E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Downpipe "Refresh"

10-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #23
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I generally agree with all that you stated. I had offered an opinion counter to this with the well known problems coming from that Ecotune tune. For him to sell it here to one of us, the tune would need to be corrected either by he or the buyer. He also mentioned about driving for 3 years with SES on. Having the SES on won't make it any easier to sell. I was just showing him what his fellow "first 10" brethren did to get to a much better state of running. Good luck OP.

Castle, APR=?
Yeah the SES light on is a really good point. hmm, I'd have to concede that fixing it is probably better in this case. Its hard to sell a BMW with a check engine light on.

APR=Audi Performance Racing, the closest analogy in the BMW world would be something like JR tuning/AAROD. http://www.goapr.com/. In my ownership tour of cult cars over the years I had a stop off with VAG products before joining the BMW fold.

Last edited by Thecastle; 10-19-2017 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 09:19 AM   #24
NadirPoint
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGuy87 View Post
I would have to disagree that a deleted vehicle is worthless.
They key word in my statement is "market." No car anywhere under any circumstances is worth any more than a buyer is willing to pay for it. In the case of the "emissions deleted vehicle market," that makes potential buyers needles in the haystack. Narrowing it down to a deleted 335D would be akin to only one or a few needles in the big car buyer haystack.

So if you can't find the needle, the car is basically worthless on the market. Good luck with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #25
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by highrollindreamz View Post
Beginning to think that myself.
Nobody want's your car because nobody wants to deal with re-tuning it when there are plenty of other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadirPoint View Post
They key word in my statement is "market." No car anywhere under any circumstances is worth any more than a buyer is willing to pay for it. In the case of the "emissions deleted vehicle market," that makes potential buyers needles in the haystack. Narrowing it down to a deleted 335D would be akin to only one or a few needles in the big car buyer haystack.

So if you can't find the needle, the car is basically worthless on the market. Good luck with that.
That's what the Facebook group is for. Everyone over there wants to be about that deleted life.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #26
NadirPoint
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqu3 View Post
Nobody want's your car because nobody wants to deal with re-tuning it when there are plenty of other options.
True.
Quote:
That's what the Facebook group is for.
I thought the FB group was for "owners," not "buyers?"
Quote:
Everyone over there wants to be about that deleted life.
Yeah, it's great! But like I said, just don't try to sell one. How many sales have been accomplished between the FB members or shoppers who found a car they bought there? My WAG is zero.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 12:16 PM   #27
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True.

I thought the FB group was for "owners," not "buyers?"

Yeah, it's great! But like I said, just don't try to sell one. How many sales have been accomplished between the FB members or shoppers who found a car they bought there? My WAG is zero.
FB Group is for anyone interested. I moderate it, so I see plenty of people come and go. A lot of people on there do not own a car, but are trying to buy one, and it's a phenomenal place to shop.

We have one member who posts links to ads about every week, and people will go and buy these cars. There have been sales made because they saw the car on the Facebook group. I don't keep up with the exact statistics, because who has the time?

I'm confident that if I ever want to sell my JR 2.8 car, there should be people on the group that would want it.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:20 AM   #28
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

If i end up getting the car retuned for myself/homever may buy, which stage should i go with. 2 Or 2.5 race?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:22 AM   #29
PhotoGuy87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 M-Sport 335d, 11 E91 328i

Quote:
If i end up getting the car retuned for myself/homever may buy, which stage should i go with. 2 Or 2.5 race?
Neither, 2.8 or nothing lol
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:30 AM   #30
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's what the Facebook group is for. Everyone over there wants to be about that deleted life.
I do agree with you as i think the lights make people nervous especially on a "luxury" vehicle but nobody even asks what codes are. It sounds like there could be interested parties if i get the car retuned.if i do, thinkn gonna go head and do the swirl delete.cheap and doesnt seem too hard. Does andrew offer the gasket kit with his swirl delete?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #31
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoGuy87 View Post
Neither, 2.8 or nothing lol
Whoa..$1,300 plus recommends intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #32
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Whoa..$1,300 plus recommends intercooler.
It's worth it, but honestly the stg2 is fine as well. 2.8 would be more appealing to a deleted buyer, IMO.

Andrew does have the complete swirl flap delete kit including gaskets.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #33
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
It's worth it, but honestly the stg2 is fine as well. 2.8 would be more appealing to a deleted buyer, IMO.

Andrew does have the complete swirl flap delete kit including gaskets.
Do they have an upgrade path if a person wanted to upgrade from a lower stage tune? Pay the difference? Curious how hard he 2.8 is on stock injectors, injection pump, lift pump?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:31 AM   #34
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do agree with you as i think the lights make people nervous especially on a "luxury" vehicle but nobody even asks what codes are. It sounds like there could be interested parties if i get the car retuned.if i do, thinkn gonna go head and do the swirl delete.cheap and doesnt seem too hard. Does andrew offer the gasket kit with his swirl delete?
Matt Whitbread does. But we can't talk about him here since he is banned. You can find him on the Facebook group
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #35
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Only my opinion. If you are strictly trying to get a tune for minimal cost, the JR 2 is $400 less than the 2.8. You always have upgrade path for the extra $400 (or new owner). If you know you are going to the 2.8, it makes most sense to go there in one tune instead of two.

I run JR 2 race and have just been lazy (more like spending $$$ elsewhere) to getting it done. I've been super happy with it. I have a spare ECU and had considered having one tune at 2 and another at 2.8. I dunno what makes sense but seems a waste to have two ECU with same exact thing. Only argument for duplication would be if i went to dealer and they accidentally flashed my ECU, I would have a backup. I need to go in for the airbag recall.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #36
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
... I need to go in for the airbag recall.
I just got my "letter" for that as well. Has anyone with the ABC deletes taken their vehicle in for this recall? Maybe questions for this should be posed in a new thread?
      10-20-2017, 03:20 PM   #37
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

If you are not keeping the car. Put it back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #38
NadirPoint
Rep

Quote:
FB Group is for anyone interested. I moderate it, so I see plenty of people come and go. A lot of people on there do not own a car, but are trying to buy one, and it's a phenomenal place to shop.
A group search for the word "sale" returns a handful of parts, doohickey like used tires and what appears to be an "un"deleted 2009 D that's been on offer at FB for over a month. Who knows how long he's been trying to sell it. That "alot" of people must not be trying too hard.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #39
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
A group search for the word "sale" returns a handful of parts, doohickey like used tires and what appears to be an "un"deleted 2009 D that's been on offer at FB for over a month. Who knows how long he's been trying to sell it. That "alot" of people must not be trying too hard.
OP never posted it for sale on FB IIRC. It was a FB link to a craigslist add and immediately comments started flowing about Ecotune and SES light being present. There have been quite a few car deals made in that group.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #40
PhotoGuy87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 11 M-Sport 335d, 11 E91 328i

Quote:
Just an FYI when someone sells their car on the Facebook group, if they mark it sold then it will no longer have an active posting up. So searching the group for the word "sale" is not the best way to gather information on the market for deleted 335Ds.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #41
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This might be one of those where a little cost I vested might be a good thing. The Ecotune tune was a mess. Converting it to a JR2 race would be more or less equivalent but with all the mess taken care of. The ports on the Ecotune pipe can be plugged and be plenty good. That is with exception to those 2 pressure differential tubes. They are a tine bomb waiting to happen. Have those cut off and welded over. I just use the mixer valve as a plug for the def injector without the def liquid line hooked to it and also the electric harness disconnected. It's not elegant but functional. I wrote something explaining the threading sizes to plug the EGT m12x1.25 and the NOX sensor M20x forgot pitch but thread has it. I will go hunt for this and add link. I personally wouldn't want a ecoturd err Ecotuned DDE to get out to our brethren. That damn thing is still functioning the EGR unless Stan finally got that fixed. Stepping off soap box.
Can i weld up the 2 pressure tubes with the ecotune software still on it?..i mean if its just a couple more codes whatever..until i can get retuned.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #42
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Hmm. I can give you a qualitative answer here. I don't think the Ecotune tune will care if you cut/weld up the pressure sensor tubes. I can't say this with 100% certainty though. You'll have to own your decision to cut/weld without retune. I honestly can't see how this hurts you though as there is no pressure difference.

Recall my idea to test this by putting on U tube on those tubes with your current tune? Make sure you use material that can handle the exhaust gas temps though. I've never done this so can't point you to a part or link.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #43
highrollindreamz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm. I can give you a qualitative answer here. I don't think the Ecotune tune will care if you cut/weld up the pressure sensor tubes. I can't say this with 100% certainty though. You'll have to own your decision to cut/weld without retune. I honestly can't see how this hurts you though as there is no pressure difference.

Recall my idea to test this by putting on U tube on those tubes with your current tune? Make sure you use material that can handle the exhaust gas temps though. I've never done this so can't point you to a part or link.
Yea..i forgot bout that.would be a good test.i would think one could do it only for a few minutes and see if any other codes generated but im with you, wth are they even there for if there would be no pressure differences
Appreciate 0