E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?

02-23-2009, 02:19 PM   #3873
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddai View Post
While I hope it's just my fuel pump, I severely doubt it. As far as I'm concerned, the fact that BMW gave me a cash settlement in compensation for turbo lag on an MSD81 equipped car (they have my VIN, obviously) should be enough information for anyone.

I still have yet to meet up with the MSD80 never-been-flashed 335i in my neighborhood... I do expect to be disappointed, unfortunately.

As for the update, should you get it? That depends on whether or not you expect it to fix anything. If yes, then go ahead. Will it fix any lag you have? Doubtful, but it might make a small difference. My car was hellbound on driving me insane the first few days (especially intermixed with long cranks). I think it's settled pretty good, but it is still not like what BMW advertises.
That is odd because long cranks is a sign of a failing fuel pump. This happened to me within the first month after delivery, and the pump needed a new replacement to resolve the problem. I'll note that when the pump failed, the lag was astronomical.

Did you ever get a chance to compare with that MSD80 never-been-flashed 335i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tschuss View Post
iScream - with a manual trans it's easy to tell if you have the lag free update. Nothing subtle about it. Do the test where you're in second gear going 2,000 rpm - floor it. If you get linear power - you're set. If you get a huge boost of power toward 2800-3000, you're laggin'.
-B
A bit confused now. I have MSD81 w/29.2, and the power seems linear at WOT from 2K rpm in 2nd gear. The boost of power is gradual and smooth through 2800-3000, but it is lacking at 2000 to begin with.

Quote:
To answer your question the "2800 rpm whoosh" was (in my case) 29.2 behavior.
Maybe this applies only to 29.2 with MSD80? I'm now wondering if the lag is manifested differently in MSD81 as opposed to MSD80.

Or I'm crazy and there really isn't any lag in 29.2 with MSD81, as BMW says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed_Addict View Post
It is hard to beleive that those of us with MSD81 are being somewhat left out in the cold here. I know my car is not what it was when I did my ED at the end of April last year. Meyergru relayed to me that he was relatively certain that ED cars do get reprogrammed when they pass through VPC at the port. I have just been disapointed the quick response I experienced on the trip apears to be neutered but the claim is there is not problem with MSD81 cars. I just don't quite buy it. ...
I feel left in the cold as well...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #3874
shaddai
former N54 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Audi S4 DTM

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
That is odd because long cranks is a sign of a failing fuel pump. This happened to me within the first month after delivery, and the pump needed a new replacement to resolve the problem. I'll note that when the pump failed, the lag was astronomical.

Did you ever get a chance to compare with that MSD80 never-been-flashed 335i?
The car hasn't been long cranking lately. Once in the last week or two. I do have a rough idle on cold start that almost sounds like it's "missing" or something... irritating.

I have not yet had a chance to compare with the MSD80. Our schedules have not coincided yet. I need to ping him again...

On a side note, my lag is definitely still there. I was even able to reproduce the 1 second really-bad-lag the other day. It's not frequently like that, but it's not "completely eliminated".
      02-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #3875
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
The car hasn't been long cranking lately. Once in the last week or two. I do have a rough idle on cold start that almost sounds like it's "missing" or something... irritating.

I have not yet had a chance to compare with the MSD80. Our schedules have not coincided yet. I need to ping him again...

On a side note, my lag is definitely still there. I was even able to reproduce the 1 second really-bad-lag the other day. It's not frequently like that, but it's not "completely eliminated".
There really shouldn't be any long cranking whatsoever--at least according to my SA. I feel it's possible your fuel pump is going bad or simply not running at full capacity, which could be responsible for the lag that you're experiencing.

I guess I'm hoping it's the fuel pump at fault, not the v32.1 software.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #3876
Tschuss
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
.............A bit confused now. I have MSD81 w/29.2, and the power seems linear at WOT from 2K rpm in 2nd gear. The boost of power is gradual and smooth through 2800-3000, but it is lacking at 2000 to begin with....
Huh? your power is lacking at 2000 and what else? Lacking power everywhere?

Based on
1. the MSD81 cars I've driven and
2. the BMW claim that MSD81 cars are not upgradable and
3. your descriptions in prior posts

Your car has lag. As to why BMW has dug their heels in with respect to MSD81 cars seems to be less about technology and more about stubborn, stupid, Teutonic policy.

I hope there's relief soon for the MSD81 owners out there.

-B
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #3877
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Huh? your power is lacking at 2000 and what else? Lacking power everywhere?

Based on
1. the MSD81 cars I've driven and
2. the BMW claim that MSD81 cars are not upgradable and
3. your descriptions in prior posts

Your car has lag. As to why BMW has dug their heels in with respect to MSD81 cars seems to be less about technology and more about stubborn, stupid, Teutonic policy.

I hope there's relief soon for the MSD81 owners out there.

-B
Power is lacking at 2000 and below, but not everywhere else. Most importantly, there's no apparent "huge boost of power toward 2800-3000" as you described. It's a very linear increase in power from 2K. Based solely on the earlier statement of yours, I'm set and have no lag...thus my confusion.

I agree with your statement regarding BMW's stance, and I hope there's relief likewise, or at least a clear answer.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #3878
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Shaddai, When you say it is not frequently like that, do you mean that the lag comes and goes, and it is not always present? Thats something new isnt it? I thought if it was there it was there all the time, is this since they "fixed" your car or was it always sporadic?
      02-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #3879
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
^ The nature of the lag coming and going is another reason why I think it's related to the fuel pump and not the software. From what I understand, technically, the presence (or absence) of lag should be constant.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #3880
shaddai
former N54 owner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
Shaddai, When you say it is not frequently like that, do you mean that the lag comes and goes, and it is not always present? Thats something new isnt it? I thought if it was there it was there all the time, is this since they "fixed" your car or was it always sporadic?
it seems to come and go, but never does it go far away . This behavior is somewhat new, most likely consistent with the long crankage. It was never sporadic before, always there in the darkness, haunting me. Well, maybe not in the dark. I take it back, there were a few days where the car just sucked ass. They were warm days, in particular. I forget who posted the "owned by a Smart" but I had nearly the same exact situation.

Quote:
^ The nature of the lag coming and going is another reason why I think it's related to the fuel pump and not the software. From what I understand, technically, the presence (or absence) of lag should be constant.
Again, that's what I'm hoping... rare that I'm hoping for something to fail, considering last time the car was at the dealer they couldn't replicate the issue, nor did it throw a damn code (should have... maybe they reprogrammed before checking for codes). I needs me one of those Bavarian Tech things. Or someone in the Bay Area (California) who has one...
      02-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #3881
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

CAN WE STAY ON TOPIC???

it is a well-known fact, turbo lag is in no way related to HPFP failure - different symptoms, different solutions

thanks
      02-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #3882
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Excuse me, but this is on topic. Shaddai is very knowledgeable about this matter and there is some question as to whether or not this is related to him recently getting his software updated or his fuel pump on its way out.
There is also the possibility that getting the software fix for the turbo lag, which gives back the wastegate noise, could also lead to the fuel pump failing sooner.
With those in mind I consider that related.
And the topic "has anyone contacted BMW ...." Shaddai has contacted BMW many, many,(too fricking many) times. He has gotten farther than most with BMW.
      02-23-2009, 11:49 PM   #3883
Bullitt
Major
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Excuse me, but this is on topic. Shaddai is very knowledgeable about this matter and there is some question as to whether or not this is related to him recently getting his software updated or his fuel pump on its way out.
There is also the possibility that getting the software fix for the turbo lag, which gives back the wastegate noise, could also lead to the fuel pump failing sooner. With those in mind I consider that related.
And the topic "has anyone contacted BMW ...." Shaddai has contacted BMW many, many,(too fricking many) times. He has gotten farther than most with BMW.
!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #3884
munu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Msports

E89x-06-09-540

Can anybody please tell me which version is this E89X-06-09-540.

My HPFP went bad so I took it to the dealer to fix the fuel pump and also fix the turbo lag issue which I am having since I got 30.0.2.

I just picked the car. Paperwork says above software was added. Service advisor was in meeting so nobody could tell me if it is V32.1 version which fixed the lag.

I didn't see any difference in the exhaust note. Car is feeling little better but I couldn't test it as I had to rush to work.

I have a 335i e90 (10/06 build).

Update: As I am reading the comment again, here is what Technicial wrote for my HPFP.

"FOUND SIB 12 55 06. Check Vehincle intergration level. E89X-06-09-540. Needs to be programmed".

So I am not sure whether he found this on my car or that is what he put it on.

Can somebody confirm is the 32.1 for tunbo lag is E89X-08-03-530 (or higher). I have to take the actual number to them so that they know what they are doing

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #3885
citrixscu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 335i EB II

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #3886
**335i**
Colonel
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: TOYOTA & 2008 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2008 335i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by munu View Post

My HPFP went bad so I took it to the dealer to fix the fuel pump and also fix the turbo lag issue which I am having since I got 30.0.2.

I just picked the car. Paperwork says above software was added. Service advisor was in meeting so nobody could tell me if it is V32.1 version which fixed the lag.

I didn't see any difference in the exhaust note. Car is feeling little better but I couldn't test it as I had to rush to work.

Update: As I am reading the comment again, here is what Technicial wrote for my HPFP.

"FOUND SIB 12 55 06. Check Vehincle intergration level. E89X-06-09-540. Needs to be programmed".

Can somebody confirm is the 32.1 for tunbo lag is E89X-08-03-530 (or higher). I have to take the actual number to them so that they know what they are doing

Thanks

check here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...32&postcount=7
E92 335i Black Saphire 6MT PROcede V5, BMS DCI, Big Tom IC, AR CL-DP's 3", AR Design OC, Forge DV's, OEM M3 side skirts, BMW Performance Wheels 19 inch 269 Black Gloss+Continental ContiSportContact 5P (400hp and 550nm) https://www.youtube.com/user/aistis7..._as=subscriber
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #3887
shaddai
former N54 owner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
There is also the possibility that getting the software fix for the turbo lag, which gives back the wastegate noise, could also lead to the fuel pump failing sooner.
With those in mind I consider that related.
Thanks man. Just trying to help out those who helped me. And I'm not sure how I ended up getting as far with BMW as I did, especially compared to the rest of you. I know of only one other person who has received some kind of compensation for this issue... really makes me wonder. (Hi, BMW)

To bmrm396, it's not a fact that the HPFP has nothing to do with turbo lag. It's not a fact that it does, either, but others have reported failing HPFP's giving off lag before they perish. It wasn't so with my first fuel pump (see the red X in my signature), but that doesn't mean it's a fact. This lag issue is complicated enough to warrant speculation and claims and "it's a fact" statement, many in the wrong direction. BMW has clearly screwed up, and screwed their customers over in the process. We know this...
      02-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #3888
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man. Just trying to help out those who helped me. And I'm not sure how I ended up getting as far with BMW as I did, especially compared to the rest of you. I know of only one other person who has received some kind of compensation for this issue... really makes me wonder. (Hi, BMW)

To bmrm396, it's not a fact that the HPFP has nothing to do with turbo lag. It's not a fact that it does, either, but others have reported failing HPFP's giving off lag before they perish. It wasn't so with my first fuel pump (see the red X in my signature), but that doesn't mean it's a fact. This lag issue is complicated enough to warrant speculation and claims and "it's a fact" statement, many in the wrong direction. BMW has clearly screwed up, and screwed their customers over in the process. We know this...

ok, i completely agree with what ur sayin here - i must be a unique case - never had a HPFP go out, im a 9/07 build 14000mi, and was recently updated last week with 32.1 (there seems to be confusion about the rattle that i dont understand, people w the wastegate conversion and people without it are both reporting rattle). i have the conversion and the car is flawless - as much pre-29.2 as i can remember. so i am beginning to agree that it is dependent upon MSD80 or 81. i dont know how that can be confirmed, or even if it can.

i apologize for lashing out earlier, but in my belief i dont find 32.1 to be in anyway related to HPFP failure - i believe it is strictly related to production date, once a problem, subsequently fixed for most, and most likely and unrelated issue
      02-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #3889
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks

YES - per the Feb SIB 11 13 07, E89X-08-03-530 or higher is achieved using ISTA/P 32.1 --- the stats in the link above are inaccurate, this is the official BMW Roundtable Bulletin --- http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B111307g.htm

The above note by ur technician probably means ur car needed to be programmed after he performed the SIB 12 55 06 instructions
      02-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #3890
munu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Msports

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrm396 View Post
YES - per the Feb SIB 11 13 07, E89X-08-03-530 or higher is achieved using ISTA/P 32.1 --- the stats in the link above are inaccurate, this is the official BMW Roundtable Bulletin --- http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B111307g.htm

The above note by ur technician probably means ur car needed to be programmed after he performed the SIB 12 55 06 instructions
I just confirmed that they installed E89X-08-09-530. So based on other post looks like I am on V32.1. Not sure if they did the lag fix tweak or not. I told them about it but SA didn't write anything in the invoice.

I didn't see any big difference in the exhause note. Lag is better then before but not like pre 29.2. Is there any way to check if lag fix tweak was applied to the car. Can this be added later on
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #3891
Quisp
United_States
Rep

It seems that some installs of the new software dont always work on the first time(perhaps working out the bugs of the new system). There is several people trying to determine how to verify whether they got lag fix or "wastegate valve conversion" since it isnt always noted on work orders.
I have seen it posted that the fix can be done at a later time.
      02-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #3892
borisivan
craptastic
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Quote:
Where does one find that string? (E89X-06-09-540)? I've accessed the idrive secret menu, etc, and don't see where you are all getting that string from.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 11:42 PM   #3893
citrixscu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's the target data status. You cannot get it from the car itself. Some dealers can read the key and get the status (never showed up on my key printout); else, the car needs to be hooked up to a diag machine. The best one can do is get the FSV from iDrive hidden menu and work backwards from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 11:57 PM   #3894
citrixscu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just confirmed that they installed E89X-08-09-530. So based on other post looks like I am on V32.1. Not sure if they did the lag fix tweak or not. I told them about it but SA didn't write anything in the invoice.

I didn't see any big difference in the exhause note. Lag is better then before but not like pre 29.2. Is there any way to check if lag fix tweak was applied to the car. Can this be added later on
You should be able to tell if you got the wastegate conversion fairly easily. Do you have 6MT? Put it into 1st, push the clutch and gently modulate the throttle--you should hear !clank clank clank! Mine is loud as all hell and almost embarrassing. Otherwise, try to drive with your passenger window down next to a cement wall while accelerating from 1st -> 2nd. If you don't hear clanks, you probably didn't get the conversion. The wastegate conversion is applied *after* the car is flashed to >= 32.1.

note: this is for MSD80 cars with problematic actuators. If you don't have that, you may need to use the butt dyno or take it back to BMW and have them verify.
Appreciate 0