E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Is a e92 335i a wise choice - affordability question

09-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #23
jayblue
Rep
Drives: Ex 335i

If you buy carefully the 335i is no more expensive to run than most regular cars. Just watch for the most common issues and buy one that has had them done already. Or get one with less than 60k miles, buy a BMW warranty and enjoy the car.

The biggest hit money wise with a 335i is likely to be depreciation - its one of the reasons i recently sold mine as i was only doing 4,000 miles a year in it. So i bought a car that is more special to drive and has the added benefit of being rarer and in the future collectable. Prices have been rock steady for a few years now so depreciation is no longer a factor.

If the OP is not set on a 335i and wants to spend his cash on a car (and not a house) then i would suggest buying something that will hold its price, that way he gets his initial investment back at the time of sale.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #24
scaryprowler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT

Out of interest - what did you buy Jay?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #25
KingKL
Rep
Drives: E92 335i soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089
Do it OP!.... life is short!

Make sure you get a BMW warranty and enjoy the car! roll up at the student union and get the bad bitches!
Haha would love to do this but parking in London is a bitch!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 06:26 PM   #26
KingKL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayblue
If you buy carefully the 335i is no more expensive to run than most regular cars. Just watch for the most common issues and buy one that has had them done already. Or get one with less than 60k miles, buy a BMW warranty and enjoy the car.

The biggest hit money wise with a 335i is likely to be depreciation - its one of the reasons i recently sold mine as i was only doing 4,000 miles a year in it. So i bought a car that is more special to drive and has the added benefit of being rarer and in the future collectable. Prices have been rock steady for a few years now so depreciation is no longer a factor.

If the OP is not set on a 335i and wants to spend his cash on a car (and not a house) then i would suggest buying something that will hold its price, that way he gets his initial investment back at the time of sale.
What cars would you suggest would hold there value? I was thinking about a E46 M3 as I see them becoming what the E30 M3 is now but it's hard finding a good clean one.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #27
Pacman83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

You're a young guy and intend to buy a turbocharged 3.5 litre coupe?
Well, I guess you aren't going to be doing much 'Granddad driving' so you will be filling it up very often

Last edited by Pacman83; 09-06-2014 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 07:38 PM   #28
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayblue View Post

Depreciation isn't much on an issue unless you are buying a reasonably new one.

Cars have gone up in value in the last year.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 07:45 PM   #29
KingKL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman83 View Post
You're a young guy and intend to buy a turbocharged 3.5 litre coupe?
Well, I guess you aren't going to be doing much 'Granddad driving' so you will be filling it up very often
I've owned a rx8 and I used to get 13mpg on my journey to work. I became friends with the cashiers at the petrol station because I was there so frequently.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #30
jayblue
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryprowler View Post
Out of interest - what did you buy Jay?
I bought a Maserati Gransport. Always wanted to do the italian exotic thing and after much research found they are very solid on pricing and for the type of car it is relatively reliable and affordable to maintain.

If I could have done the 2 seater thing my choice would have been a Tvr T350 or even a Tuscan. Both are doing well on residuals and if you buy carefully may start to appreciate in value soon. The Lotus Elise is cheap to run and also benefits from extremely strong residuals.

I didn't look into any more bmw's but a good e46 M3 should always be worth good amount.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #31
Pacman83
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92

Quote:
I bought a Maserati Gransport.
OK, you're not bothered about fuel economy
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #32
jayblue
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman83 View Post
OK, you're not bothered about fuel economy
Nope not really! Although the insurance was £200 less than the 335i which with my low mileage per year covers off the extra fuel a little.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #33
scaryprowler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i DCT

Quote:
I bought a Maserati Gransport. Always wanted to do the italian exotic thing and after much research found they are very solid on pricing and for the type of car it is relatively reliable and affordable to maintain.

If I could have done the 2 seater thing my choice would have been a Tvr T350 or even a Tuscan. Both are doing well on residuals and if you buy carefully may start to appreciate in value soon. The Lotus Elise is cheap to run and also benefits from extremely strong residuals.

I didn't look into any more bmw's but a good e46 M3 should always be worth good amount.
Great stuff! Does it have a Ferrari engine?

OP - good luck with you decision! Its a nice position to be in at 21.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #34
jimpom23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Interesting but welcome dilemma OP, with many angles to consider

Bottom line for me is that money for a house is a must, prices are rising every month so to get on the ladder would serve you and your future well, regardless of being absolutely ready!

On the other hand, as others have said, if you get a sub 60k example and warranty, it's not that expensive at all - even with servicing which at your mileage would be once every two years (you may want to do more but don't 'need' to) and even then the most expensive service only set me back £350 at a main dealer.

My advice, for what it's worth would be to sell your current car, get something fun, like the aforementioned RX8 or maybe an S2000 (which I had last) that way you scratch the itch of wanting a nice, new, fast car and save a good wedge towards boring things like houses - £5k will get you a decent example of both of those cars
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #35
KingKL
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpom23
Interesting but welcome dilemma OP, with many angles to consider

Bottom line for me is that money for a house is a must, prices are rising every month so to get on the ladder would serve you and your future well, regardless of being absolutely ready!

On the other hand, as others have said, if you get a sub 60k example and warranty, it's not that expensive at all - even with servicing which at your mileage would be once every two years (you may want to do more but don't 'need' to) and even then the most expensive service only set me back 350 at a main dealer.

My advice, for what it's worth would be to sell your current car, get something fun, like the aforementioned RX8 or maybe an S2000 (which I had last) that way you scratch the itch of wanting a nice, new, fast car and save a good wedge towards boring things like houses - 5k will get you a decent example of both of those cars
I do like s2000s but need more than 2 seats. Wouldn't have another rx8 again because owning it was a headache.

If I do get a 335i I would most likely keep it for a while.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #36
Greg330
Major
Rep
Drives: E91 335i

I think the key is to buy the right car in the first place.

As everyone has said fewer than 60k with a warranty you won’t have much to worry about.

I did just that and it’s been a very good car, with the only time I’ve needed the warranty was on a HPFP.

I have found though more frequent oil changes help. So in between the usual services and every 6k or so I’ll do my own oil change. It’s a cheap DIY job with the oil from Euro Car Parts you’re in for under £70.

Also with forums and DIY code reading apps its easier to diagnose problems and if you’ve got any mates that are half decent under the bonnet you can solution things a lot cheaper. I had a regular EML light and with a little bit of research and trial and error managed to diagnose it and resolve it for the price of a sensor. If I’d taken it to a main dealer I would definitely of been turned over!! If you can’t do it yourself use a decent and trusted independent for those sort of jobs.

On the fuel it is what it is, you clearly like cars as you’re going for a 35i, so any alternative you probably get will be thirsty and you’ll do just as much fuel on something that may have cost you less at the outset but won’t be anywhere near as fun!

I would also say go manual, its such a wonderful gearbox especially with the performance short shift!

On the house front, worry about that when you need to!! I’ve always gone with the motto you can live in your car but you can’t race your house and its worked out alright for me!! (By the way I do own a house now and don’t live in my 35!!)
Appreciate 0