E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Sandwich, sir?

09-18-2011, 12:26 PM   #23
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Same for me - I look for quality and value for money ( i dont mind paying more if I get more )
      09-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #24
prt71
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
If I were you I'd stop worrying so much about the quality of your ingredients. You're not feeding food critics but people who want a satisfying lunch at a decent price just like rockit says. You're practically paying for quality mayo from your own pocket for people that'll have a fridge full of Tesco value stuff at home.
Couldn't disagree more and think you're patronising an awful lot of people with that statement?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 01:20 PM   #25
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

[QUOTE=Vaheed1;10435067]First of all, I would like to thank you all for your opinions.

The meal deals have all been done - I just don't think they're worth the effort, unless i was based on a town high street - where the turn over of different customers is very high. When you're selling to around 50-60% of repeat custom, like i do, I find that with the realistic small margins of crisps and pop (don't forget, the margin is dropped even further as they are all VATable items) we actually end up with regulars spending more - but decreasing the gross profit margin.

QUOTE]

-I agree up the prices and keep the quantity and quality.
-Try not to breach pound barriers where possible as they have a mental stigma for many.
-A poster explaining price increases or a flyer will be helpful to expain to customers why you have had to price at this time as you have covered the cost for x period and can no longer do so, etc.
-Train the staff with key facts so they can explain politely to customers why you have taken this approach and reasure the quality and quantity will not change.
-Still push the extra's, crisps, drinks, etc. They may be margin % dilutive but they will be cash margin enhancing and unless you are a FTSE listed company trying to show GM% development you will be better off! Please see example below, these sales will be incrementative 99% of the time and also offer a customer service and keeps them loyal.

good luck.

e.g. base range

Turnover 100
GM 60%
GM 60
Fixed costs 20
Cash Profit 40

e.g. base + extra items

Turnover 125
GM 55%
GM 69
Fixed costs 20
Cash Profit 49
      09-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #26
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
I like the polite sign behind the counter idea.

It's easy to say up the prices, as I'd happily pay more, but then again I don't work in a factory on a relatively low salary. Vaheed, you know your customers best, so you're best to judge but I'd consider the majority if options suggested.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:29 AM   #27
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
How about:

Put the price up.

Do a loyalty card- but keep it simple like buy 10 get one free, stamp based on a bit of cardboard.
Loyalty cards are something I've considered, and having known someone who has done this - they complained about it messing his cash flow up. Again, this would work very well, where repeat customers weren't as high as mine. If I give away a sandwich for free to customers who I would practically bank on coming through the door for 5 days a week - then I'm losing out in the long run by giving them their 5th day dinner for free.

Some might see that as a backwards way of thinking, but I think this is something that would only work well for a shop based in a city centre, where the percentage of repeat customers is allot lower.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #28
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
I like the polite sign behind the counter idea.

It's easy to say up the prices, as I'd happily pay more, but then again I don't work in a factory on a relatively low salary. Vaheed, you know your customers best, so you're best to judge but I'd consider the majority if options suggested.
lol - thats the problem Rodger, I know them all too well and know they will complain!

Like i mentioned earlier - after weeks of deliberating, I put the Tuna sandwiches up and I never heard the end of it for a few weeks. I think the way forward would be a small increase in prices. I will wait a little longer though, as I've just had the shop done out - I don't want people to think that THAT is the reason why they've gone up.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:41 AM   #29
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
Loyalty cards are something I've considered, and having known someone who has done this - they complained about it messing his cash flow up. Again, this would work very well, where repeat customers weren't as high as mine. If I give away a sandwich for free to customers who I would practically bank on coming through the door for 5 days a week - then I'm losing out in the long run by giving them their 5th day dinner for free.

Some might see that as a backwards way of thinking, but I think this is something that would only work well for a shop based in a city centre, where the percentage of repeat customers is allot lower.
I was thinking more of buy 8 or 10 get one.... and in conjunction with an overall price rise of at least that much.

I can't see how it would mess with your cashflow. On average you are going to give a certain proportion of customers a free sandwich each day. All your customers are not going to cash in all their coupons all on the same day.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #30
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Also have you got things like skim milk for coffees? If people are on a diet, they may want skim milk. If you only have semi-skimmed, they go somewhere else for their coffee. If they go somewhere else for their coffee.......
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #31
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

Thank you for all your input chaps.

I've actually derived a better way of covering the costs, without a big increase in the sandwich prices. 10-20p will be sufficient there. To counter the ever increasing prices - I think baking an assortment of Muffins/Scones/cup cakes/loaf cakes/brownies/cookies would be the best way forward.

Currently, we only bake our own scones, simply because we can't find a decent supplier! The rest, we buy in. The profit margin on these is around 35-40%. IF we started baking these ourselves, the margins can grown to 150-200%
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #32
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
I really don't see why people would complain if you increased prices (within reason of course). I mean, every bugger is at it, life is becoming very expensive so why should you suffer just because you've delayed it as long as possible. Food, fuel, insurance, utilities are all increasing (of which your business will be hit by them all). Even the Government are joining in with increases in VAT (again, impacts on your business).

I say polite notice and small price increases. A right load of faff but hows about phasing in really small increases in of 2p for a few weeks, then another 2p, until you reach the amount you want - some people might not even notice, others might appreciate you making the effort to aid cashflow. Softly softy catchy monkey.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:40 AM   #33
mobileadam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d e92 M Sport

I think communication with real facts about rising costs can't be argued about. Perhaps moaned about by a few known regulars but with some good communication they might feel even more valued.

I would love to find a decent sandwich place that cares about quality and customers
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #34
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

Garage List
where abouts is your sandwich place Vaheed? Do you do halal sandwiches? Might give it a try next time im up in Gateshead for work
      09-21-2011, 07:02 AM   #35
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M-Sport

I'd be careful judging if people would be happy paying more by responses on here. Most here would have a far higher disposable income and as said above, you know your customer base best.

Having said that, I print takeaway menus for many different shops and most of the sandwich shops or cafes I print for are increasing their prices, some by quite a margin. Whether that has any direct affect on their trade I couldn't say.
      09-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #36
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmondo View Post
I'd be careful judging if people would be happy paying more by responses on here. Most here would have a far higher disposable income
Maybe, but why is it then that the majority of scroungers on benefits eat take outs seven days a week!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #37
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
Maybe, but why is it then that the majority of scroungers on benefits eat take outs seven days a week!
Because they're lazy shits who won't work and won't even bother to cook! And actually I think a crappy takeaway is cheaper then cooking at home sometimes!

(btw this has nothing to do with OP's sandwich shop! - Im not comparing that to a "crappy takeaway")

09-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #38
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
Originally Posted by prt71 View Post
Couldn't disagree more and think you're patronising an awful lot of people with that statement?
Possibly.

My statement was based on my experience of working as a temporary production operator contractor (lowest of the low minimum wage line worker) at a number of factories for 2 years in the early 90s (IBM, Compaq etc). Every day the same people would moan about their cheese roll not having enough cheese but would go back and order the same the next day simply because it was cheaper than the place next door. When you're on minimum wage you can't afford to be fussy.

I didn't mean to imply this reflects Vaheeds customers. That was just my personal experience.

Last edited by mowflow; 09-21-2011 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #39
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
I know a guy that hasn't worked an honest day in his life. He's actually a really decent guy and although he gets benefits he works hard at trying to make what he can to put food in his sons mouth and clothes on his back (mother is a junkie and pissed off long ago). He buys and sells what he can to make ends meet, usually stuff pulled out the dump, he doesn't beg or steal. He lives day to day financially so going and spending £50+ on a weeks shopping is out of the question. This means he just buys cheap take away all the time. It's a false economy but his mind set is not to look past today.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #40
jinjur
yes....spelt with J's
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325D MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
hmmmm....depends....

I would probably not continue buying if the prices went up.....(if its a small rise, then fine).

and i spend £4.20 for a chorizo sandwich and coke everyday!....
I bet your shites are fuckin' leaping.

That aule heure Gillian McKeith would have some fun hoking around in that mess with her pen.

J
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #41
Vaheed1
Major
Rep

As we're slowly moving in the direction of affordability, I say I can't blame some people for going to a take away for their meals. Then the government has the fucking balls to turn around and complain about obesity epidemics.

Has anyone seen the price of anything that is even remotely healthy? Fish, Chicken, fresh fruit, dried fruit and veg, low fat fresh produce or even Organic. I earn decent money and would consider myself someone who likes a good produce... Even I choke at some of the prices for stuff. It's horrendous.

Why would a family of 4 go to a supermarket to buy a healthy meal, let's say the menu is:

Pan fried Salmon (4 pieces circa £5.00) with Pesto (1 jar circa £1.50)
with some baby potatoes, spinach, carrots and peas ( circa £3.00 for 4 portions) and ready made couscous (circa £2.50 for all) olive oil to add the healthy factor, say £2.00

Drink: A fruit smoothie - ( bunch of banana's, strawberries, oranges and pears..total price circa £5.00)

They would have to spend around £15.00 for a 'healthy' meal.

Why would someone do such a thing when they can pop into my old man's shop, buy a loaf of bread for 80p, a bottle of ketchup for 99p and then go next door to my chip shop and buy 2 large bags of chips for £2.60. For less than a £5 - that same person can stuff the same 4 person family and save the pennies for a rainier day.

I reckon anyone worth their salt, who gave a shit about their future and that of their own children, would, 9/10 take the healthier option - but people simply cannot afford it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #42
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yup I know what you mean. Even lunch time at work, I can either go to the supermarket and get sandwich,smoothie and fruit for around a fiver, go to "subway" and spend over a fiver or go to a local takeaway and get a chicken burger meal (burger, chips and can of drink) for under £2.50!!!

As it happens I stay away from the burgers (haven't had one in months) but the point is that food that is bad for you is cheaper!
      09-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #43
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Don't worry, I've had many a long internet argument about that and fully agree.
      09-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #44
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
I reckon anyone worth their salt, who gave a shit about their future and that of their own children, would, 9/10 take the healthier option - but people simply cannot afford it.
Sorry for going off topic but this simply not true. If a family of four on benefits can not feed themselves healthier food without it being wrapped in newspaper or from a poly box then THEY choose to live that way, its not down to being able to afford or not. If said family packed in smoking and drinking then they could all eat like kings. How many £1 offers do Tesco now do on fruit / veg and everyday foods, hundreds. One packet of cigs, what's that nowadays £6? I could feed a family of four a healthy balanced meal for less then that. Might taste like s*it but it wouldn't kill you! Or a packet of veg seeds 99p, grow your own, there are ways.
Appreciate 0