E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Lower back pain in seats?

09-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #23
Audentia
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 640i gran coupe

Sorry for resurrecting a dead post, but I have a very similar problem, and havent really found a solution.
(TLDR: do you think its worth paying dealership to see if they can fix or possibly replace 2008 328i e90 sport seats? Is there anything to "fix"? Will it help the sinking / lower back pain problem?)

I understand seats are very subjective, and searches of just about any manufacturer along with "seats hurt" will populate results, however i also noticed a very polarized opinion with regards to e90 seats. Some people love them, some people hate them, some prefer sport seats, others standard, but there's not much room for middle ground.

So it seems there are 4 main variables: body height/weight, core muscles/fitness, seat cushion firmness, lumbar metal bar.

Can't change the first one much, I'm small 5'8" 135lbs and i wonder if seat was designed with a bigger person in mind, however I've read others taller and heavier describing similar issue
Staying healthy definitely helps, I run several times a week but otherwise am stationary (software developer by trade) and so adding situps to my daily routine helps

But... there's still something wrong with these damn seats. And so you know, I have driven e90 regular seats for 6months or so, then sport seats for 1 year, and tried all kinds of positions. I've also tried F30 regular seats in a rental for a few weeks and found them much better, but still not perfect. However, that could be because now I noticed my lower back is sensitive in any car I drive in.

cushion firmness: my e90 sport seats (bought used from a 2007 e90 and installed aftermarket) seem too soft. The driver seat seems softer than the passenger, but other people say they seem close enough. I unfortunately can't drive in the passenger seat, but i wonder if the cushion were firmer it would adjust my body orientation so it hits the lumbar better, adding foam/ pillows does seem to help, but its kinda wonky. Is my e90 driver sport seat defective or is that just how they are?

lumbar: I've actually taken the seat apart and i can see whats causing the pain, its this giant metal bar that goes across the seat, pushing forward. Both sport and non-sport has it, and i wonder if all BMW seats have it. It does not seem like a good design, because the weight of your upper body does not push against it so it just pushes into your lower back. I wonder if there's a way to make it less stiff, so it gives more? Any ideas?

Anyone else dived into the bmw seat dilemma? Think the dealer could help? haha its driving me crazy. never had this in my previous cars, which were Saturns lol. Love the bimmer, but perhaps my body just doesnt like bimmer seats?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #24
alexg212
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is Coupe/Mustang Gt

Just get your settings dialed in. On your memory settings, have one for short trips, one for long distance. Rest your upper back, more strain on your lower. Rest your lower, strain on your upper. I used to find the sports seats slightly uncomfortable. But after finding my sweet spot, and being aware of body placement, all good now. This is a 3 series. Not a Cadillac or 7 series. Will never be as comfortable as some cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 09:15 PM   #25
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

I have back issues and can't sit in most cars for more than an hour or 2 before the pain is pretty bad.

What I've found works is every 30 minutes or so i adjust the seats to a new position to keep my back from being in the same position for too long. And i never drive with my wallet in my back pocket.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #26
b1mmr
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87
I have back issues and can't sit in most cars for more than an hour or 2 before the pain is pretty bad.

What I've found works is every 30 minutes or so i adjust the seats to a new position to keep my back from being in the same position for too long. And i never drive with my wallet in my back pocket.
Wallet out on trips definitely helps, but then I got an e90 and literally couldn't stand anything in my back pockets. Ditched my wallet for this http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...699641&alt=web" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://pages.ebay.co...41&alt=web</a> no regrets and typically leave it the car nowdays lol. Magnet will erase your hotel key cards too FYI.

Have yet to leave the state in the e90 so this holiday should be interesting. Biggest struggle for me is staying focused and alert. SLOWLY and conservatively drinking a good Ole monster helps there + staying fed.
      09-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #27
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_N54 View Post
Wallet out on trips definitely helps, but then I got an e90 and literally couldn't stand anything in my back pockets. Ditched my wallet for this http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...699641&alt=web" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://pages.ebay.co...41&alt=web</a> no regrets and typically leave it the car nowdays lol. Magnet will erase your hotel key cards too FYI.

Have yet to leave the state in the e90 so this holiday should be interesting. Biggest struggle for me is staying focused and alert. SLOWLY and conservatively drinking a good Ole monster helps there + staying fed.
Sunflower seeds keep me focused and alert.

Longest Ive driven in mine is 13hours. by hour 10, I had to get out and stretch for a little bit, and pop a painkiller. Had extreme back pain.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #28
Parth317
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3, 09 E92 335i(SOLD)

I found a pretty small lumbar pillow at Bed Bath & Beyond and it makes a huge difference. I only use it on 2hr+ drives though. Works really well
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 01:35 PM   #29
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

its the seats mostly. i've delivered a few 5 series, 7 series, and x5's to customers that live a few hours away and i NEVER have any pains in those vehicles. i drive my 335 for 30 minutes and im leaning against my steering wheel trying to stretch my back.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #30
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wallet out on trips definitely helps, but then I got an e90 and literally couldn't stand anything in my back pockets. Ditched my wallet for this http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...699641&alt=web" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://pages.ebay.co...41&alt=web</a> no regrets and typically leave it the car nowdays lol. Magnet will erase your hotel key cards too FYI.

Sunflower seeds keep me focused and alert.

Longest Ive driven in mine is 13hours. by hour 10, I had to get out and stretch for a little bit, and pop a painkiller. Had extreme back pain.
Haha I've done the same, I looove David and Biggs seeds.. Sometimes I get these tired spells, I'm not sure if ADD contributes to these but they are powerful and a simple walk can make them go away. Provided that I don't actually just need to go to bed lol.
      09-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #31
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg212
Just get your settings dialed in. On your memory settings, have one for short trips, one for long distance. Rest your upper back, more strain on your lower. Rest your lower, strain on your upper. I used to find the sports seats slightly uncomfortable. But after finding my sweet spot, and being aware of body placement, all good now. This is a 3 series. Not a Cadillac or 7 series. Will never be as comfortable as some cars.
Yep, I use both settings 1 and 2 frequently depending on my mood. Not even gonna sugar coat it, these seats blow lol. Lumbar setting is dumb and seems to have no pattern in which the control works.

I don't understand your Cadillac reference.. A 3er is still a 35k luxury sedan. But alright.
      09-08-2015, 02:40 PM   #32
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I use both settings 1 and 2 frequently depending on my mood. Not even gonna sugar coat it, these seats blow lol. Lumbar setting is dumb and seems to have no pattern in which the control works.

I don't understand your Cadillac reference.. A 3er is still a 35k luxury sedan. But alright.
if youve ever driven a caddy, youd know.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 02:53 PM   #33
Audentia
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audaci42 View Post
its the seats mostly. i've delivered a few 5 series, 7 series, and x5's to customers that live a few hours away and i NEVER have any pains in those vehicles. i drive my 335 for 30 minutes and im leaning against my steering wheel trying to stretch my back.
Hmm, bummer. Fantastic car, you'd think the seats would be better / fit more body types. That was the one saving grace of my last car, it had recaro seats, those were epic, never any back pain, but they also fit my body type well, others said they were too narrow.

Well, im prolly gonna take the back panel off my seat and try to pull back that lower bar with some wire, i saw someone on these forums did that before, see how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2015, 05:13 PM   #34
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

I'm 6'4 and around 180 pounds. The back pain is really killing me when doing a road trip.. Is adding a pillow going to help?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #35
b1mmr
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

if youve ever driven a caddy, youd know.
So caddy having comfy seats allows bmw to leave that out of a 35k car. I get it, they're comfy.. So was a 2 thousand dollar Plymouth breeze. However my 335xi is not hahahaha. Chit anymore caddy is competing in the performance department lol.
      09-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #36
b1mmr
Major
Rep

*insert but but you bought an entry level performance sedan post here* zzz oh and the center console is chit too *insert buy 250 dollar extendable euro center console comment* sigh
      09-10-2015, 12:10 AM   #37
dillonmpower
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335I coupe

Try stretching your hamstrings prior to driving - Usually your hamstring(one f the strongest muscles in the body) will pull the weaker lower back muscles causing discomfort. if im going on a road trip Ill usually stretch for 5 minutes before I leave.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 03:23 AM   #38
Audentia
United_States
Rep

Well it does seem like some people's seats sink more than others, which then causes the back pain because the angle changes in how you sit in the seat. Anyway, I'm having the dealer look at it. Afraid what the labor will cost to take it apart especially if they dont come up with a solution, but in the end if something can be done it will be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 07:53 AM   #39
Bob Shiftright
Save The Manuals!
Rep
Drives: E91 Schleppwagen

I don't find the BMW sport seats -- even with bazillions of adjustments -- quite as comfortable as standard Volvo (or SAAB) seats with only a few adjustments.

One of the reasons I keep buying Eurocars is that the seats seem to fit my Teutonic butt better than the Japanese and US marques.

At least BMW seats aren't nearly '68 Dodge Dart-type uncomfortable (for me).

It might be possible to add or subtract foam from the seat for a better anatomical fit.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=112927

http://www.miata.net/garage/foamectomy/
2008 E91 36K, 6-speed, RWD, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Lidatek, remote V-1, Cocomats, beach sand, $10 clutch stop mod. 1998 Volvo V70T5 226K, 5-speed, original clutch (third clutch pedal!), aspheric driver's mirror, E-code headlights, IPD sway bar, strut tower brace & skidplate.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #40
Swish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sport

I think I know the reason for your trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
If I'm on a long road trip, I get chronic lower back pain in my E90. I have the non-sport seats with power adjust, heat, and lumbar support. I find myself actually putting on my seat heater to help with the pain a little. Im a 6'3" weigh 160 pounds. I find myself leaning to one side or the other for some relief until it comes back and switch to the other side to lean against the bolster. I hate to sound winey, but lower back pain really kills me on road trips. Any tips to help ease this? I try to put my lumbar support all the way out and low, but it only does so much.
You're 6'3" and weigh 160 lbs. Eat something lol!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #41
Audentia
United_States
Rep

So got car back from dealer a few weeks ago, they say seat looks fine to them, so oh well.

I decided to take matters into my own hands. I can't do much about the seat sinking (i tried propping stuff underneath but no luck) but the main issue is the lower back being so stiff anyway. I popped the back panel off and you can see this big zig zag bar that causes the problem. Even when the lumbar bladder is empty this thing is way too stiff and bends out.

(see pics) So I wedged some plastic between it, got some high tensile strength cord and pull the bar back against the frame. After its all tight i remove the plastic thingy i had wedged in there and it holds it back a bit from the normal position. This had moderately successful results, I think I actually need to retighten some things and it could be better.

The other thing I did, was re adjust the seat in a position i thought wouldn't make sense but actually its helping quite a bit. A typical seat i would think to have a L shape slightly rocked back for driving position, but it seems these bimmers are really meant to be like a V. So that means moving it oddly close to the pedals but then rocking everything back so you're not super cramped. I hate to admit it after being convinced the seat was the problem, but this has helped a lot. It's still not perfect, but much improved.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #42
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

I have the sport seats and it took me a while to get comfortable with them. I found that i was sitting too upright. I finally got comfort when i lowered the seat and inclined it back. Now it fits like a glove.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2015, 08:53 AM   #43
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otruba_843 View Post
If I'm on a long road trip, I get chronic lower back pain in my E90. I have the non-sport seats with power adjust, heat, and lumbar support. I find myself actually putting on my seat heater to help with the pain a little. Im a 6'3" weigh 160 pounds. I find myself leaning to one side or the other for some relief until it comes back and switch to the other side to lean against the bolster. I hate to sound winey, but lower back pain really kills me on road trips. Any tips to help ease this? I try to put my lumbar support all the way out and low, but it only does so much.
Same height, same issue. I'm in an e92 though. I keep the seat damn near straight up, and find myself leaning to the right, which causes chronic tightness in my side

Tried that V-shape idea, but then my legs get jammed up and it's difficult to work the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 02:25 AM   #44
Audentia
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
Same height, same issue. I'm in an e92 though. I keep the seat damn near straight up, and find myself leaning to the right, which causes chronic tightness in my side

Tried that V-shape idea, but then my legs get jammed up and it's difficult to work the clutch.
Hmm yeah its kinda weird on the legs, but i am getting used to it and its been much better for me anyway. You are a good deal taller than me too though, I'm 5'8" And I just have an auto, so not sure how the clutch would feel etc.
Appreciate 0