E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How do I clear 5DE1 rear brake pad sensor light? Already replaced but light on

09-13-2021, 04:46 PM   #23
goto35
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 m3 cars in 14 years :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
He says he has a 5DE1 code in the title. This is not just an e90 thing, but applies to other BMWs as well of similar age. Not sure why the system is designed that way, but the fault will not clear even in a closed circuit by clearing the fault directly. CBS resets do however clear it, assuming that is problem is sensor driven.

This usually results from a botched attempt at replacing the brakes and an improper reset. You can fix this in ISTA with a CBS correction, but it does not sound as if the OP has ISTA.

goto35 when you look at the service remaining in CBS for the front and rear brakes, what does it say (either from bimmerlink or the device display in the car)?

You can see some more details from this TSB, but it is ISTA specific. Note, this identifies a need to reprogram the vehicle if the brake is reading 255% with the 5DE1 code. However, with the current version of ISTA you can correct this CBS data without reprogramming.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...49431-9999.pdf
I dont have ISTA. How would i get ISTA? I have bimmerlink, Bimmer code and thats it and the bluetooth ODB.

I think its def a programming issue.

So yes I tried to reset the rear sensor (I was just resetting ALL of them) and then BAM, it showed rear brakes need to be replaced and brake light on.

The brakes low (but not that low) so i got a mechanic to change and install NEW rear brake pads and new rear sensor. The light is still on and cant reset bia manually or by bimmerlink.

It shows _---- in the dash and wont allow me to reset. It gives me a error in bimmercode.

Anyone is los angeles could help me. would hate to take it to a stealer

thanks all! this is a 06 330i e90 ( a car i REFUSE to sell.) just repainted and fixed everything on (spend more money than the car is worth! LOL)

but this e90 is one of my fav cars. I have a f83 m4 manual, ferrari f430, bmw 530e, mercedes gl550, yet i cant ever sell my e90. love it way too much and still drives like a brand new car!

btw this is painted in a custom one off color (lighter than nardo grey but simiar tone).

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP! BMW E90 REALLY HAS THE BEST AND MOST HELPFUL COMMUNITY

HOPING SOMEONE IN LOS ANGELES CAN HELP ME.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
3PedalJake2997.00
      09-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #24
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [10.00]
I also have a TitanSilver '06 330i with far more into it than it's valued at, worth every penny tho IMO.

Most of the public links to ISTA were taken down for copyright, you can message Jok3r5 for a megaupload password but probably easiest is to download the torrent available in the second post here and load it in P2P client. I'm currently seeding it as are others so it should be available....

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847924
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 05:11 PM   #25
goto35
Lieutenant
Rep

My car was originally black

Wondering if anyone in la can help me
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #26
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

From your last post, I still can't tell if you've tried to reset it via the CBS when you had the pads replaced. Clearing the code will not work with dashes displayed.

Assuming you have already tried to reset it via the CBS and it failed, if you are showing dashes, there is one way that will definitely work with ISTA (or another system capable of doing a CBS correction) and another that sometimes works by jumping the terminals on the brake sensors. ISTA is basically free and you only pay for the cable. The other systems capable of doing CBS corrections are not what most DIYers have ($$).
What I believe BMW corrected in later programming was the resistance sensitivity in the CBS to recognizing new sensors.

The jumping of the terminals is pretty easy to do as mentioned before. Once you've made a connection between the leads by any of the methods mentioned above, you would just need to reset the CBS while they are jumped. Afterwards you can reconnect a working sensor.

If that doesn't work (and it doesn't always), you'd need to do a CBS correction or take it someone that can do it (or update the program).

You can download ISTA for free via torrents or you can pay someone on eBay for a faster download.
Appreciate 1
arkie6395.00
      09-13-2021, 09:19 PM   #27
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by goto35 View Post
... I think its def a programming issue... Anyone is los angeles could help me... I have a f83 m4 manual, ferrari f430, bmw 530e, mercedes gl550, yet i cant ever sell my e90. love it way too much and still drives like a brand new car!... btw this is painted in a custom one off color (lighter than nardo grey but simiar tone)... My car was originally black...Wondering if anyone in la can help me
Quote:
From your last post, I still can't tell if you've tried to reset it via the CBS when you had the pads replaced. Clearing the code will not work with dashes displayed. Assuming you have already tried to reset it via the CBS and it failed, if you are showing dashes, there is one way that will definitely work with ISTA (or another system capable of doing a CBS correction) and another that sometimes works by jumping the terminals on the brake sensors... The jumping of the terminals is pretty easy to do as mentioned before. Once you've made a connection between the leads by any of the methods mentioned above, you would just need to reset the CBS while they are jumped. Afterwards you can reconnect a working sensor...
Twenty-seven (27) posts & counting in this thread. OVER a brake pad wear sensor warning light and related fault code.

Apparently OP "had the pads, and/or sensors", changed at a shop that didn't Reset CBS, didn't actually replace Sensors, and/or he's BS'ing. He won't respond to your efforts to explain how he can do it himself, or how his shop could do it. I would suggest:
Let someone in LA handle this.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 09:25 PM   #28
goto35
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
From your last post, I still can't tell if you've tried to reset it via the CBS when you had the pads replaced. Clearing the code will not work with dashes displayed.

Assuming you have already tried to reset it via the CBS and it failed, if you are showing dashes, there is one way that will definitely work with ISTA (or another system capable of doing a CBS correction) and another that sometimes works by jumping the terminals on the brake sensors. ISTA is basically free and you only pay for the cable. The other systems capable of doing CBS corrections are not what most DIYers have ($$).
What I believe BMW corrected in later programming was the resistance sensitivity in the CBS to recognizing new sensors.

The jumping of the terminals is pretty easy to do as mentioned before. Once you've made a connection between the leads by any of the methods mentioned above, you would just need to reset the CBS while they are jumped. Afterwards you can reconnect a working sensor.

If that doesn't work (and it doesn't always), you'd need to do a CBS correction or take it someone that can do it (or update the program).

You can download ISTA for free via torrents or you can pay someone on eBay for a faster download.
Yes i tried to reset via CBS and no luck. How i got into this mess was i tried to reset rear via cbs even before it was due, and then all of a sudden the brake light and rear brake failure come on. Fronts reset perfectly.

i also tried to reset via bimmerlink but gives me an error message.

ill have to figure out how to get the cbs correction done in los angeles (or have a mechanic try the trick above with sensor)

NEW SENSOR AND BRAKE PAD WAS INSTALLED IN FRONT OF ME. THE SENSOR IS NEW
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 07:20 AM   #29
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Got this 5DE1 code recently, and came across this thread looking for a solution...

I certainly caused the code myself; replaced the pads but didn't replace the sensor because it wasn't worn.

Used ISTA to try and correct the CBS, but it just reported that the CBS was already at 50Kkm, so no update possible.

I then plugged in a new sensor, and reset using the stalk as normal...CBS on the car showed 11kmi remaining. Go back to ISTA, try and correct it and it says already 50Kkm remaining no need to reset.

Tried the 2nd option in ISTA where you input the existing pad thickness (11mm, system had 6.5mm logged); that worked, and allowed me to edit the number of resets, but then it just showed 255% remaining for front and rear brakes. The fronts wouldn't update, and gave a warning about the rear error. The rear wouldn't update. I plugged the new sensor in again and updated manually, and left it be at 11kmi...

Now, ISTA had been warning that because it was built before 2013 it needed an update from ISTA P (as per the TSB somewhere in this thread). I didn't have ISTA P working at the time, so couldn't see anything there. But I got it running today to see what updates it would recommend. Funny thing is, the DSC wasn't even on the list of modules it planned to update! I haven't run the update; just left it be since everything is operational for now.

So, what gives? Why does ISTA report 100% unworn pads, but the CBS on the dash only says 11kmi left? Why can't ISTA do the CBS correction properly? And why doesn't ISTA P recommend updating the DSC, when that's recommended by ISTA and the TSB?

I have manually updated a few modules in the car, so no update for DSC is probably correct...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 05:45 PM   #30
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Had a look at this again yesterday. The update it said was possible through ista-p is adding "KCBS" to the VO, default coding the DSC, saving the new VO to CAS and frm, and resetting the steering angle sensor. I did it, and it now lets me play with the CBS of the brake pads without any 255% etc nonsense...but I still can't make it accept that the rear pads are likely to last a bit longer than 11000mi.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 02:46 PM   #31
ana100
Finland
Rep
Drives: Z4, 530e, M550d, ex...335xi

Negative mileage for rear brakes...

Been struggling with this for a while, searched many forums, but no luck. Patient is a E92 335xi from 2008. I did reset by "accident" the brake wear sensors. Got warning lights for the sensors... could not reset anymore via instrument cluster, could not reset with OBD tools (Protool, Tool32) either., tried also INPA. Both front and rear sensor wires are "shorted", i.e. kind of new sensors. DSC gives codes 5F10 and 5F11. Instument cluster gives CC-ID 328. Factory coded both DSC and KOMBI several times. Somehow I managed to reset front sensors, but now rear brake sensors show still -25000km (and front sensors 40000km left). Rear sensors giving yellow brake light on dash... Any advice? Is there something on ISTA which could resolve this? Any means to filter out the errors in instrument cluster?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2023, 06:19 PM   #32
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana100 View Post
Been struggling with this for a while, searched many forums, but no luck. Patient is a E92 335xi from 2008. I did reset by "accident" the brake wear sensors. Got warning lights for the sensors... could not reset anymore via instrument cluster, could not reset with OBD tools (Protool, Tool32) either., tried also INPA. Both front and rear sensor wires are "shorted", i.e. kind of new sensors. DSC gives codes 5F10 and 5F11. Instument cluster gives CC-ID 328. Factory coded both DSC and KOMBI several times. Somehow I managed to reset front sensors, but now rear brake sensors show still -25000km (and front sensors 40000km left). Rear sensors giving yellow brake light on dash... Any advice? Is there something on ISTA which could resolve this? Any means to filter out the errors in instrument cluster?
After reading this several times, I’m still not sure what you mean by shorted. There is a CBS correction function in ISTA, but I’m not sure that would make the error go away. You can also try jumping the terminals on the connector, doing a reset, then reconnecting the old connector and doing another reset. That will for sure reset the lights, unless of course you mess it up.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 04:30 AM   #33
ana100
Finland
Rep
Drives: Z4, 530e, M550d, ex...335xi

Quote:
After reading this several times, I’m still not sure what you mean by shorted. There is a CBS correction function in ISTA, but I’m not sure that would make the error go away. You can also try jumping the terminals on the connector, doing a reset, then reconnecting the old connector and doing another reset. That will for sure reset the lights, unless of course you mess it up.
Sorry my English, shorted -> jumped, wires tied together. I also checked the continuity of the wires to DSC box.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 03:56 PM   #34
jacob.fr7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i / E92 335i

bumpin this thread

2006 E90 with 178K miles (:

Replaced rears myself, with new wire but getting !255 from rear brakes followed by fault 5DE1

I have Bimmer ProTool and just recently got INPA, however Im working on installing ISTA as I can't speak or read German

Are there any clear cut real solutions, I know that there is a reprogramming option that the dealer can do but is this possible at home?

Cheers, Jake
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2023, 04:43 PM   #35
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Appreciate 0