E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Power Box FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #331
Wake27
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i ZPP ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctv View Post
....... what? answer it. It's not like I'm asking if you can beat one with the box.
Still won't do too well.
2006 JB 330i/ZPP/ZSP/I-Drive/Heated Seats/L7/Blacklines/19" Gunmetal V710's on Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas/BMS PBX/Red MFD Scoops/Matte black grilles/Matte black Amber Gone 2.0s/BSW center midrange speaker/35% tint/Black and white roundels
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #332
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysBlueE92 View Post
+ 10000000 this would be soooo much better than the gas pedal method
Actually I was semi joking. I wish there is a way to automatically switch between two maps just like how the auto seat adjustment is done so the wife does not bitch it is a wrong car
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #333
1997gtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi | 08 S5 | 02 S4

Anyone in the Fairfield County, CT area want to install one for me?
      10-31-2010, 04:06 AM   #334
rault18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

I love my pbx. Mike hooked it up !!! Install was easy

Glad ur liking it!!!! Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 02:52 PM   #335
Olorin
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Will this PBX box benefit those with 4 cylinder engines, like a 320i ? I've got an E90 320i and will do ANYTHING to improve throttle speed or acceleration. This seems like it gives a very nice noticeable improvement on 6cyl engines but what about 4 cyl ?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #336
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
Will this PBX box benefit those with 4 cylinder engines, like a 320i ? I've got an E90 320i and will do ANYTHING to improve throttle speed or acceleration. This seems like it gives a very nice noticeable improvement on 6cyl engines but what about 4 cyl ?
Doesn't work with the 320s

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #337
chuson
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Hi all, I'm new here as you can see it's my first post, and I posted right @ the PBX thread due to all the positive reviews

How many of you did this install on the LCI 328 xdrive, the reason I'm asking this is the LCI has more juice than the pre-LCI on a similar engine, will the engine be pushed to its limit already and damage the internal with this mod?

What's your thought on the gain (for those with LCI 328 only thanks)

Will the remapping screw up the xdrive as the BMW AWD is electronic based rather than mechanically based?

How much and who can install it for me in Toronto?

E-mail me is the way to go as PM is not working.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #338
BlackBimmer1991
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black f32 428i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuson View Post
Hi all, I'm new here as you can see it's my first post, and I posted right @ the PBX thread due to all the positive reviews

How many of you did this install on the LCI 328 xdrive, the reason I'm asking this is the LCI has more juice than the pre-LCI on a similar engine, will the engine be pushed to its limit already and damage the internal with this mod?

Will the remapping screw up the xdrive as the BMW AWD is electronic based rather than mechanically based?

How much and who can install it for me in Toronto?

I Had it installed on my 328xi. Its was great. the throttle response was alot better then stock. I selling mine. PM me if your interested
      11-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #339
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

Quote:

how does the lci have more "juice" than the pre-lci?
      11-16-2010, 06:57 AM   #340
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Quote:
For DD I wish there was something in the middle-75% maybe?
Totally agree. I wish the maps were 50%, 75%, 100%. Who here runs on a 30% map?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #341
chuson
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBimmer1991 View Post
I Had it installed on my 328xi. Its was great. the throttle response was alot better then stock. I selling mine. PM me if your interested
Can you e-mail me cause I can't PM yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino45 View Post
how does the lci have more "juice" than the pre-lci?
haha... I must be mixing up the 325i spec and 328i spec Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #342
BlackBimmer1991
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black f32 428i xdrive

Quote:
Can you e-mail me cause I can't PM yet.

haha... I must be mixing up the 325i spec and 328i spec Thanks for the heads up.
whats your email
      11-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #343
1997gtx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi | 08 S5 | 02 S4

^ super_jason_chu@hotmail.com
      11-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #344
Hooy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 328i, E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 328  [5.00]
Instead of writing a whole new review on the PBX, I'll just add onto this.

I have a 2008 E92 328i 6AT. Unmodded aside from the PBX. I had Motorwerks of Houston install this for me in only 30 minutes, and the difference is night and day.
The car will respond immediately to light pressure of the pedal, making it FEEL a lot more torqey and faster. Technically, it IS faster since you spend less time shoving your foot through the floor to get the car rolling from its default 2nd gear. The amount of effort involved in just MOVING the vehicle is drastically reduced and it makes driving around the city a BREEZE now. Passing on the highway is much easier now, and since the throttle input is amplified, the transmission is MUCH quicker to downshift appropriately for you instead of hesitating and then not downshifting enough gears.

I was easily able to break into donuts in drive without brake torquing when normally I have to use manual mode, first gear, and brake torque. The throttle is so much more sensitive (in a good way) that I can stab the gas pedal halfway at 40mph (in drive, cruising) and the tranny will almost immediately downshift and rev from a lazy 1.5k rpm to a near roaring 4k rpm! And the best part is, if I depress the gas a tiny bit after stabbing it, I can catch the rpms and keep it there at 40mph, basically performing the smoothest downshift an automatic can pull off.

Anyway, I love the PBX and would recommend it to any and everyone with a naturally aspirated Bimmer. It turns your seemingly lazy and weak N52 into a responsive performance oriented motor like it should've come from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #345
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooy View Post
Anyway, I love the PBX and would recommend it to any and everyone with a naturally aspirated Bimmer. It turns your seemingly lazy and weak N52 into a responsive performance oriented motor like it should've come from the factory.
Couldn't agree more and this seems to be the general consensus from all my customers

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #346
panzerfaust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Although this thread is titled Power Box FTW!!, I would like to share my own somewhat negative opinion on the PBX.

I want to make clear this is all matter of personal preference but I was not impressed by the throttle input remap when I had the PBX. I had my own initial complaints about the dead zone in the throttle when I first got the car, but over time I think I adapted with a heavier foot, and actually appreciate how much I need to depress the throttle.

Here are my observations:

If the dead spot is your complaint, then the PBX definitely gets rid of that for you.

I definitely prefer the standard throttle response since it allows you to better control your input, the more sensitive PBX remap makes the thottle too responsive IMO and actually reminds me of the throttle on Toyotas I've driven before (Corolla, Rav4).

The worst thing about the PBX for me is the new "dead" space left in the later end of the throttle. Initially, the car feels more powerful because of the sensitive throttle (since the car jumps more at light inputs), but now when you want to go WOT, the car stops adding more gas before you floor it or click the "button." (i.e. WOT on Map 3 is only half the throttle, the last half is now empty space. Maybe a personal perference, but I like to "floor" the throttle, not just depress halfway when taking the car to the limit.

In terms of the performance tuning, I did notice the car felt slightly floatier and less planted on Map 6-perhaps due to the extra bit of hp? Maybe I didn't let the ECU adapt to the performance tune, but there wasn't much of an impact (I understand that it's not easy to feel a 8-10hp difference).

As a disclaimer, I did not have any bolt on mods when I initially got my PBX, and now I'm getting the Performance PE and maybe AFE Stage 2 Intake, and am reconsidering a tune! Any opinions on how PBX, AA, Gintani stack up against each other in this instance? If there isn't any noticeable difference between the three, which is my sense, I might just go for the cheapest option - PBX again!

If you like your PBX or throttle remap, then good for you and no one can take that away from you-these are just my sentiments; to each his own.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #347
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust View Post
Although this thread is titled Power Box FTW!!, I would like to share my own somewhat negative opinion on the PBX.

I want to make clear this is all matter of personal preference but I was not impressed by the throttle input remap when I had the PBX. I had my own initial complaints about the dead zone in the throttle when I first got the car, but over time I think I adapted with a heavier foot, and actually appreciate how much I need to depress the throttle.

If the dead spot is your complaint, then the PBX definitely gets rid of that for you.

I definitely prefer the standard throttle response since it allows you to better control your input, the more sensitive PBX remap makes the thottle too responsive IMO and actually reminds me of the throttle on Toyotas I've driven before (Corolla, Rav4).

The worst thing about the PBX for me is the new "dead" space left in the later end of the throttle. Initially, the car feels more powerful because of the sensitive throttle (since the car jumps more at light inputs), but now when you want to go WOT, the car stops adding more gas before you floor it or click the "button." (i.e. WOT on Map 3 is only half the throttle, the last half is now empty space. Maybe a personal perference, but I like to "floor" the throttle, not just depress halfway when taking the car to the limit.

In terms of the performance tuning, I did notice the car felt slightly floatier and less planted on Map 6-perhaps due to the extra bit of hp? Maybe I didn't let the ECU adapt to the performance tune, but there wasn't much of an impact (I understand that it's not easy to feel a 8-10hp difference).

As a disclaimer, I did not have any bolt on mods when I initially got my PBX, and now I'm getting the Performance PE and maybe AFE Stage 2 Intake, and am reconsidering a tune! Any opinions on how PBX, AA, Gintani stack up against each other in this instance? If there isn't any noticeable difference between the three, which is my sense, I might just go for the cheapest option - PBX again!

If you like your PBX or throttle remap, then good for you and no one can take that away from you-these are just my sentiments; to each his own.
Active Autowerk tune addresses this. It keeps on pulling. AA FTW.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #348
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the review, even though its negative. Always good to hear all feedback. Just wondering if you tried all the throttle remap settings. I have to be honest and say you are one of the first people to not like the throttle remap aspect of the tune. Usually its the first thing people like about it. I have had a few not like 100% throttle remap but really liked the 60% remap, so it all depends on personal choice I guess.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #349
panzerfaust
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Thanks for the review, even though its negative. Always good to hear all feedback. Just wondering if you tried all the throttle remap settings. I have to be honest and say you are one of the first people to not like the throttle remap aspect of the tune. Usually its the first thing people like about it. I have had a few not like 100% throttle remap but really liked the 60% remap, so it all depends on personal choice I guess.

Mike
Mike-

I did try all the remap settings, and if I was forced to choose from the three, it would be 30%. Stock is still better for me-I guess I just like the control and physically flooring the throttle for WOT.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #350
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post

Mike
Mike-

I did try all the remap settings, and if I was forced to choose from the three, it would be 30%. Stock is still better for me-I guess I just like the control and physically flooring the throttle for WOT.
Did the bolt ons help? Sounded to me they did not else you would not want a tune again?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #351
LLinxuS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro

Garage List
2007 328i e90  [9.28]
not sure if this has already been addressed, but just a question. Are these two one in the same thing with PBX on map 3?

1) Flooring the pedal all the way down until it clicks
2) Putting the pedal about half way down, but it seems to go to redline or about the same high rpms

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #352
panzerfaust
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinxuS View Post
not sure if this has already been addressed, but just a question. Are these two one in the same thing with PBX on map 3?

1) Flooring the pedal all the way down until it clicks
2) Putting the pedal about half way down, but it seems to go to redline or about the same high rpms

thanks
Yes these two are the same in my experience.

Also, I do not have those bolt on yet, waiting for my PE to come in so I can install. I'm only interested about tuning now b/c I've heard that tuning can make a larger impact with bolt-ons! (I.e. Maybe pbx can create an additional 12-15 hp with intake/exhaust when it only made 8-10)...supposedly at least.