Valve, Cylinder 6.
12465 high pressure injector cyl 6, circuit high.
10706 Misfirings, cylinder 6
My instincts tell me to order an injector asap (online) instead of swapping injectors from other cylinders yet i also want to check the plug connection although i dont see how it would come loose. I guess ill wait another day and call the stealership for a quote for an injector and check the connection. Would anyone local be able to code it for me? Im assuming it is the injector; all codes point to it so i dont see why it wouldnt be...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:56 AM   #3436
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma6 View Post
I finally got it to read. After going thru a ton of drivers. I pulled 3 codes:
11829 Injection Valve, Cylinder 6.
12465 high pressure injector cyl 6, circuit high.
10706 Misfirings, cylinder 6
My instincts tell me to order an injector asap (online) instead of swapping injectors from other cylinders yet i also want to check the plug connection although i dont see how it would come loose. I guess ill wait another day and call the stealership for a quote for an injector and check the connection. Would anyone local be able to code it for me? Im assuming it is the injector; all codes point to it so i dont see why it wouldnt be...
If the dealer installs it they will include coding. The issue that you might come across is getting the one injector you need. I had 1 injector go bad and ended up getting all 6 replaced under the CA emissions warranty since they no longer sell the old ones and since bmw changed the design they aren't compatible with the old injectors.

How many miles are on your car? There is a 70k 7 year injector warranty on the car and thats what got my injectors replaced. If your still in the warranty period call up Elk grove and set and appt asap. If they replace your injectors you'll get 6 new ones. Thats what happened with me.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:07 AM   #3437
Gamma6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
If the dealer installs it they will include coding. The issue that you might come across is getting the one injector you need. I had 1 injector go bad and ended up getting all 6 replaced under the CA emissions warranty since they no longer sell the old ones and since bmw changed the design they aren't compatible with the old injectors.

How many miles are on your car? There is a 70k 7 year injector warranty on the car and thats what got my injectors replaced. If your still in the warranty period call up Elk grove and set and appt asap. If they replace your injectors you'll get 6 new ones. Thats what happened with me.
Im planning of doing the work myself. Just need them to get coded.
Hmm im at 65k 2007 with a 12/06 build date if that matters...
My mods are what keep me away from the dealer. Unless theres no issues. Im not sure if thats when the real "mod vs warranty/recall work" comes into play
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:20 AM   #3438
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im planning of doing the work myself. Just need them to get coded.
Hmm im at 65k 2007 with a 12/06 build date if that matters...
My mods are what keep me away from the dealer. Unless theres no issues. Im not sure if thats when the real "mod vs warranty/recall work" comes into play
I'm not sure if the warranty starts the day the car was first sold from the dealer or at the build date. The best you could do is call up elk grove tomorrow and ask them to input your vin and check. Hopefully you didn't miss it by a few months

It looks like the warranty was CA related only, its not even a bmw warranty. I never really looked it up before.

http://www.smogtips.com/federal-emis...california.cfm

Quote:
California Emissions Warranty

The State of California has its own emissions component coverage for 7 years or 70,000 miles. This emissions warranty is an addition to the Federal Emissions Warranty. The California Emissions Warranty covers many more smog parts than the Federal Emissions Warranty for 8/80. There are also certain year, make and model vehicles that may have emission parts covered under the California Warranty that go above and beyond the normal parts coverage for 8/80. There are differences from one vehicle year, make and model, gasoline and diesel engines. There are also differences between trucks that are over/under 8,500 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW).
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)

Last edited by buster84; 02-11-2014 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #3439
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Hey Eric, @lawwailok

looks like Kyle is going to try the E50 PTF MAP.

Let's hope he puts in the correct blend. MUAHAHAH HAHAHA HAHAAAA

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #3440
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Warranty is from date sold to original owner.

Eric,
Good advice. I want to spend around $30k... Not much more. The X5 is now an option. Just worried about repair costs. Any issues?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #3441
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:

Eric,
Good advice. I want to spend around $30k... Not much more. The X5 is now an option. Just worried about repair costs. Any issues?
I almost bought another CPO BMW. But I just wanted something brand new this time and couldn't afford a new one I wanted like an x3 or x5. So far i am happy with the Terrian, I don't need all the materialistic items that come on a BMW... right??

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #3442
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
Hey Eric, @lawwailok

he told me he ordered VRSF DP too... i was like... good luck... IMO he jumped too fast and doesn't even know what the potential of the car has...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #3443
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Eric,
i bought mine 1.5 years ago. it was a 2009 and CPO with only 19,xxx miles when i picked it up. so far we racked up to 45k miles already and i picked the 3.0 I-6 instead of the V8 cuz mainly it is a DD for wife, so she doesn't need the extra power for kicks. also i strongly believe the traditional I-6 is more reliable than the V8 not to mention the mpg. giving the fact the X5 is a pig, yes, it's over 5000 lbs vehicle and with mixed driving, my wife drives from Natomas to Bradshaw everyday for work, we still get 20 mpg average. which is not bad at all.

other than the regular known problems... oil filter housing gasket leaks, possible valve cover gasket leak/oil pan gasket leak down the road. the car so far is very solid. and i have a few of them already replaced under warranty and my CPO still intact until next year, so i think im in good hand. at least the NA motor don't have to deal with injectors/hpfp/lpfp... all these crap we do with N54. it is a comfy suv (should be very comparable with the ML but i haven't driven an ML to compare besides test driving an ML only). i didn't get one with 3rd roll seats, we looked at one with 3rd roll but that seat seems a joke to me. wife said rather get one without cuz the seat is pretty flimsy and once the seat is folded up, you have NO storage area. we have our stroller stations in the cargo all the time so we need space in the trunk instead of a useless seat.

total different driving experience than the 335i. if i have to choose, i would sell my e90 for one more x5 if i have to. only down side is, X5 front camber sucks, it actually is set as a positive camber from factory and that control arm has barely none adjustment you can do, so it results outer tire treads wear faster than inside and all you can do is to adjust it to 0 camber to prolong the wear on the front tires.

pano roof is a plus, my daughter loves the pano roof to look at the sky when we are on the road. i've look at other alternative before i made the move, ML (boring car), range rover sport (too small), range rover HSE (too pricey and still too many problematic car), Cayenne (too small especially the backseat), Q7 (very roomy but like driving a boat!!), at the end me and wife decided on X5, and i have no regret on the purchase at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #3444
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawwailok View Post
he told me he ordered VRSF DP too... i was like... good luck... IMO he jumped too fast and doesn't even know what the potential of the car has...
DP's will be a nice add. Told him to try out OTS E30 MAP once he gets it installed to see if its better than the E50 PTF. May be close but i think the E50 will be more agg? BUT HE HAS TO LEARN HOW TO LOG.

Kyle, remember, DPs will definitely void your warranty on your Turbo's.

here more to read:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729833

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #3445
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
DP's will be a nice add. Told him to try out OTS E30 MAP once he gets it installed to see if its better than the E50 PTF. May be close but i think the E50 will be more agg? BUT HE HAS TO LEARN HOW TO LOG.

Kyle, remember, DPs will definitely void your warranty on your Turbo's.

here more to read:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729833
yea man, he has to learn the car slowly instead of a big jump.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #3446
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Eric, @lawwailok

E50! I hope he has an inline pump in their or a new oem lpfp. I'm not sure if a stock oem fuel pump can handle e50.

Quote:

Eric,
Haha i think you mixed eric up with my post, that or he recommended it before i did and you didn't see my post.

Quote:
i bought mine 1.5 years ago. it was a 2009 and CPO with only 19,xxx miles when i picked it up. so far we racked up to 45k miles already and i picked the 3.0 I-6 instead of the V8 cuz mainly it is a DD for wife, so she doesn't need the extra power for kicks. also i strongly believe the traditional I-6 is more reliable than the V8 not to mention the mpg. giving the fact the X5 is a pig, yes, it's over 5000 lbs vehicle and with mixed driving, my wife drives from Natomas to Bradshaw everyday for work, we still get 20 mpg average. which is not bad at all.

other than the regular known problems... oil filter housing gasket leaks, possible valve cover gasket leak/oil pan gasket leak down the road. the car so far is very solid. and i have a few of them already replaced under warranty and my CPO still intact until next year, so i think im in good hand. at least the NA motor don't have to deal with injectors/hpfp/lpfp... all these crap we do with N54. it is a comfy suv (should be very comparable with the ML but i haven't driven an ML to compare besides test driving an ML only). i didn't get one with 3rd roll seats, we looked at one with 3rd roll but that seat seems a joke to me. wife said rather get one without cuz the seat is pretty flimsy and once the seat is folded up, you have NO storage area. we have our stroller stations in the cargo all the time so we need space in the trunk instead of a useless seat.

total different driving experience than the 335i. if i have to choose, i would sell my e90 for one more x5 if i have to. only down side is, X5 front camber sucks, it actually is set as a positive camber from factory and that control arm has barely none adjustment you can do, so it results outer tire treads wear faster than inside and all you can do is to adjust it to 0 camber to prolong the wear on the front tires.

pano roof is a plus, my daughter loves the pano roof to look at the sky when we are on the road. i've look at other alternative before i made the move, ML (boring car), range rover sport (too small), range rover HSE (too pricey and still too many problematic car), Cayenne (too small especially the backseat), Q7 (very roomy but like driving a boat!!), at the end me and wife decided on X5, and i have no regret on the purchase at all.
I have to agree with everything here. I get about 15mpg city and 18-20mpg all highway. The v8 is a gas guzzler, but for me i wanted the 3rd rear seat option more than the v6 so i stuck with the v8 since their cheaper than the v6 models for some reason (i guess because of the bad gas mileage). The v8 has a lot of torque though, i get get unto speed pretty fast. I was pretty surprised how fast i could accelerate with the 4.8

If i had a choice to do it over again with 2 exact cars but only an engine difference i would have chosen the v6 engine and skipped the added warranty since the 6 is more reliable. I added a 125k mile 6 (maybe 7 i forget) year warranty to the car for $3k more. Although if i was towing a boat, car or jet skies often then the v8 would be the better choice for the torque.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #3447
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
E50! I hope he has an inline pump in their or a new oem lpfp. I'm not sure if a stock oem fuel pump can handle e50.

yeah it can. i have logged several times and it handled OK. a couple line items at 52, but the average is well mid 60's. I know its not 72, but mid 60's is workable. below 50 is bad.

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #3448
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
yea man, he has to learn the car slowly instead of a big jump.
he is coming your way to learn how to log. LOL he just told me. you taught me, well sort of. remember?

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #3449
jo2dv390
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Whats up everyone; I'm new here and just wanting to know when the next meet would be if any. Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #3450
Gamma6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure if the warranty starts the day the car was first sold from the dealer or at the build date. The best you could do is call up elk grove tomorrow and ask them to input your vin and check. Hopefully you didn't miss it by a few months

It looks like the warranty was CA related only, its not even a bmw warranty. I never really looked it up before.

So i called bob from eg niello and i happened to miss that deadline. He couldnt give me any advice on what to do since he could be liable. Told me to bring the car in but i told him i was misfiring and suggest i not drive it and would email me some suggestions.
Being that im gonna do the work myself i then called bmw on fulton since its closer to me to pick up an injector. Couldnt make it by closing time but scott helped me from service and i got a second opinion except this time he said that i could try a new injector and that it doesnt matter if i mix and match updated injectors along with the old ones.
I would still need coding done, could anyone help once i complete the install?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #3451
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma6
Quote:

So i called bob from eg niello and i happened to miss that deadline. He couldnt give me any advice on what to do since he could be liable. Told me to bring the car in but i told him i was misfiring and suggest i not drive it and would email me some suggestions.
Being that im gonna do the work myself i then called bmw on fulton since its closer to me to pick up an injector. Couldnt make it by closing time but scott helped me from service and i got a second opinion except this time he said that i could try a new injector and that it doesnt matter if i mix and match updated injectors along with the old ones.
I have the cable if you want to use it. I lost the software when I reformatted but if you download it all and get it all setup on your computer you can use my cable to code it. I can help with basic coding but never did an injector if you find a DIY that would help for sure.
2007 Bmw X5 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 12:43 AM   #3452
JamesAC83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
to my best guess, your injectors took a poop on you.
I think you may be correct... I looked into the symptoms of injector failure, and it appears to be spot on, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 01:15 AM   #3453
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i think you may want to double check, i've read numerous threads saying new injectors don't mix with old one. just on the safe side. some SA at fulton is nothing but just a.hole and gives out wrong suggestion IMO. most SA at elk grove are much more knowledgeable.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2014, 01:16 AM   #3454
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
he is coming your way to learn how to log. LOL he just told me. you taught me, well sort of. remember?
i guess im starting to charge him "consultant fee" should i? LMFAO!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0