E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Pics of my new front speakers (installed)

05-15-2006, 11:47 PM   #23
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

how about a list of features you lose in exhange for upgraded sound..

bluetooth/assist
steering wheel controls
PDC if you have it
aux input (probably not an issue)

anybody else??

it's cool that you upgraded, but you should be clear of what you're trading in so we don't have 8 more threads about some idiot taking his car to best buy for stereo work and loosing all kinds of functions...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 05:10 PM   #24
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro
T-MC-G......do the hookups on the factory subwoofers look like regular hookups on subs? so if i wanted to replace my subs with aftermarket all i gotta do is a real quick hookup?
no it is a special clip, but you can clearly see the positive and negative speaker wires right before the clip, so you can just cut it off and use those. The nice thing is that those wires run straight back to the stock amp, so if you swap the subs and add a new amp to run them, you can get to the wires right there in the trunk.
I would NOT run new subs with the factory amp.

"tell me what you don't like about yourself..."
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 05:11 PM   #25
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward

bluetooth/assist
steering wheel controls
PDC if you have it

anybody else??

it's cool that you upgraded, but you should be clear of what you're trading in so we don't have 8 more threads about some idiot taking his car to best buy for stereo work and loosing all kinds of functions...
I didn't have any of those except steering wheel controls, which I lost. But I got voice control with the new radio and nav, so I can tell it what to do.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 05:14 PM   #26
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romain
Hey,
How's the sound of the 4 inch speakers? I am willing to change my speakers too, but have not decide. BTW, let me know the adaptor if it gonna work.
Good job

Mike
I haven't gotten a new ant. adapter yet b/c I only listen to sirius now. The fronts sound GREAT, they are very clean and very loud. I have them crossed over at 110Hz which takes away some stress from the bass since they are only 4" speakers. The stock subs under the seats are playing from 70Hz to 110Hz and the 10w7 is playing 70Hz and below, all slopes are 12Db per octave.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 05:17 PM   #27
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep

If anyone is doing a sub in the trunk with a new deck, I would just set the High Pass filter on the deck to around 80Hz. This will keep the subs under the seat from playing low bass which causes them to distort sooner thus making them able to play MUCH louder. You new sub will take care of all that. This is possible because the stock amp just graps the signal from the fronts and rears and then plays a low pass to the factory subs.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #28
rchanou
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Jet Black

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
damn T-MC-G you know your sound. Nice setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2006, 12:45 AM   #29
golfpro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

i just want a lil extra bass, thats why i was thinkin bout changing out the factory subs with after market subs but keeping the factory amp......is this gonna work?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #30
T-MC-G
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i just want a lil extra bass, thats why i was thinkin bout changing out the factory subs with after market subs but keeping the factory amp......is this gonna work?
nope, you will lose bass. The factory subs are made outta paper and have a very small voice coil and motor structure and are only provided enough power from the stock amp to move them. If you go dropping in a bigger stronger less efficent sub, like any after market one, it will need more power to move the same amount as the stock ones. If you were to buy an amp to run them with then you would be able to hear more bass output, but not if you just plug them in.

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #31
nhhiep
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

what after market sub would fit in the original sub spot? I plan to get more bass but want to keep the car look as original as possible.

so, let's say I put two aftermarket sub in, and a extra amp on the back. how do I hook this up? it should be an easy job, right? since I will draw the signal from the original sub and power from a nearby battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #32
denture1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

You can fit an 8 inch sub with a max depth of 2.6 inches.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2006, 07:45 PM   #33
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

We're just installing stage one of an upgraded sound system in my E90 (with NAV/iDrive) and the front stage will be covered by a Focal 2way system in the front doors and we replaced the factory subs under the seats with 9" woofers from Morel (http://www.eltimaudio.com/products/E...9%20woofer.pdf)
the Morel subs have been installed in custom enclosure into the OEM spots under the seats, if you have ever taken the OEM subs/enclosure apart you'll notice that BMW has spent quite some time designing/engineering the enclosure/vents etc...
Amplifiers being used are two Zapcos (1000.4 for the front/rear stage , front subs and a 1100.1 for the rear sub) , the rear sub will be installed in a custom enclosure filling the hole in the trunk floor (the storage bin underneatht the floor cover) , it will either be a 10" or 12" JL W6 depending on size/sound.
We are also going to use a Cleansweek to tie it all together and take advantage of the Zapco DC amps and their time delay option.

I should have pictures of stage 1 (front/under seat subs) by end of the week, stage 2 will be finished mid/end June.

If you happen to be in the Boston area you can stop by Sound in Motion (Brighthon Av Allston/Boston) as the car will be there until
end of next week (and back in June ). SIM does outstanding work and they've also worked on my X5 system (you can find info on my X5 setup here ) and it looks like OEM .

More next week,

- Jan

Last edited by jmh; 05-23-2006 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #34
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Jmh, very much looking forward to your pictures. The setup looks like it will be great.

I assume the sub in the storage bin will be in a fiberglass enclosure?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 06:56 PM   #35
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

The sub will be mounted in a custom enclosure using MDF and molding.
The plan is to re-upholster the whole trunk with black Alcantara (to match
the headliner which I already have covered in black Alcantara) and the amps
will mounted in a custom amp rack blending into the factory floor.

The amp/sub setup won't be finished until late June.

- Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjd00
Jmh, very much looking forward to your pictures. The setup looks like it will be great.

I assume the sub in the storage bin will be in a fiberglass enclosure?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2006, 10:04 PM   #36
subframe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 325i TitSil 6mt ZSP, ZPP,

door speakers

I have the base sound system (i.e. not logic 7). I think the biggest weekness is midrange. It sounds really flat to me. I'd like to upgrade the door speakers to try to improve this. Can I just upgrade the door speakers without changing out any other components?

Thanks,

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 04:32 PM   #37
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh
We're just installing stage one of an upgraded sound system in my E90 (with NAV/iDrive) and the front stage will be covered by a Focal 2way system in the front doors and we replaced the factory subs under the seats with 9" woofers from Morel (http://www.eltimaudio.com/products/E...9%20woofer.pdf)
the Morel subs have been installed in custom enclosure into the OEM spots under the seats, if you have ever taken the OEM subs/enclosure apart you'll notice that BMW has spent quite some time designing/engineering the enclosure/vents etc...
Amplifiers being used are two Zapcos (1000.4 for the front/rear stage , front subs and a 1100.1 for the rear sub) , the rear sub will be installed in a custom enclosure filling the hole in the trunk floor (the storage bin underneatht the floor cover) , it will either be a 10" or 12" JL W6 depending on size/sound.
We are also going to use a Cleansweek to tie it all together and take advantage of the Zapco DC amps and their time delay option.

I should have pictures of stage 1 (front/under seat subs) by end of the week, stage 2 will be finished mid/end June.

If you happen to be in the Boston area you can stop by Sound in Motion (Brighthon Av Allston/Boston) as the car will be there until
end of next week (and back in June ). SIM does outstanding work and they've also worked on my X5 system (you can find info on my X5 setup here ) and it looks like OEM .

More next week,

- Jan

Jan, are you going to replace the fronts with the Focal setup and the Morel woofers, but keep the remaining Logic 7 speakers? Or will the Focal and Morel speakers (and the JL woofer) be the only speakers still active in the car?

Also, with the Cleansweep I assume you'll lose the steering wheel volume control (in exchange for the Cleansweep's remote knob) right?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2006, 05:07 AM   #38
Dazzer229
Rep
Drives: E93 320 M-Sport Cab

Rear Parking sensors

Did you loose your rear parking sensors, or do they still work via the rear speakers?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2006, 08:16 AM   #39
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

How do you feel about MB Quartz?

Nice set up man
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 12:47 AM   #40
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325i

More pics of the screen please ?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 03:06 AM   #41
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward

bluetooth/assist
steering wheel controls
PDC if you have it

anybody else??

Nice! People only think of the positive and forget the negatives. If you do the install yourself you probably have busted a clip here or there and scratched something in the process not to mention that added an amplifer will draw more power from the battery causing your Xenons to flicker even more than normal. You have to mount the amp somewhere and a carpeted 2x6 will not look good even in the trunk. Replacing the factory grill makes the car look cheap IMO. Don't get me wrong I love a great stereo if it retains the look of factory.
      05-31-2006, 06:32 AM   #42
ScotyH
Bimmer me up
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 2010 GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MC-G
I used a metra one, but I wouldn't even bother b/c I only get 1 and a half radio stations with an aftermarket deck

I just finished most of the major wiring for my new system and also had very poor reception even though I used the correct antenna adaptor. Turns out that the BMW signal amplifier must be activated for the reception to be good. The remote lead to turn on the stock amplifier also powers up the BMW antenna amplifier.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 07:42 AM   #43
ep609
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by denture1
If I wanted to replace my 6.5 inch speakers under my seats what is the maximum depth allowed. Those factory drivers look under 2 inches. Any issues with changing your head unit. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
the subs under the seats are the most ridiculous subs ive ever seen.......does anyone know if u can just put another 8" sub in its place? and if so how deep must they be to have it installed so its flush?

Earthquake SWS-08 will fit there.
a few dudes here in germany used 2 of those woofers to enhance their Logic7 System
20.06.06-Germany vs. Ecuador-3:0*
24.06.06-Germany vs. Sweden-2:0
30.06.06-Germany vs. Argentinia-5:3
*i was there
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2006, 11:24 AM   #44
KaBoom
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-t7edUfC...20&I=2064SSMB8
I'm thinking to put the above under the seat and hook up to MTX 400watt amp.
What do you think?
Appreciate 0