E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Intermittent Electrical Shutdown (lasts 1/2 second)

08-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #23
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

I have 3 flukes. The one from '82 (an 8060a) was dead accurate but did some weird stuff until I drowned the switches in deoxit. Works great now. The one from '89 needed a rebuild to clean the LCD rubber zebra strip, but it's the most accurate meter I have (if almost least precise). I trust them supremely. Of course, probes wear out
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 12:23 PM   #24
speedball73
Rep
Drives: 325i Silver (2006)

Hi all - an update: sadly my repairs so far have not corrected the issue (winter is coming, and in rainy weather this fall I've had one or two dropouts).

I did manage to procure a complete battery harness ($70 on ebay), so I now have a choice to either replace it completely (looks painful, any advice?) or at least cut off the corroded parts and replace with crimp.

I did also spot a braided cable on the drivers side of the lower engine bay (you can see it through the opening in the driver's wheel well - it is nearly falling apart - I've used some duct tape to reinforce it, but I'm wondering what the purpose of this cable is?

I think I've found the part online, its called an interference suppression cable - any idea what it does?

thanks for any comments/advice,

-speedball73
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #25
speedball73
Rep
Drives: 325i Silver (2006)

Hi all,

I wanted to post an update as I have not made any repairs to the electrical system since I patched up the "Interference Suppression Cable" in the engine bay.

I have cleaned up some of the rust on the exterior of the battery compartment, but no further cleanup to electrical system.

I have now completed a number of longer drives in the car under similar conditions to where I experienced the dropouts, and I'm pleased to report I have not experienced any issues at all.

I have purchased a replacement "Interference Suppression Cable" that I plan on installing next time I have the car up on the jack, but for now I think it is fixed.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

-speedball73
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 06:56 PM   #26
ivibmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedball73 View Post
Hi all,

I wanted to post an update as I have not made any repairs to the electrical system since I patched up the "Interference Suppression Cable" in the engine bay.

I have cleaned up some of the rust on the exterior of the battery compartment, but no further cleanup to electrical system.

I have now completed a number of longer drives in the car under similar conditions to where I experienced the dropouts, and I'm pleased to report I have not experienced any issues at all.

I have purchased a replacement "Interference Suppression Cable" that I plan on installing next time I have the car up on the jack, but for now I think it is fixed.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.

-speedball73
What cable did you patch up? Is it the one on the passenger side near the windshield washer reservoir that looks like a ground cable?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2024, 02:12 PM   #27
JimmyV12
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 F30 / BMW 335i E90

So what ended up being the issue im having the same problem i already bought a new alternator, voltage regulator and a battery still getting votage spikes
Appreciate 0