E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rejecting e93 from BMW?

03-07-2017, 02:07 AM   #23
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Water ingress is not a minor thing tbh.

If it happens to get somewhere it shouldn't (water does have a nasty habit of finding it's way to some obscure places) then it could have more of an issue than just some water in the boot etc.

It's very easy for others to say keep calm and relax etc, but I'm pretty confident when most are in your position they would not be so understanding.

Let's be honest, when you've just bought a car from a main dealer and there is an issue straight away that's not on BUT can happen. You then give the dealer the opportunity to rectify it and they keep your car for 10 days and they still don't resolve it, you'd understandably be a bit off about it. Then when told you will get call backs and you don't that just infuriates more as it's just common courtesy.

Yes you need to stay calm and make your points but in this circumstance I'd call them and ask to speak to the dealer principle directly. Explain to him the events that have occurred and if he's not willing to do anything state you'll go to the franchise director for BMW GB.

Sounds a bit OTT but I have done this in the past with an issue with BMW Central (Birmingham).
      03-07-2017, 02:20 AM   #24
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Well I don't know how you do it? First time I tried to get money knocked off a car at BMW strastone Derby and stratstone Doncaster they wouldn't come down a penny. They lost my business. They keep making out that's why the cars are like £18,372 because the price is exactly what it should be.
I know BMW Derby have good sales though and as soon as I walk away 5 more people are lined up behind me...
I have never paid the screen price for any car. I negotiated £1800 off the dealer price for my 530d from Dick Lovetts, Swindon over the phone without even seeing the car. It can be done but you just have to go in hard and not give anything away if face to face. They can tell if you are sure bet and will negotiate accordingly.
      03-07-2017, 03:04 AM   #25
keynote2017
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
Water ingress is not a minor thing tbh.

If it happens to get somewhere it shouldn't (water does have a nasty habit of finding it's way to some obscure places) then it could have more of an issue than just some water in the boot etc.

It's very easy for others to say keep calm and relax etc, but I'm pretty confident when most are in your position they would not be so understanding.

Let's be honest, when you've just bought a car from a main dealer and there is an issue straight away that's not on BUT can happen. You then give the dealer the opportunity to rectify it and they keep your car for 10 days and they still don't resolve it, you'd understandably be a bit off about it. Then when told you will get call backs and you don't that just infuriates more as it's just common courtesy.

Yes you need to stay calm and make your points but in this circumstance I'd call them and ask to speak to the dealer principle directly. Explain to him the events that have occurred and if he's not willing to do anything state you'll go to the franchise director for BMW GB.

Sounds a bit OTT but I have done this in the past with an issue with BMW Central (Birmingham).
thanks for the advice mate, im going to give them until the end of today then look into officially rejecting the car. Your 100% right about common courtesy, if they talk to me and explain they are trying to sort something out i would be ok with it. but avoiding my calls and making me stay on hold is what really P me off the most.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:12 AM   #26
keynote2017
Private First Class
Rep

Okay, so just gave them a call and been told ill have an answer by today. Ive asked for the car to go to ANY bmw dealership in birmingham which i think is very fair. I said if we dont have a solution by the end of wednesday im going to officially reject the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 05:01 AM   #27
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Agree on haggling. I got my f10 down from 22k to 18.5k and was chuffed with that. Don't forget dealers don't like cars hanging about too long. If they think you are serious they will do a deal.

Btw does anyone think BMW dealers are any better than your average back street garage.. they just have nicer waiting areas and that's about it...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 05:10 AM   #28
Thermobaric
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92

Interesting I figured BMW prices were firm. I mean, I can't imagine them coming down nearly £4K off a £26K M3 for instance. I guess it depends on the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 05:14 AM   #29
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermobaric View Post
Interesting I figured BMW prices were firm. I mean, I can't imagine them coming down nearly £4K off a £26K M3 for instance. I guess it depends on the car.
Definitely not firm buddy.

They generally have quite a margin in them from what they've paid on the px price.

Don't get me wrong it may not be a huge amount on each car but they certainly have a good bit they can drop if they so wish. It does depend on the particular car and the demand of course.
      03-07-2017, 05:17 AM   #30
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post
Btw does anyone think BMW dealers are any better than your average back street garage.. they just have nicer waiting areas and that's about it...
I've found they are better from the ones I have experienced from a car purchase perspective. Genuinely have sorted any issues or provided the car to the best as is from the off.

Guess it's just felt there is a little more comeback with the main dealers.
      03-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #31
keynote2017
Private First Class
Rep

They are usually a lot better, i think you have higher expectations if buying from bmw. If i had purchased this car from any other dealer tbh i wouldve just looked into getting it sorted myself, but as i purchased iit from bmw i expect the car to be a certain standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 08:04 AM   #32
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Personally unless this is a very rare colour combo or spec, reject it.

The E93 roof is a complex system. The average BMW tech won't have a clue what to do beyond trial and error and the basic BMW workshop manual. There are people who had leaking roofs from factory and never got the issue resolved. Eventually they rejected the car.

IMO BMW customer service is only getting worse. There are tonnes of BMW's on the road and the amount of dealers with servicing bays hasn't grown enough to meet that demand IMO. The dealers don't have much competition and your roof issue is going to be hugely costly for them to look at vs. a 320d oil change.

I am speaking from experience here and on a current experience of a friend who has been without a car for 8 weeks now due to an error a BMW UK owned garage made during a service. They admitted fault and it's still taking forever for them to repair the vehicle and agree terms for warranty etc.

If you are going to keep it I advise you speak to the dealer principal of the garage you bought it from and lay out strong demands from the start stating your intent to reject the vehicle if you are not happy with their plan for resolution. You will get deflected around the houses for weeks other wise.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #33
keynote2017
Private First Class
Rep

Is the exact colour i wanted, white with red interior but as you said im not going to keep a car with a leak just because it looks nice. They now have until Wednesday to find a solution or im rejecting the car.

Anyone had any experiance with rejecting the car? And guidelines i need to follow?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:06 PM   #34
m20b25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I've recently rejected a car from BMW. Within 30 days, you can reject it if anything is wrong. After 30 days, you have to give them chance to fix it. If you're serious, get the letter of rejection in now and they will accept or deny. If it's on finance, you will need to tell the finance company
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #35
Not a Diesel!!!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Megane Cup-S

There used to be a 30 days 1000 miles return thing as part of BMW Approved Used.

Years ago I mentioned this on the passing when the frayed seatbelt that had been melted with a lighter was cutting my neck was not covered by AUC Warranty.

Seatbelt was then replaced.

This does not show on approved used any more used to be a headline statement.

Couple of things not happy with my new purchase the dealer agreed not to there expected std so they are collecting car next week & rectifying.

I think try to maintain amicable relationship as long as possible as much easier this way.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 03:45 AM   #36
keynote2017
Private First Class
Rep

The dealer has come back to me with their solution. they want to take the car back for 5 days and fix the problem. They said as a goodwill gesture they will refurb my 313 allloys. What do you guys think? I would rather go to bmw birmingham as i think they will do what ever needs to be done to fix the car regardless of cost howver the original dealer will want to fix it the cheapest way.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 04:03 AM   #37
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keynote2017 View Post
The dealer has come back to me with their solution. they want to take the car back for 5 days and fix the problem. They said as a goodwill gesture they will refurb my 313 allloys. What do you guys think? I would rather go to bmw birmingham as i think they will do what ever needs to be done to fix the car regardless of cost howver the original dealer will want to fix it the cheapest way.
If they do a good refurb and you care about the wheels its a good deal. Considering they just sold you the car surely the wheels were refurbed though?!
Im my experience BMW refurbs (or wherever they outsource to) are low quality and start to milk and peel.

If you take the deal and the problem comes back then you can still reject the car later. So in that respect I guess taking their offer is a no lose situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 05:07 AM   #38
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Since the dealerships are franchises unless they're part of the same company it would cost them more to do at your local dealership.

If the wheels don't need doing I wouldn't do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 06:02 AM   #39
keynote2017
Private First Class
Rep

The car had MV4s orginally which yes are perfect no marks at all, however i changed them to a used set of 313s. Im not fussed about the alloys tbh, they are not too bad tbh i didnt even think about them because i want to get this leak sorted first. My concern is because they have to pay for it they are going to do it the cheapest way, however if i take it to a diffrent dealwr who knows they arent paying they will change what ever needs to be changed regardless of cost. Can they say i cant reject the car because they are offering to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 06:29 AM   #40
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

Pretty much yes, you can't reject a car just because the solution they're offering you aren't happy with. I think they have 3 attempts to fix the issue before you can reject the car.

Might be wrong about that but it's what I've read with new cars, not sure if used is any different.

If you're not fussed about the wheels I'd probably ask for the car to be collected/dropped off/courtesy car etc, or just that they spend another hour or two making sure its fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #41
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalize View Post
Pretty much yes, you can't reject a car just because the solution they're offering you aren't happy with. I think they have 3 attempts to fix the issue before you can reject the car.

Might be wrong about that but it's what I've read with new cars, not sure if used is any different.

If you're not fussed about the wheels I'd probably ask for the car to be collected/dropped off/courtesy car etc, or just that they spend another hour or two making sure its fixed.
Ask them if they will do the above AND the alloys as well - you never know!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #42
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
Ask them if they will do the above AND the alloys as well - you never know!
You want them to do the job right, asking for more and more increases the chances of them rushing the job to save money.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 08:34 AM   #43
abeardo83
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'd say reject the wheel refurb. Tell them that they have to collect and drop off the car and provide a courtesy car.

Also state that if the fix doesn't resolve the issue, the car will be rejected.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #44
keynote2017
Private First Class
Rep

They are happy to collect the car and drop me a courtesy car, I dont want to do this because its still putting another 300miles on my car, and i told them if it wasnt fixed the first time i would reject it.
Appreciate 0