E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DYNAVIN N6 Multimedia GPS System, New for 2015....OFFICIAL THREAD>>>>

10-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #375
jellish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Well, there goes the warranty into the toilet
Warranty? What's that?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #376
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeeDemoN View Post
Is it plug and play with all e9x?

I would seriously consider that if it is!
Yep it is plug and play. You lose the rest button which is useless and now there is an all button which I actually like.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #377
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroclast View Post
Warranty? What's that?
I like they way you think
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 01:17 AM   #378
Tomy_D1
Rep
Drives: E90

Defenitly intrested in custom MODs for N6!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #379
SpeeDemoN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Yep it is plug and play. You lose the rest button which is useless and now there is an all button which I actually like.
What does the All button do?

Also, on the back of the unit there are 3 places to plug in harnesses, the 2 on the stock climate control I understand, but what is the 3rd for?

Right now my heated seat panel plugs into it, but if the heated seats are integrated does anything need to be plugged in to that?

Edit: never mind I looked it up, the All button would be more useful to me!

Last edited by SpeeDemoN; 10-23-2014 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #380
SpeeDemoN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Purchased! Awesome tip thanks bmw325i!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #381
Bullitt1841
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 B58

Quote:
Doh. Don't know how I missed that. Anyway I'm all set now!

I'll be hacking the WinCE tonight to put some custom apps on it now!
The only thing keeping me from buying this unit is that it is not Android
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #382
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feshdogg View Post
The only thing keeping me from buying this unit is that it is not Android
Expect to keep waiting.

Haven't seen a good implementation of Android in a head unit yet. Parrot might be the better one, but if you care about Android, you'd know that (at least the last one I looked at) they all run long out of date versions of Android. (Think the Parrot one ran 2.3?)

Car Audio tech is a long ways behind Android, so most of the stuff you'd care about won't work well. Even if you could root and install something more custom onto the head unit, most screen resolutions are too small to allow newer apps to display appropriately.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 09:44 AM   #383
Bullitt1841
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 B58

Not entirely true. I just installed a universal double din into my other car and it's running Android 4.2.2. It runs Torque, Waze, etc. I am actually quite impressed with everything. The only thing that's keeping me from buying THAT one is my Logic 7 and MOST issue.

Don't mean to thread jack, but search Pumpkin Cool on eBay for the universal one I bought.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #384
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeeDemoN View Post
What does the All button do?

Also, on the back of the unit there are 3 places to plug in harnesses, the 2 on the stock climate control I understand, but what is the 3rd for?

Right now my heated seat panel plugs into it, but if the heated seats are integrated does anything need to be plugged in to that?

Edit: never mind I looked it up, the All button would be more useful to me!
I actually bought one of these long before I changed my headunit, because I knew I would need it, so I had my heated seat panel plugged into it and both sets of buttons worked. The whole point is you don't need the extra buttons anymore though.

Yeah the all button is more useful it adjusts the passengers side to match the drivers side.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #385
SpeeDemoN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
I actually bought one of these long before I changed my headunit, because I knew I would need it, so I had my heated seat panel plugged into it and both sets of buttons worked. The whole point is you don't need the extra buttons anymore though.

Yeah the all button is more useful it adjusts the passengers side to match the drivers side.

Yeah thanks for the tip I ordered one and it's on the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #386
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Warranty? What's that?

Ill just have to pretend I didnt see this page....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 04:05 AM   #387
vasman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d (E92)

GPS Issue Resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasman
ok some update for anyone that is interested on my GPS issue

Car Vision that I purchased the unit have been very supportive and their response is always great. The feedback from Dynavin is that there are 11 GPS issues cases reported out of the 3k sold and it seems that they recognise the issue and will be sending out some GPS antennas from other vendors to try out.

Hopefully, next wknd we will know if this is a GPS antenna issue or we will need to replace the HU also. I asked for a standby HU if the antenna swap does not fix the issue

will keep you updated after the issue is resolved
Finally some good update from my side. My GPS issue is now resolved and I believe that this was the same issue that 1QuikWS6 had and he had to replace his HU.

So a quick heads up for anyone that faces it or might face it in the near future. It was not the GPS antenna or the HU that had the issue. The problem is the small fly RF lead that connects the HU antenna input GPS to the GPS PCB RF input. The GPS PCB has a tiny RF connector that is not well fixed and vibrations can damage it. The RF fly lead seems to be of low quality also. Photo of this lead and problematic connector are attached.

We replaced it with a more robust cable (from drive audio) and glued the PCB RF input connector so as not to move with vibrations and GPS works great now!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by vasman; 10-26-2014 at 04:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 11:59 AM   #388
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
And THAT is a prime example why you SHOULD care about the warranty, & not void it in any way

(2) separate cases of same problem - in my case the HU was replaced entirely, free of charge by Jeff, in the other (Sold in another country & not by Jeff) the problem was fixed - both for free.

I'm entirely satisfied on how my issue was resolved. I realize these are made by humans & crap happens (had electronics much more expensive than the N6 from well known mfg. that had problems). I'm not about to void any warranty & be stuck with a $700 unit that is not entirely functional...

I see no need to give the mfg. a reason to question whether any problem with the unit is due to my messing around, or to claim any problem is due to my messing around

But of course, you can do what you want - it's your $$
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #389
F30RiK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' 335 xdrive M-sport 6 Speed

I have an 2006 330I, the controls for heated seats are right under the climate control on a separate module, how can I Relocate it like most of you inside the kind of ashtray?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #390
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikrikrik View Post
I have an 2006 330I, the controls for heated seats are right under the climate control on a separate module, how can I Relocate it like most of you inside the kind of ashtray?
Either use the Metra #98-9306 Heated Seat Relo Kit with Pocket:

-OR-

You can find ashtray relo kits on eBay:

Found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-008-Reloca...item417d4ab817

I can't vouch for the quality or fitment of the eBay unit, but the Metra fits perfectly & also includes longer ribbon cable to reach from relocated seat buttons in console trim back up to HVAC unit in dash.

You can see the Metra kit actually installed in Jeff's car a couple posts back:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=354
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 10-27-2014 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:17 AM   #391
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Great thread! Very interesting product - just wish it had been around a year or two ago! I'm very tempted but I'm not sure it's worth the effort with a nearly 6 year old car.....it would be a fun weekend project though.

Two areas of question:

1. Does the camera superimpose the lines and the Dynavin add the steering angle sensor curve + pdc info if applicable? I noticed there are couple different types of "grids" in user picts which I assume are because people are using different cameras. Is there a preferred camera or are most of the cameras generally the same?

2. How's the nav generally as far as adding a list of favorites, custom poi's, etc. The manual linked on Dynavin's site looks kind of generic, talks about searching an address and adding it as a favorite but what about an address that isn't in the database? Businesses change all the time.

It talks about using Google search if you have an internet connection, etc. Does that work? Also, I'm used to a Garmin which has tons of POI files available for everything you can think of and was wondering something similar is possible.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #392
jellish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
And THAT is a prime example why you SHOULD care about the warranty, & not void it in any way

(2) separate cases of same problem - in my case the HU was replaced entirely, free of charge by Jeff, in the other (Sold in another country & not by Jeff) the problem was fixed - both for free.

I'm entirely satisfied on how my issue was resolved. I realize these are made by humans & crap happens (had electronics much more expensive than the N6 from well known mfg. that had problems). I'm not about to void any warranty & be stuck with a $700 unit that is not entirely functional...

I see no need to give the mfg. a reason to question whether any problem with the unit is due to my messing around, or to claim any problem is due to my messing around

But of course, you can do what you want - it's your $$
That's a simple fix of a U.FL antenna connector, but I understand your point. I do a combo of electrical, mechanical and software engineering all day so I usually just fix things myself. As far as a mod to WinCE voiding your warranty, I suppose that is certainly possible. But you could always reflash it to the stock WinCE to fix any problems there related to something that actually WOULD need a warranty fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #393
jellish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
Great thread! Very interesting product - just wish it had been around a year or two ago! I'm very tempted but I'm not sure it's worth the effort with a nearly 6 year old car.....it would be a fun weekend project though.

Two areas of question:

1. Does the camera superimpose the lines and the Dynavin add the steering angle sensor curve + pdc info if applicable? I noticed there are couple different types of "grids" in user picts which I assume are because people are using different cameras. Is there a preferred camera or are most of the cameras generally the same?

2. How's the nav generally as far as adding a list of favorites, custom poi's, etc. The manual linked on Dynavin's site looks kind of generic, talks about searching an address and adding it as a favorite but what about an address that isn't in the database? Businesses change all the time.

It talks about using Google search if you have an internet connection, etc. Does that work? Also, I'm used to a Garmin which has tons of POI files available for everything you can think of and was wondering something similar is possible.
My car is a 2008 and I love it. People who ride with me think it's awesome and everyone so far thinks it's stock, until I tell them otherwise.

1) The camera puts the "distance" grid on there, and the dynavin overlays the steering curves. I used the BK1 sold by Jeff and it works well, although it's just a generic camera so a bit of a PITA. I had to end up powering it off a relay since the reverse lights don't provide enough power on my car, and this was nowhere in the instructions. I only found it out after a few hours with my probes and googling for similar experiences.
2) The nav is pretty decent. I wouldn't say it's as good as google nav on android for sure since it doesn't have an internet connection, but you can download updates for it from their website. It's pretty up to date though.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2014, 12:27 AM   #394
jellish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got the new HVAC in and installed. Took an hour or two to convert the billion LEDs in it to blue, but all done and now no more cheesy ashtray.

View post on imgur.com
      10-28-2014, 02:18 AM   #395
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Got the new HVAC in and installed. Took an hour or two to convert the billion LEDs in it to blue, but all done and now no more cheesy ashtray.

View post on imgur.com
Looks good

I'm in the process of changing all the LED's over in my car to Blue - kept the Green indicators in some cases though.

Have the HVAC center LCD in Blue/White as yours to match my ///M Gages center LCD, Start Button in Red

I doing something never seen before as far as my heated seat buttons & shift indicator
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #396
SpeeDemoN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got my climate control unit installed as well, now it looks much better!

Appreciate 0