E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > DPF Delete

01-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #375
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
To toss my 2 cents in, Im glad there is a all inclusive package coming here. There aren't that many tuned D's running around so I can see Ecotunes point of view.

Fear not Axel, I bet soon some knock off pipes will be available for even cheaper on ebay once these get released anyways. Me personally Ill prob buy this complete setup depending on what the tune offers.

Speaking of the tune, will we see EGR delete and SCR/DEF delete as well? Those DEF tanks don't seem to be cheap but do seem to go bad often.
A guy near me removes all of this along with the DPF so it should be possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #376
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
A guy near me removes all of this along with the DPF so it should be possible.
I know its possible. I wonder if Eco tune will include it in there program. So far, I have no idea what the tune will do besides add power and tune out the dpf. Would like to know more about it as its the only viable dpf delete "kit" right now.

Sure I could get a tune from someone and have a custom pipe made but I would prefer a more refined option for my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #377
dzlmoose
Lieutenant
Egypt
Rep
Drives: Trek 7.2, 2001 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Axel, with all do respect I think you may have escalated this situation too hastily. I hope I can share a couple points.

1. Ecotune is a business and like any business they are free to setup sales practices that make sense for them. Personally I agree with their approach. The DFP delete is not just a simple under the hood part swap. Rather it is a complex system reconfiguration. As I'm sure you know, a DPF delete changes the exhaust pressures and also no longer requires the post-injection for DPF regen. As such, I am sure Ecotune is only selling their pipe with their tune so they can insure all the proper coding is done to adapt the system correctly to code out all elements of the DPF and all risk for continued post injection or check engine lights. If anything, to me their combined offering shows an element of thoroughness and complete system engineering.

2. Ecotune really is doing us a favor here. From a numbers perspective there is very little profit to be had in the US market. Only about ~10,000 335ds were sent to North America. Typically only about 1% to 2% of owners are enthusiasts that will mod their vehicle. That means only 100 to 200 of us are potential customers for Ecotune and even then, some of us may shop other outfits. If you were a business owner, would you spend money, time, effort researching and developing a solution for such a small market with even smaller likelihood of revenues?

To me, the last thing we want to do is to turn off a manufacturer to our market that is working on solutions we have been requesting.
+1 Well said.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #378
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
I know its possible. I wonder if Eco tune will include it in there program. So far, I have no idea what the tune will do besides add power and tune out the dpf. Would like to know more about it as its the only viable dpf delete "kit" right now.

Sure I could get a tune from someone and have a custom pipe made but I would prefer a more refined option for my car.
@Axel, I believe TDI had his ECU work done at Redline Speedworx in NJ, an affiliate of Ecotune. Another poster asked if all they do is DFP delete or what. I believe TDI got DFP and EGR delete in his flash. I recall the first time that the EGR delete was not quite to TDI's liking (perhaps my words are strong there) but he had things tweaked again and back to him fairly quick. 2nd round he was happier. He only shipped his DPF overseas and ECU stayed stateside
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 05:31 PM   #379
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Quote:

Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #380
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
...I believe TDI got DFP and EGR delete in his flash. I recall the first time that the EGR delete was not quite to TDI's liking (perhaps my words are strong there) but he had things tweaked again and back to him fairly quick. 2nd round he was happier. He only shipped his DPF overseas and ECU stayed stateside
Yes. No overseas shipping of ECU. DPF did go overseas. DPF, SCR and EGR are gone. Although the EGR required some physical alterations to get it 100% off...

There's a lot of strong feelings going around here. Please, everybody, let's take a breath...

Mark M, thanks for posting that. Well said.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:08 PM   #381
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Someone deleted a post I made
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 03:28 AM   #382
Havana
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 N52 - Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotuneuk View Post
You mean this link?

http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/pr...oval_Downpipe_

If you click through you will see in bright red bold print our stance.

I will respond in more detail to the other questions between now and tomorrow :-)

Thanks again folks,

Stan
Yes I read that, and you've stated that in this thread already.
I agree that for most customers that have basic mods the package deal makes sense, and it ensures everything runs as designed by yourselves, but there will always be demand for individual parts.

My point was that they are available separate in Europe but not outside of Europe. It just seemed strange, especially after reading your reasons for only supplying it as a package. What's the reason behind that, other than maybe some people already have one of the tuning modules?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 05:04 AM   #383
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Phased Neutron a VALID point STAN. Stan I do understand that your trying to reap your costs of R&D and manufacturing but be aware that some of us would LOVE to have your product but as an individual item.

I want to explain this to some that do and dont understand me, Yes I am a RENNtech customer, STAN and his crew have done a marvelous item for us and I COMMEND him and TDi for going forward. As far as I am concerned i live on an island where some rules of engagement(racing goes) are non existent in some ways for me to ahev this piece it would put almost at par with a NON modified GTR(maybe).

As most of you know me well. I have slightly modded my car. I appreciate STAN trying to save us from the destroying our TURBOS or whatever, but , when you buy an aftermarket part what you are looking at is what can it do for you then you look out for what can I faulk up with it. Yes, it would be totally IGNORANT to place this item w/o proper tuning, in this case some of us do have our tuners all we want is the pipe. No, we donot descredit ECOTUNE its unethical and not professional.

I am a person of my word. Yes, I want the 5 year warranty on quality and 2 yr flex part. But, I know what Im getting and i know the consequences. that is why Lenny will fly to PR and we will test this product at my local.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #384
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
MarkM summed it up most effectively, thus I won't just repeat everything he said (although I'd like to)

PR, i will try to offer a different perspective from which you could view the deal: Just consider it a price increase for those who would like to use an alternative tuner. There's nothing to say you can't buy the whole package then go elsewhere for a retune if you should so desire. Keep in mind that software sales cover the initial costs of R&D & the continued costs of liabilities, operation, etc, so you could just consider it a heftier gross margin that needs to be obtained on a newly developed product. Thinking of it this way, the programming is free with the purchase of a dowpipe, amigo.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 05:55 AM   #385
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

I see your point then what your trying to say is BUY the product package deal and have RENNtech figure it out, sounds great but not so great. Heres what PHASED NEUTRON had to say on this:

"My point was that they are available separate in Europe but not outside of Europe. It just seemed strange, especially after reading your reasons for only supplying it as a package. What's the reason behind that, other than maybe some people already have one of the tuning modules?"

ok then would we still have to send the ECU to NJ? Yes, cause according to Stan it would fall under liability issues , Correct me on this Stan. Gracias
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #386
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Stan I believe youre not upsetting us or me(anymore) but your website is as it is( as Phased Neutron metioned above), you sell a product individually in Europe and then turn around and give us the pkg deal which is GREAT for those who want your programming but for some of us its not viable. I respect your stance but this blog i created will keep on going unfortunately.

Its unfortunate you come to speak to us under these terms, where were you beforehand? as i see you are an Enlisted Member. if would of been nice if you appeared earlier for some of us. And this would of retracted some of us of questioning your criterias. Im a business man myself but my practices are different scale as yours not to put any PUN on you.

I also know you have a great product(otherwise you wouldnt promote it) but I as well as others will question the audacity of it. Yes, you have a car in the U.S. that has been configured but you have not come forward about it.This my friend questions the authenticity. Although we all beleive your product is superb we have yet to see U.S. results. Please for our sake post dyno charts from the U.S. vehicle that has your downpipe and ECU programming on the U.S. version DDE. Gracias

Last edited by Puerto Rican 335d; 01-17-2014 at 08:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #387
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

LOL you have a nice weekend Stan I have a 3 day Hoilday weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:39 AM   #388
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately I cannot keep repeating our position on this. I understand that some customers will be disappointed, it is not our intention to upset anyone but our decision on this is final.

We really look forward to being of assistance to those interested in our kit and hearing the feedback from those who install it.

Kindest regards,

Stan
I'm one of those needing further assistance. I want to start this transaction please. I wrote an inquiry to your site but haven't seen a response. I understand the part is not completely finalized yet. I would like to be in the first batch of customers if this is possible. As expressed earlier in this thread, I'm fine with doing the package purchase. I want the EGR function deleted as well.

Can you please either PM to me or write to my personal email (markflahaut@aol.com) concerning the particulars such as ECU removal, mailing to where/who, paying where/who, etc.? My vehicle is 2011 335D, Msport, last 7 of VIN is A948901.

I have done no modding on my vehicle other than non runflats and cleaning of the EGR valve. I have saved my mod money to do the top priority first. Wagner intercooler, Quaife LSD, M3 suspension are down the list later but wellfare of engine comes FIRST. Can we please get started on the terms of business?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:47 AM   #389
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

Would the purchase of the package mandate the installation of the software?
Lets say I get the whole package, but choose to install the hardware only and have a different tuner take care of the software.
Would that be ok?

If I already have a tune on my car, would the DPF delete software interfere with the flash I already have?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #390
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Why is it that in EU there is this ugly "take it or leave it" attitude with clients?

Reading BB_cuda's post, I stand by my earlier statement regarding customer service in EU.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #391
2deerwhistlers
Banned
Rep

I have been waiting for a product such as Stan's to hit the market here in the states..as a diesel mechanic with a small business specializing in performance I stand behind Stan's decision with his product 100%... I've got a background of over 10 years in the performance diesel world of trucks. I work on diesels all day and then I go to my shop at home and work on diesels on nights and weekends.. I think it's great that he wants to sell his dpf delete as a package deal to keep the cars reliability. If renntech or another tuning company wants to put the effort into a dpf delete system I'm sure they would not sell the pipe separately from their tuning.. I've talked to them a few times and they told me they wouldn't make a more aggressive tune for me than the one that they currently have on the market. I even asked for a price on the tune and a charge air cooler which they never called me back about...sometimes people forget, not a huge deal.. But, I won't be calling back again.. My decision is made....Stan, you just let us know when your product is available! Also, from what I understand with ecotune you send the ECM to redline once and after that any revisions to the tune can be done with their iFlash device thru the obd II port at the comfort of your own home.. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #392
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

Dixy ur wasting your breath I already tried LOL

Stan whatever you posted in images of photobucket I cannot although I have app. Resend via other means gracias
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #393
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep

2deer its funny never that with them. Their answer to me was not enough Ds to merit a downpipe. But willing to use one aftermarket one to enhance the flash. I hv the aggresive RENNtech flash and they know me well its unfortunate we never came across otherwise I could of pull some strings for u sorry about ur situation
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #394
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
My apologies for the delay in responding to your enquiry and thank you for your interest in our development! We are currently upgrading our dynamometer, opening a second shop in Scotland and releasing a new website all at once. It is just taking a little longer to respond at present due to the many commitments. It is our intention to answer all queries regarding this development as best we can however we have not set a price point or completely finished our development. At this moment we are not taking any orders on this packaged product however, I promise to post pictures and data on as quickly as I can once we are completed.

Your choice of modifications are excellent and I have experience with them all, the intercooler works well and forms part of our stage 3 package

If there are a few interested parties we may even be able to offer a preferential purchase price on a group buy to the first ten clients, after all, we appreciate that volume purchases reduce our costs.
Thanks for the response, Stan.
I'm not trying to crowd out either of the originators of this US based 335D package, TDI and Axel. I would like to be added to that first 10 list though, if it happens. I have sent you a PM just prior to seeing this. So, I wasn't doubling up on you. Perhaps I spoke a little unclearly earlier but I do intend to get the Wagner FMIC and perhaps it would be good to account for that in the tune that you will be selling along with the pipe. I'm unsure if i would be going for the stage 3 tune though. I guess there is some time for me to think that through. I saw your reply to another fellow just immediately above and understand you need to set up more US based installers/tuners but i am not worried about coming to where the services will be offered. At worst, the mechanic work can be done local here in Houston and them mail the ECU to where you say to (New Jersey is only stateside place I know of).

'cuda
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #395
2deerwhistlers
Banned
Rep

What hard parts need to be changed for a stage 3 tune?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #396
2deerwhistlers
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecotuneuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2deerwhistlers View Post
What hard parts need to be changed for a stage 3 tune?
Both turbochargers, FMIC, DPF Delete, SCR Delete... ideally full exhaust system
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2deerwhistlers
Direct bolt on turbochargers or are we talking fancy?
Sorry I didn't see you said the downpipe flange was different..anything else?
Appreciate 0