E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > English majors need some help pwwease

10-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #23
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
^^Not "strong" enough for a cause/effect thesis IMO...

I always approached these papers as not necessarily being right or wrong, or educating readers upon a topic, but to test how well you can provide support for a particular statement. There should be a definite statement without uncertainty, x causes y, not x causes not y, x causes not y, or not x causes y.

The task is then to support your position strongly and minimize doubt surrounding it. An unfortunate truth is the person who's right often does not win an argument, the person that casts the most doubt on the opposing opinion does. So with this in mind, you need to structure your support without leaving margin for doubt.

But yea my english teachers at UofA definitely blazed...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #24
radix
you know he kills little girls like you
No_Country
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schm View Post
Example Thesis: Vaccines are a lifesaving tool for thousands upon thousands of people across the world. They can prevent a wide range of diseases and are vital in many parts of the third world. However, several myths persist about the use of them; one of the most salient being the apparent link between children receiving vaccines and their eventual development of autism. There is significant evidence that receiving X (Vaccines) does/doesn't lead to the development of autism. This is something that deserves further research and investigation.

And go ahead and hide a nice fat bleezer in there when you turn it in. . you know how English teachers are

I'd argue the case differently, in addition to trying to prove that vaccinations don't cause autism, I'd argue that the theory that they do is without base, in fact I'd argue it doesn't even qualify as a theory as defined by science.

Quote:
derka derka, muhammed jihad

<expository on why the topic itself is overgeneralized, there are different types of vaccines, surely they can't all be responsible for autism, blah, blah. >

<expository on the necessity of the correct application of scientific method toward a hypothesis, and how the paranoia regarding autism with respect to vaccination falls short of that standard>

<outline of clinical studies showing that there is no causal link between the two, also bonus points for cum hoc ergo propter hoc>

<summary/conclusion>

<sources, bibliography, etc>

Last edited by radix; 10-28-2010 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #25
Schm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

^^^ Excellent point, it is more important not to prove that there is causality, but that said argument linking x and y is horseshit.
      10-27-2010, 02:45 PM   #26
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Collin just paypal radix $100 to write this for you

How you liking that Suntory radix? Need any help finishing it?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #27
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Collin just paypal radix $100 to write this for you

I feel sad that I've never been to college. If this is indicative of sort of assignments they give in college, I think I really missed out on an interesting time. The whisky is great, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #28
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
I feel sad that I've never been to college. If this is indicative of sort of assignments they give in college, I think I really missed out on an interesting time. The whisky is great, thanks!
Indicative (based on my own experience) of the assignments given to gen-ed English 101-102 type classes for sure...but (obviously depending on concentration) not of the overall educational experience. I'm not saying Collin goes to a shitty school (I honestly can't remember where he goes) but this might have been a mid-term or final paper for my first year English requirements
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #29
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Indicative (based on my own experience) of the assignments given to gen-ed English 101-102 type classes for sure...but (obviously depending on concentration) not of the overall educational experience. I'm not saying Collin goes to a shitty school (I honestly can't remember where he goes) but this might have been a mid-term or final paper for my first year English requirements
im at a 2 year, ENG 1010 or 101 for you guys

now i feel stupid
      10-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #30
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I wasn't really referring to the technical difficulty of the assignment in terms of structure, frankly it's an expository/typical essay of the type I learned of in freshman year of high school. The fact that it has to do with whether there is some inkling of causality between vaccination and autism is, for the most part, irrelevant in terms of difficulty. I suppose I just find the subject that the professor chose to be considerably more interesting than those I was given in high school.

BTW, if you ever want to go on a drinking binge with me, I'm just about always free. Friends drink and smoke (mostly cuban) cigars gratis. Consider this an open invitation to you, Feyd, and some of the other Chicagoland members. I just downed about six jiggers of Remi XO and had a Bolivar CE, so if there are a bunch of typos in my last few posts in this thread, you'll know why.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #31
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

This is the assignment, it isnt JUST autism, I chose that topic

Essay 4: Cause-Effect

The fourth essay will be an analysis of causes and effects. Choose a topic of which you have some direct knowledge, through either personal experience or close observation. Use this knowledge to provide your reader with powerful first-hand insights into the situation you discuss. In addition, conduct some research on the subject and use some of the information from various experts on that issue to supplement your personal knowledge. By illustrating the outside, authoritative, factual information with your own vivid personal examples, you will be able to offer your reader a truly enlightening glimpse into the issue, and not just a bland survey of facts.

Suggested Topics

Discuss causes or effects of:

· A specific disease, handicap, learning disability, or psychological disorder

· A dangerous, self-destructive practice (drug, alcohol, or steroid abuse; eating disorder; improper self-management of a medical condition; a risky and/or illegal method of strength training, weight loss or muscle gain, etc. for a particular sport. . .)

· Challenges faced by families of individuals with a condition requiring constant care (Alzheimer s, autism, stroke, paralysis, etc.)

· Common injuries suffered by players of a particular sport/position; workers who perform a particular job; people of a certain age group or other common category OR the effects of a specific injury on the afflicted person

· Impact of a particular type of environmental irresponsibility on the landscape, wildlife, human population, etc. in a specific area you know well

· Positive effects on health and/or quality of life due to a specific new treatment, medication, technological advancement/invention, therapy method, education strategy, natural remedy, etc. for a specific medical or other condition

· Positive effects of service animals, visiting pets, etc. on the quality of life for individuals with physical or sensory impairments, autistic children, the elderly at home or in nursing homes, etc.

· Positive effects of legal new training methods or technological advances in such areas as equipment, surgical repair, physical therapies, etc. used to achieve specific skills, strength, endurance, or other advantages needed for competitive success in a given sport

· Positive effects of a specific change to a more environmentally responsible practice (new building materials for housing or other construction; reclamation/recycling of old building materials; creative recycling/conservation within the home, at a business, or in a specific community; green living via new purchasing habits and/or other major household practices changed on a large scale; a major home renovation project undertaken to make the home more energy/resources efficient; the switch to an alternative fuel source or vehicle type, etc.)

Requirements

Research

At least three sources

One must be a book

One must be an article from an approved database, such as:

· Academic OneFile

· Lexis-Nexis Academic Universe

· Access Science

· Curriculum Essentials

The third source may be another such book or article or a different kind of source, such as a personal interview, information from a reliable, authoritative website like the Environmental Protection Agency website, a detailed pamphlet or other useful publication from a respected organization, etc.

Appropriate MLA style documentation of sources and information used from them

· Works Cited page

· In-text parenthetical citations

Content:

Introduction:

§ A basic definition or explanation of the problem or situation (remember to cite any source information you use in this section)

§ A clear thesis statement that indicates your purpose (remember keywords that will help you express your focus: cause, effect, result, consequence, etc.) You may but do not necessarily have to list in your thesis the three causes or effects you intend to discuss.

3-5 body paragraphs, each of which contains a topic sentences, explanations/definitions, examples, and a conclusion/transition to the next paragraph.

Conclusion:

· Reminder of the thesis statement

· Explanation of significance of the causal chain, primary cause, and final effect

· Recap of major points

· Closing statement
      10-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #32
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
LOL starting early, I like it. I'm still at the office

In the regional forums which are pretty active for the great lakes there is a karting/dinner/drinking gtg in the works...I'll keep you posted. As for random consumption and general debauchery, I'm always down (as my schedule allows)

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #33
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
This is the assignment, it isnt JUST autism, I chose that topic
Good ninja edit, now I know where you go to school. FWIW, the fact that you'd recognize that you should've edited out what you did means you shouldn't feel stupid.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #34
radix
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
LOL starting early, I like it. I'm still at the office

In the regional forums which are pretty active for the great lakes there is a karting/dinner/drinking gtg in the works...I'll keep you posted. As for random consumption and general debauchery, I'm always down (as my schedule allows)

Actually it's late for me. I started work at 11pm last night. I've moved on to sake now BTW. I don't think cognac makes a good base for sake, but oh well.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #35
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good ninja edit, now I know where you go to school. FWIW, the fact that you'd recognize that you should've edited out what you did means you shouldn't feel stupid.
Im no where near stupid, I was just an athlete all through highschool and ignored what I was taught and was just smart enough to pass without doing any type of studying, now im having to teach myself what I ignored for years.

Its not hard to figure out, I live in knoxville and go to the state college here until i get my basics out of the way to transfer to UT.
      10-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #36
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Actually it's late for me. I started work at 11pm last night. I've moved on to sake now BTW. I don't think cognac makes a good base for sake, but oh well.
Never combined the two...do you heat the sake up? I've never been a fan of that actually. You should also try Chinese "rice wine" if you haven't...it's interesting
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 03:50 PM   #37
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Collin if all else fails here's a free paper you'll probably get an A on

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #38
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Im guessing thats a joke, tl;dr

ive cheated my way long enough, its time to actually do the work...just wanted tips that you guys have been more than helpful
      10-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #39
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

You're lucky to have so many people volunteer to help you...
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #40
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

im so happy im done with english. got that shit done the first year
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #41
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
im so happy im done with english. got that shit done the first year
Im taking 102 next semester while its fresh so i can get it done
      10-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #42
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

radix would you mind proof reading the paper when im finished?
      10-27-2010, 06:10 PM   #43
jhv
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
BTW, if you ever want to go on a drinking binge with me, I'm just about always free. Friends drink and smoke (mostly cuban) cigars gratis. Consider this an open invitation to you, Feyd, and some of the other Chicagoland members. I just downed about six jiggers of Remi XO and had a Bolivar CE, so if there are a bunch of typos in my last few posts in this thread, you'll know why.
thanks for the invite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #44
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
thanks for the invite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
have you seen the video of that dog in your avatar?