E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Stock location silicone inlets?

01-11-2022, 12:17 PM   #23
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92N54 View Post
The real main benefit to inlets and/or outlets is the reduced WGDC. If you're at 70% WGDC on stock inlets/outlets, chances are that'll drop to around 60-65% with upgrades ones. Meaning you can then up the WGDC back to 70% and squeeze a little more out, or just put a little less stress on them if you leave it alone. They won't do a whole lot by themselves, especially on an OTS map.
I was pretty much maxing out my stock turbos at 20-21 PSI on the MHD V5 E40 tune........inlets made zero improvements in straight line performance. I might have seen 2-4% reduction in WGDC in the lower RPM's, but aside from it showing it on paper......you couldn't feel it, or detect any faster acceleration with Draggy. And if he's only running the MHD maps that target around 16psi......it's not like the stock inlets are much of a restriction at all.

I see lots of people saying how "silicone inlets make the car pull so much harder"......but I've never seen any data to back that up....but I have Draggy data to show they didn't do anything for my car.

It's the placebo affect....everyone wants to convince themselves that the $250-$300 they spent on inlets was a wise choice, so they will feel "more power" even if they didn't gain more power.

......Just saying.....
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:36 PM   #24
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92N54 View Post
The real main benefit to inlets and/or outlets is the reduced WGDC. If you're at 70% WGDC on stock inlets/outlets, chances are that'll drop to around 60-65% with upgrades ones. Meaning you can then up the WGDC back to 70% and squeeze a little more out, or just put a little less stress on them if you leave it alone. They won't do a whole lot by themselves, especially on an OTS map.
I was pretty much maxing out my stock turbos at 20-21 PSI on the MHD V5 E40 tune........inlets made zero improvements in straight line performance. I might have seen 2-4% reduction in WGDC in the lower RPM's, but aside from it showing it on paper......you couldn't feel it, or detect any faster acceleration with Draggy. And if he's only running the MHD maps that target around 16psi......it's not like the stock inlets are much of a restriction at all.

I see lots of people saying how "silicone inlets make the car pull so much harder"......but I've never seen any data to back that up....but I have Draggy data to show they didn't do anything for my car.

It's the placebo affect....everyone wants to convince themselves that the $250-$300 they spent on inlets was a wise choice, so they will feel "more power" even if they didn't gain more power.

......Just saying.....
I'm not making the claim that they translate to faster times or even more power. All i'm saying is it reduces WGDC (which we both know is true) which in turn could allow you to run a little bit more boost at the same WGDC as before.
      01-11-2022, 02:39 PM   #25
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Sure....on paper you might see slightly less WGDC....with no measure improvements to be had.

For $250-$300 I can think of a lot better things to buy that would actually make a noticable improvement in the performance of the car.

.....that's all I was trying to say.
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54532.00
      01-11-2022, 03:23 PM   #26
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Sure....on paper you might see slightly less WGDC....with no measure improvements to be had.

For $250-$300 I can think of a lot better things to buy that would actually make a noticable improvement in the performance of the car.

.....that's all I was trying to say.
Absolutely. Only reason I installed inlets with my OEM Billets was that Rob gave me a pretty fantastic deal on them.
      01-11-2022, 04:03 PM   #27
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Guys lets be honest, you KNOW if keeping your stock inlets the mod bug will bite you once again as it always does and you'll be like 'meh for a small $300 I can do a another power mod, why not...' So much easier to get them in with the turbos out and only helps, just do it.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 06:53 PM   #28
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Guys lets be honest, you KNOW if keeping your stock inlets the mod bug will bite you once again as it always does and you'll be like 'meh for a small $300 I can do a another power mod, why not...' So much easier to get them in with the turbos out and only helps, just do it.
Agreed....if you are replacing the turbos with bigger ones, inlets are a no brainer. Bigger turbos need the extra flow. It's supper easy to install them if you already have the subframe dropped/out for installing new turbos.

But for stock turbos...it's a waste of time and money. They just don't need the added flow.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 08:20 PM   #29
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

Quote:
Agreed....if you are replacing the turbos with bigger ones, inlets are a no brainer. Bigger turbos need the extra flow. It's supper easy to install them if you already have the subframe dropped/out for installing new turbos.

But for stock turbos...it's a waste of time and money. They just don't need the added flow.
Just if you are replacing, even with stock. There is no extra time added in the scope and they only help.
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 10:00 PM   #30
E90lmao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 e46 325i, 2008 e90 335i

Quote:
Quote:

Just if you are replacing, even with stock. There is no extra time added in the scope and they only help.
I get that, I really do, but with my current situation I rather that money go to new front tires in prep for next track season over inlets. I know there's a possibility I'd be going bigger turbos down the line and yeah they'd be nice to have in right now, but my priorities are set for my build currently. But thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 10:04 PM   #31
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Sure....of you are messing with your turbos at all, might as well install some silicone inlets. They don't really help with power on stock turbos....but of you want to throw away $250......I guess that would be a good way to do it.

On the other hand....you could leave the oem inlets, and spend that $250 on something that actually does something like subframe bushings, brake pads, diff brace, MHD, a stage 2 LPFP, etc,etc...
Appreciate 0