E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Got a call from BMWNA, oil cooler retrofit!

10-26-2007, 10:14 AM   #397
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

I am very lucky to be married to a very good lawyer (insert lawyer joke here). When I received my "release" for my oil cooler I had my wife read it and give me her opinion on it. If she would of told me not to sign it I would of never signed it. She handed me a pen and said "sign away". She had no problem with it and she said that people read way to much into what the release says.

I got the oil cooler and IM very happy with the way BMWNA handled my situation.

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #398
njemoore
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

By your post you have breached the very agreement you signed.

"Customer agrees to keep confidential, the existence and terms of the Agreement."
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 11:25 AM   #399
Ruff Rider
"posting from my recliner"
United_States
Rep
Drives: twin turbo Prius

I will stick by what i said. BMWNA took care of my problem. You can lose sleep over the "release" but I sleep well and have fun in my car.

Ping Golf Club demo tech
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 05:02 AM   #400
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
ok, here I go.. a couple weeks after I purchased my 335i Sedan with Sport package and step, I stopped by the dealership to pick up my plates. While I was at it I asked my CA if I was eligible to get an oil cooler retrofit because my car did not come with one (it was before march production) and all the newer ones are having them factory installed... He sat me down with the service manager and I told him about the situation and said the dealership cannot do anything about this, and that I would have to contact BMWNA for this issue.. he said it was highly unlikely that they will give me the retro-fit for free... Well after about 2 months, I decided to try and give it a shot, and I just wanted to ask what exactly did people tell BMWNA in order to get the retro-fit? I dont wanna call and make a fool of myself.. any advice would be great... these threads are so long and imformation is scattered, if someone could help me out I would appreciate it.. thanks,
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #401
lkn
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Take your car to the dealership first so that the dealership can note your car in the history as running high temperature oil before anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #402
E90 335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Here is what I did:

Call up BMW NA and tell them you are submitting a request for a retrofit oil cooler. Tell them you have gone into limp mode a few times and your oil temps always run over 280 degrees and normally closer to 290. Tell them you cannot normally drive your car to where it needs to go without having to worry about a limp mode or hot oil. I was asked if I race my car, which I don't, and I said no. They will forward your request and somebody will call you in a few days. Tell them the same thing and then they will send you a confidentiality agreement through email or fax (your choice) and you have to sign and return to them and then your parts will be ordered. It will take a few weeks for your parts to arrive to the dealership you request them to and then your dealership will call you to make an appointment to have the oil cooler installed. Mine was done two weeks ago and I am happy.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 07:57 PM   #403
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
All 335xi with Auto and Sport Pkg get the oil cooler starting with March 07 production. If mine arrives without it I have their letter and I will make sure my car gets the oil cooler.
Not the Xi. I just had a 335xi sedan as a loaner with sport package, auto, premium, and cold package. No external oil cooler and June 07 build date. Maybe the manual gets the cooler?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 03:31 AM   #404
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90 335i View Post
Here is what I did:

Call up BMW NA and tell them you are submitting a request for a retrofit oil cooler. Tell them you have gone into limp mode a few times and your oil temps always run over 280 degrees and normally closer to 290. Tell them you cannot normally drive your car to where it needs to go without having to worry about a limp mode or hot oil. I was asked if I race my car, which I don't, and I said no. They will forward your request and somebody will call you in a few days. Tell them the same thing and then they will send you a confidentiality agreement through email or fax (your choice) and you have to sign and return to them and then your parts will be ordered. It will take a few weeks for your parts to arrive to the dealership you request them to and then your dealership will call you to make an appointment to have the oil cooler installed. Mine was done two weeks ago and I am happy.
is it ok to say that my car goes into limp mode even though this has never happend? wont they be able to tell when the computer doesnt throw a code, and any record of the car going into limp???? if not thats great
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #405
E90 335i
Banned
United_States
Rep

My dealer never even touched my car until the parts arrived and we're ready for installation. They won't have you bring it in for a check up (they didn't for me a few months ago) and I doubt they will for you. If they do, just insist you did get limited power warning or whatever but they won't. Just tell them that you can't get from point A to point B without having a cooling issue or having to worry about it....it'll work out...I'm oil cooled and happy based on what I did...you do fine.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #406
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep

Garage List
alright, thanks.. I'll give it a go
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #407
E90 335i
Banned
United_States
Rep

Let us know!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #408
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
If you have the 2007 335xi with sport, prem, and cold pkg, do you get to have the dealer install the oil cooler for you? Can you fight for this cooler to get installed?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #409
Leesi
Good Student Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black BMW

I called BMWNA and the reps told me to discuss the issue with service manager before requesting oil cooler retrofit. Does it happens to everybody? Should I give him a call?

Jet Black color with minor scratches

PM ME!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 05:12 PM   #410
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
I called a few nights ago....told the rep that I would like to request to have an oil cooler retro fit done to my car....the rep asked what my vin number was.....he put me on hold for a couple of min...came back and asked me which dealership I would like to have it installed at....and I was done....I wish i got the reps extension or name....but it happened so fast i could not believe it

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #411
WAYNEBO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
On an similar note, I got my fuel pump fixed once I was seeing the infamous symptoms. Thank God I was just in front of my house and not in a remote area.

After the repairs, a BMW quality assurance person called to poll the level of my dealership service (Crevier) and I mentioned that these well-known 335i issues like the fuel pump and oil cooler are beginning to tarnish their image on the enthusiast forums.

They (BMW) seem to be finally getting it that the Internet and bad rep can really hurt. Everyone who is into BMWs knows about these problems - they are all over the boards!
      11-30-2007, 08:42 PM   #412
Leesi
Good Student Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black BMW

Do you think the reps recorded my first request which can be used as a reference if I will request again in the future?

Jet Black color with minor scratches

PM ME!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #413
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNEBO View Post
They (BMW) seem to be finally getting it that the Internet and bad rep can really hurt. Everyone who is into BMWs knows about these problems - they are all over the boards!
Maybe in the USA.. in Canada, you pretty much have to sue the brickheads, and even then, they still threaten the customer with costs, lol..

I read/saw video somewhere that the head of Marketing for Canada said that Canada was a small market, less than the size of a couple of dealers in Florida. At that moment I came to the realization that there was probably some truth to the statement, but it just meant that BMW was selling cars in the great white north in spite of, not because of, their customer service/marketing tactics. They really need to take a lesson from the USA.. no.., better still, they need to be replaced by BMWNA and double the customer base in a few years..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2007, 12:57 AM   #414
fucema
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post
All 335xi with Auto and Sport Pkg get the oil cooler starting with March 07 production. If mine arrives without it I have their letter and I will make sure my car gets the oil cooler.
So it's been several months since you posted this. Did your car come with an oil cooler?

My guess is - No. As I understood it, only the XIs that have both Sport Package AND the Sport Wheels upgrade will have the oil cooler installed.

I'd love to hear otherwise though, as I've ordered an XI without the Sport Wheels upgrade before I knew about this fiasco.

On a side note, has anyone considered the option of having an aftermarket cooler installed?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2007, 11:35 PM   #415
mrwma237
Polytech Trooper
Rep
Drives: 2018 F36 440i Gran Coupe

Does 2008 335i sport/6 speed coupe have oil coolers installed?

Do you guys know if 2008 335i sport package 6 speed coupes have the oil coolers installed??

My car is still in Munich, waiting to be deployed to the states, Long Beach, CA. I want to start this process now with my sales agent if my car doesn't have the oil cooler.
      12-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #416
Scottward
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i/Sport/Step/Prem

BMW NA Playing F$ck F$ck Games with the Oil Cooler Retrofit now!!!

I purchased my 335i Step/Sports package about a month ago. First I was told by the dealer that it was the updated model with the cooler. I was not familiar enough to know where to look at the time (right fender well). Come to find out, after I purchased the car I, it was a February build and did not have the cooler. Well I figured I would give the car a chance and see how it did without it. After some spirited driving in the mountains, my temps got up to around 290, so I began backing off the car for fear of overheating and a limp mode.

I figured after reading all the goodwill retrofits from these forums for the earlier build Sport/Steps that BMW would step up to the plate for me also. After talking to an initial rep. at BMW customer relations, they stated it should not be a problem and I would receive a follow-up call. Well I received a follow up call today by a somewhat rude female who went on to lecture me that they will not give me the retrofit unless I have actually thrown a limp mode code and that I needed to take it to the dealer so they can verify the code.

So I guess now I need to go back to the mountains and do some more spirited driving so that my temps rise to 300 degrees and I get the limp code. It doesn't matter that they have already hovered at 290 degrees and the only reason why it did not continue to climb is the fact that I began to baby the car.

Unbelievable!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #417
Lost Horizon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435 MPPK+1970 XKE OTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottward View Post
So I guess now I need to go back to the mountains and do some more spirited driving so that my temps rise to 300 degrees and I get the limp code. It doesn't matter that they have already hovered at 290 degrees and the only reason why it did not continue to climb is the fact that I began to baby the car.

Unbelievable!
Keep it up around 4500-5500 and flog it/shift lots, and you can do it.. once you throw the fault, cool it down nice and slow .. the fault indication will stay in memory ... take a picture also..

Glad to help.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #418
Scottward
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i/Sport/Step/Prem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizon View Post
Keep it up around 4500-5500 and flog it/shift lots, and you can do it.. once you throw the fault, cool it down nice and slow .. the fault indication will stay in memory ... take a picture also..

Glad to help.

Thanks for the reply. I have no doubt that if I would have kept up the spirited (however not abusive by any means) driving that I could have easily had a limp mode. It's pretty sad that they know it will happen, but I have to purposely (although without much effort) cause my car to overheat before they will help me out.

Someone up top must have decided to change the retrofit policy for the older SPORT/STEPs placing the burden back on the customers vice just taking their word for a known problem. BMW has probably just lost a potential long time customer.
Appreciate 0