E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth with MHD

09-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #23
stanlalee
Major
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i manual

If your running meth to fight IATs like most (or you should be) the only real failsafe you need is to prevent siphoning from faulty solenoids/pumps and coming on when it shouldn't.. Meth not flowing won't hurt anything. Almost every meth failure I've read about was not from meth not flowing but from meth flowing when it's not suppose to be hydrolocking and bending rods. In fact for a while every blown N54 had the same common denominator: Was using meth and had a bent rod.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #24
Chitown335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Smoky Graphite 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee View Post
If your running meth to fight IATs like most (or you should be) the only real failsafe you need is to prevent siphoning from faulty solenoids/pumps and coming on when it shouldn't.. Meth not flowing won't hurt anything. Almost every meth failure I've read about was not from meth not flowing but from meth flowing when it's not suppose to be hydrolocking and bending rods. In fact for a while every blown N54 had the same common denominator: Was using meth and had a bent rod.
Interesting....what would make it spray before it should be....bad tune/controller not set at correct point in which to engage?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #25
terryd5150
Head Fry Cook at McBurgertown
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000GT MR View Post
HSF4 is the best of the best when it comes to the N54 meth/water injection. It was actually developed mainly for the N54. It uses HP fuel, rpm, boost, and IDC to calculate precise control. They're is a bunch of fail safes along with onboard diagnostics to make sure everything is working correctly. It takes a little bit, defiantly more than other kits to set up but its well worth it. I've used just about every kit and controller out there and nothing compares.
This guy engineered and plumbed his own methanol port injection system from scratch; I would be inclined to listen heavily to his opinion.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #26
Chitown335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Smoky Graphite 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd5150 View Post
This guy engineered and plumbed his own methanol port injection system from scratch; I would be inclined to listen heavily to his opinion.
I can't find this kit anywhere. ....I think I'm leaning towards the AEM v2 for now...
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 03:55 PM   #27
bokyo1987
Asleep
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd5150 View Post
I can't find this kit anywhere. ....I think I'm leaning towards the AEM v2 for now...
The Aquamist HFS-4 kit is sold by quite a few vendors.
Others sold: W204 C350, E90 330i, W-body Monte Carlo SS, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #28
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlalee
Meth won't hydralock a motor like people have said, especially when sprayed in the CP before the throttle body. Look at the cylinders that have bent rods and broken pistons, they all have one thing in common, bank 1. I have a motor in my garage I hydralocked with oil and its not pretty. Lifted head and holes on each side of the block. This happened around 3500 rpm. When spraying large amounts of meth through a nozzle or two, it separates in the air stream and favors bank 2 leaving bank 1 high and dry. It works kind of like a air/water separator. High velocity (can reach 400mph), sharp turns and off set angles. Meth doesn't fully vaporizer in the cooler cp air. It doesn't matter how good of a nozzle you use.

Meth is not cheap or bandaided power when your on the 550+ range. If you plan on going 550+ you have to treat it like secondary fueling and pay out for the 6-7 nozzles and a system that can handle it. Plenty of race cars including indy all ran 100% meth at one time or another. It's a great fuel and can be used as just that. There's no such thing as "iat only" sorry but it is 100% fuel and its being injested into the engine. If you want IAT only then cool externally.

A good rule of thumb is if your running up to 550 whp 2 nozzles is OK, not ideal but ok. Nothing less. If you plan on going beyond don't think your $500 kit on 2 larger nozzles is up to the task. If you have the money to make 550+ you should have the money to expand your kit to support it. People get way to comfortable and just think adding higher flow nozzles is the right way. At that point you should be on 100% meth and treating it exactly like secondary fuel.

People put a bad name to it because it's cheap power you can just add bigger nozzles and more pressure to a $200 kit and then go online and show pictures of your $4k motor in pieces. It's not meth that kills motors its 100% the person behind it.
Appreciate 2
      06-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #29
Bmwfixerguy
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i 6sp

Ok so to revive an older post...with some exact questions I have as well.
I have been toying with mhd bef's.. My jb4.. Meth. Nozzles and I must say I'm not totally impressed with the jb4 lately as it seems very inconsistent..
I am Fbo with inlets and outlets (hot side inlets)
I'm on a bms 2.3 kit with DO 7 and 5 nozzles in the CP with 100 percent meth....
I have been considering the jb4 for meth control and trying a straight mhd flash.

1. Can I run an mhd e85 or e40 ECT map? Will it be more aggressive I'd assume and closer to my mods? Meth is essentially and alcohol fuel so I'd assume I could :/

Also I have read damn near everyone of 3kgt's posts about meth as I'm in nj and can't buy e85 anywhere.. I'm also working on a port system soon for the same reasons he said.. I think the charge pipe is a really good way to damage cyl 1-3 :/
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #30
Bmwfixerguy
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i 6sp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwfixerguy View Post
I have been toying with mhd bef's.. My jb4.. Meth. Nozzles and I must say I'm not totally impressed with the jb4 lately as it seems very inconsistent..
I'm on a bms 2.3 kit with DO 7 and 5 nozzles in the CP with 100 percent meth....
I have been considering the jb4 for meth control and trying a straight mhd flash.

1. Can I run an mhd e85 or e40 ECT map? Will it be more aggressive I'd assume and closer to my mods? Meth is essentially and alcohol fuel so I'd assume I could :/

Also I have read damn near everyone of 3kgt's posts about meth as I'm in nj and can't buy e85 anywhere.. I'm also working on a port system soon for the same reasons he said.. I think the charge pipe is a really good way to damage cyl 1-3 :/
Bump for an answer
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2016, 09:10 AM   #31
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwfixerguy View Post

1. Can I run an mhd e85 or e40 ECT map? Will it be more aggressive I'd assume and closer to my mods? Meth is essentially and alcohol fuel so I'd assume I could :/ NO

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 05:05 AM   #32
Orion1two
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown335i View Post
I'm not sure. I don't need something crazy. I'm really just looking for it to supplement my hpfp until I can get port injection. Not ideal but it's what I can do for now.
I know this is an old post but bro! Why are you upgrading to meth when you're having fueling issues lol jb4 and meth allows you to advance timing. Something you absolutely don't want to do if you're already having fueling issues. Omg lol
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 07:04 AM   #33
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion1two View Post
I know this is an old post but bro! Why are you upgrading to meth when you're having fueling issues lol jb4 and meth allows you to advance timing. Something you absolutely don't want to do if you're already having fueling issues. Omg lol
how did you find this thread , to answer that ? curious of your process
Appreciate 0