E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > Video 145 MPH

03-07-2006, 05:30 PM   #23
m4200gt
Rep
Drives: Vo. S80T6, 325iE90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsand5
The blinker means that you are going super fast, and get the hell outta the way! As of just recently, it is illegal to do that because they say that it scares drivers, and they panic, leading to more accidents.

yoah.. this I like... going to Germany in order to violate laws... You outla .. ehh.. guys should stick to our rules, too, if you donīt want to be reported to the police or even get caught red-handed
They are always present ("all-seeing eye") and always in search of people who could be "possible customers"

Another hint for E/D-aspirants: using the headlamp flasher when overtaking is allowed in case you are not too close to the car in front of you. The German police are keen on catching peope who donīt keep the distance. Recently I had to pay a 75€ fine..there was a gap of 50ft in between me and the car in front of me... which should have been approx. 155ft ... a pity..

The only advantage of the German law: You canīt get arrested for driving too fast.. .

And I also want you to be aware of the fact that itīs slightly irresponsible/insensible to go over a 155mph with a brand new car:
1) You have never experienced such a velocity and this is why you can hardly handle the car and hardly estimate its reactions, you are used to broad American highways, which are straight for many miles - and flat, we have hilly and carvy "Autobahnen". So my advice: Gain some experience before trying out the real deal - you don`t want it to end up as a flop - and you certainly feel like becoming old???
2) Neither suspension nor engine are prepared for such a strain at a low mileage. Try to avoid higher speeds (below 100) until you have 1000mls on your odometer. Otherwise you are likely to regret your "speeding experience" one day.. (this only applies to you if you plan to keep your car longer than 3 years)

I hope you donīt feel insulted now, I just wanted to warn you and to point to possible consequences of speeding at a low mileage. And I donīt doubt your driving skills, either. But letīs talk again when youīve experienced 250km/h for the first time... Your hands are going to be sweaty and your steering wheel will be wet
.. this is what happened to me when I did 300 for the 1st time, and years ago I made the same exp. with 250.. and friends of mine.. do the same..

have fun in Europe... and donīt forget to visit the Black Forest and Castle Neuschwanstein

Greetings from G,

Josua

(pls.. If you spot a mistake(grammar, spelling), feel free to correct me)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #24
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6spd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
m4200gt

In no way do I feel insulted. That is why we are all in this forum, so that we can give our own personal OPINIONS and our .02. This is such a great way to share our passions and experiences. I am actually glad that you took the time to share your thoughts, and give us advice while doing the e/d. Actually my cousin in Duisburg warned me about being too close to cars. He said that they have cops on overpasses with cameras taking pictures of "tailgaters" and then sending them tickets. If I do get a ticket, where are they going to send it to? Im not sure that they have my U.S. address? When I was actually doing the higher speed driving, I already had almost 800 miles on the car (driving from Munich, to Stuttgart, to Bobblingen [i think that's how you spell it], to Dusseldorf and Duisburg and Cologne, then to Zufenhausen [to the 911 Porsche factory where my cousin works]). The fastest that I have drivin here is 130mph on a straight away, and have raced my motorcycle, a 2004 suzuki gsxr 750 on the track where I hit about 165mph. So I would have to say that I do have an acute understanding of the reactions needed and responsibility to control a vehicle at higher speeds. On the bike at high speed, for example, you have to be able to judge a turn and start leaning into it 100's of feet before the curve even comes around, otherwise you'll end up in the wall. The difference of using the back brake at initial 80% instead of 70% could be the difference between eating dinner and drinking it through a straw for the rest of your life. As for regreting me not breaking the car in correctly, I"ll deal with that problem if it ever arises. Even if it costs me a new engine in the future (which I very highly doubt), I am justifying the costs for the ability to have the experience that I did while in Germany. I will never be able to do that again in the U.S., aside from racetracks. It is also every car fanatics dream to "fly" down the autobahn!

-2005 Yamaha Warrior 1700 102cu"
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2006, 06:27 PM   #25
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
cal, the z4 was a 3.0 in fact; however, when we were going at it, he was ahead of me by a few car lengths, and heard him hit the gas way before I even shifted to 5th.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2006, 12:59 PM   #26
m4200gt
Rep
Drives: Vo. S80T6, 325iE90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsand5
m4200gt
It is also every car fanatics dream to "fly" down the autobahn!
Thanks for your polite and constructive comment on my view. Seen in this light I have to revise my comment which should be now: This applies to people who are doing this for the first time.
Otherwise itīs not a big deal.

Concerning the ticket I have to disappiont you: They will find you out because this plate is registered somewhere. And in case of being flashed the police will inquire all the information BMW or the registration office have collected about you! And I feel certain that their data also contains your adress! They are trying to stem this kind of "delict", because if people know that they will have to pay, they will play the game according to the rules. The fines are moderate, but the real problems are the "points". As a German resident you get them, for speeding, being too close, drunk, stoned.. or whatever... well.. and after having collected 18 points you will have to hand in your license for several month. But donīt be scared: This canīt happen to you. You only can be forbidden to drive on German roads, nothing more. Imagine you receive a ticket from Germany: If you donīt turn up in Germany again in the near future, you should not pay the fine..

Greetings, Josua
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 07:09 PM   #27
hotsand5
hotsand5
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Here are some links to some more vids, in case you are bored and have broadband. Sorry for the bad quality on most of them (my friend accidently set the camera on low quality: I already beat his ass for it).

Watch your mirrors:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...32272675625138

Hitting 155mph limiter:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...67766750839818

Night time driving:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...64242880789643

My 05 gsxr 750 as I pass by at around 145mph:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...04824528733267

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2006, 10:44 PM   #28
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Nice videos, Really makes me anxious to do my ED and see what driving in Germany is like. Dunno if I'll be going quite that fast, though I'm sure it will be tempting.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0